August 09, 2020, 03:24:35 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2047815 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13725 on: July 07, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
@CameronJohnston have you come across Shadow of a Dead God: A Mennik Thorn Novel by Patrick Samphire? Think it's in the current SPFBO. I haven't read it but from looking at the blurb, it seems like it has lots of parallels to your books, right?

I hadn't read the blurb on that one, but yeah seems to be a fair few similarities. As they say, nothing new under the sun, just different takes and twists. I'm sure it's very different.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bender

« Reply #13726 on: July 07, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »
Ofc, would be harsh to jump to conclusions without having read the book. I liked yours, so have his on TBR too. Fingers crossed, it's as good!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13727 on: July 08, 2020, 07:53:50 AM »
Ofc, would be harsh to jump to conclusions without having read the book. I liked yours, so have his on TBR too. Fingers crossed, it's as good!

Hah. Thanks for the indirect recommendation, I just added the novel to my TBR list too. I guess it's the same issue as with Nevernight and Red Sister. Both with badass female assassin protagonists who went to train at some assassin training place. They both came out relatively around the same time too.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13728 on: July 08, 2020, 07:58:07 AM »
Finished The White Rose (The Black Company #3)

I think I'll start Dune by Frank Herbert (or maybe Foundation by Isaac Asimov)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13729 on: July 08, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »

Hah. Thanks for the indirect recommendation, I just added the novel to my TBR list too. I guess it's the same issue as with Nevernight and Red Sister. Both with badass female assassin protagonists who went to train at some assassin training place. They both came out relatively around the same time too.

Right back at you. I didn't know of Nevernight and that looks super interesting. Have added to my TBR.  :)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13730 on: July 08, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »

Right back at you. I didn't know of Nevernight and that looks super interesting. Have added to my TBR.  :)

Xiagan strongly suggests Nevernight
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13731 on: July 08, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
Halfway through Lord of Light by Roger Zelanzy and it's pretty intriguing till now. Settlers from earth find new world and assume status as Hindu Gods ruling over population because of their technological superiority. 

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13732 on: July 08, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »
More blood and sex than in Red Sister (take that as you want). The series are not really comparable, though.
Both have interesting world building, I think I find Lawrence's a bit more intriguing.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13733 on: July 09, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »

S. K. Inkslinger strongly suggests Nevernight too.  ;D

Offline isos81

« Reply #13734 on: July 10, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
Started Paternus: Wrath of Gods by Dyrk Ashton.

Couldn't resist Bender's praises :)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13735 on: July 10, 2020, 09:17:04 AM »
Started a re-read of the Blade Itself. It's interesting to read it trying to pick up on hints about the ending of the series.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13736 on: July 10, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
It's interesting to read it trying to pick up on hints about the ending of the series.
That's the best thing of re-reads, I do that as well.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13737 on: July 10, 2020, 02:54:12 PM »
I've been slowly re-reading the Dresden Files. And when I say slowly, I picked up Storm Front for the 2nd time in 2015 (I had to check Goodsreads!) and I'm up to Cold Days.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13738 on: July 11, 2020, 01:23:56 AM »

Lord of Light
- Roger Zelazny

Overall: +9

Oh, my! What a book. Blends Hindu and Buddhist mythology and mysticism smoothly within a sci-fi world and yet also manages to pack an taut and twisting plot to keep readers guessing to boot.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +8

The writing style is completely in line with the theme of the book. Feels very Buddhist. It's delightful how he even manages to convey the adrenalin of a battle with the calm of meditation. They should contradict each other by all means, but the author really makes it work. There's a lot of flowery prose and mystical musings like you'd hear from any guru or priest but these blend in well without detracting from the plot or slowing the pace.

There are a lot of terms (like 'atman') from Hindu mythology, but most have explanations next to them to prevent the need to google up for those not versed in the mythology. The book would really work well and does not need any prior information on Hinduism/Buddhism, though having that helps appreciate the plot better.

The book is essentially broken into 3 segments, a prelude in current times, a backstory and climax set in current time with the backstory taking the bulk of pace space. The mythology is given scientific backing in a very realistic fashion, a new lens to see the stories.

Characters: +9

Story obviously follows Buddha, but the supporting cast are given amply page time and play significant roles. every character is etched well and sticks well to the story. Though there is a maudlin tone to the characters, they are all unique and highly interesting.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13739 on: July 11, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
I've been slowly re-reading the Dresden Files. And when I say slowly, I picked up Storm Front for the 2nd time in 2015 (I had to check Goodsreads!) and I'm up to Cold Days.

I've just recently finished Cold Days as well. What do you think about the book? Personally, I still prefer the pre-Changes Dresden Files all the way.