August 06, 2020, 11:15:45 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2046071 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13710 on: July 01, 2020, 06:05:02 PM »
Reading the ARC Dart by Dale Renton now. Looks be a snarky sci-fi light read.
Aching God (Iconoclasts #1) by Mike Shel is next in line.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Peat

« Reply #13711 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
Just finished a re-read of Kerr's Deverry Cycle. Not sure what to do now. Got some ARCs to do but not feeling it.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13712 on: July 02, 2020, 12:54:47 AM »
Just finished a re-read of Kerr's Deverry Cycle. Not sure what to do now. Got some ARCs to do but not feeling it.

Does Deverry hold up over the years? I've been wondering about revisiting both that and Katherine Kurtz, but I'm not sure how much my own reading has shifted my views on what makes a good fantasy since I first read them in the 90s.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13713 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:12 AM »

Does Deverry hold up over the years? I've been wondering about revisiting both that and Katherine Kurtz, but I'm not sure how much my own reading has shifted my views on what makes a good fantasy since I first read them in the 90s.
I read a few of them. Lejays17 read them all. Once I finish the H’s, the I’s and the J’s on my reread/partial reread challenge I’ll do the Deverry Cycle as the K’s.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Peat

« Reply #13714 on: July 02, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »

It's mostly held at the same standard for me, which is to say mostly Very Good with a few Excellent books in there. The last series dips for a number of reasons but is still fun.

There are some things that I can see irking. I think the chief one is a lot of the books are about good old fashioned adventure & politics where the boys get together and smash skulls and stab each other in the back and have terrible internal conflicts between duty & desire. And yes, the books are largely a critique of testosterone poisoning, but by showing lots of it. I think you read them again, you'd either enjoy them immensely for that angle, or get frustrated by it, and I'm not sure which.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13715 on: July 02, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »

Coming to both series fresh in the last few years, I liked the first Deverry book more than the first Deryni book. Enough that I have the second Deverry book, although I'm not exactly racing through them.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: July 02, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
Reading Godsgrave the second book in the Nevernight series by Jay Kristoff.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #13717 on: July 02, 2020, 11:24:50 PM »
Currently reading Shadow Rising from the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13718 on: July 04, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »
Finished The Cost of Survival (System Apocalypse #3) by Tao Wong. An enjoyable quick filler. Still six books to go in the series, but this finishes the first arc.

Then I had a last-minute change of plan and started King's Dragon (Crown of Stars #1) by Kate Elliott because it came up for a book club on Reddit. I was supposed to be reading my Prime Reading books so I can let my subscription drop in August, but this is a second-hand paperback.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: July 04, 2020, 02:41:12 PM »
Finished Godsgrave. Very good again. Especially if you like Gladiators. It's quite gory but if that doesn't put you off I'll heartily recommend them.

The only grieve I have with this series is that people die either too easy or too hard depending on their plot armor. Our MC gets shot with a crossbow in her ass cheek (where it sticks) and she can still run, albeit not fast and her enemies usually suffer one or two fatal wounds in as many seconds and are done for.
In the same vein, she and other characters are beaten, cut or bruised quite regularly and either heal faster than normal or don't care much about their injuries. They're mostly minor inconveniences. Like in the case where a band of fighters swears a blood vow and all cut the inside of their hands. Which may not be the best place for professional fighters who need to grip weapons daily...

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13720 on: July 04, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
a band of fighters swears a blood vow and all cut the inside of their hands. Which may not be the best place for professional fighters who need to grip weapons daily...
;D
I noticed that, every time someone needs to get blood it's always from the palm, when other places in the body are much better for less inconvenience, hehe

I've now started my re-read of Emperor of thorns.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #13721 on: July 04, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
Like in the case where a band of fighters swears a blood vow and all cut the inside of their hands. Which may not be the best place for professional fighters who need to grip weapons daily...

Maybe they cut their off hands? :)

Finished Shadows Linger. Much better than the first book. I think I'm gonna read 3rd book, The White Rose, in the series.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: July 05, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
Like in the case where a band of fighters swears a blood vow and all cut the inside of their hands. Which may not be the best place for professional fighters who need to grip weapons daily...

Maybe they cut their off hands? :)
They either have a dagger or a shield in the off hand, so there isn't really an off hand. ;)

Started the third in the series, Darkdawn.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13723 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
@CameronJohnston have you come across Shadow of a Dead God: A Mennik Thorn Novel by Patrick Samphire? Think it's in the current SPFBO. I haven't read it but from looking at the blurb, it seems like it has lots of parallels to your books, right?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13724 on: July 06, 2020, 10:14:41 PM »
I've just started High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider #1)  a weird western novel by Edward Erdelac.