July 11, 2020, 08:42:44 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2025087 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13695 on: June 27, 2020, 05:56:49 AM »

Anyway, I started Nevernight because I read that it's very similar to Red Sister by Mark Lawrence (was released at about the same time). :)

I've found some pretty scathing reviews on YouTube, but they make me actually want to read it. It sounds hilarious. And if it is actually a solid book, well I wouldn't mind that either.

Nevernight is amazing. Mia Corvere is definitely one of my favorite female characters in fantasy. She's a proper badass, that one. The footnotes all throughout the entire trilogy was great too.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: June 27, 2020, 01:35:53 PM »
Started A Hero Born by Jin Yong (Anna Holmwood's translation). Only a chapter in but it has really gripped me so far.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online isos81

« Reply #13697 on: June 29, 2020, 05:41:57 AM »
Finished I, Robot and started Planet of the Apes.

Some Sci-Fi for me :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13698 on: June 29, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »

Wha did you think of Planet of the Apes? I often find it amazing that the other book the author of that is known for is The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Then again John Hilton wrote Lost Horizon and Goodbye Mr Chips.

Online isos81

« Reply #13699 on: June 29, 2020, 02:12:21 PM »

Wha did you think of Planet of the Apes? I often find it amazing that the other book the author of that is known for is The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Then again John Hilton wrote Lost Horizon and Goodbye Mr Chips.

The Planet of the Apes movie, actually all Apes movies are among my favorites, so I did enjoy the novel. It was like rewatching the movie, since I constantly pictured actors in my head while reading :)

I also watched The Bridge over the River Kwai and loved that too, but didn't know that the author is the same.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13700 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »
I'm still reading Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery. It doesn't look like I'm going to finish it before the end of the month, but I'm enjoying it. It's quite a different book to the Stephen Aryan Battlemage I just read. This one's more of a classic "young friends begin to find their powers" kind of story. So far, at least. I think it's long enough that it's going to be the whole epic arc including the training and the ultimate victory against the chief bad-guy, but we'll see.
Spoke too soon. I finished Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery last night. A complete epic story in one (longish) volume. Very enjoyable.

I'm starting the next System Apocalypse book, next, The Cost of Survival by Tao Wong. This is my KOLL loan book for June, and I'm thinking I want to get stuck into my Prime Reading books, too, in case I decide not to renew my membership in August. I was planning to try a month of all borrowed books at some point, and July might be it. Although, no, I'll want to read my regular Agatha Christie, too, and I already own that.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13701 on: June 29, 2020, 02:22:10 PM »
Rereading a history book about the Venetian republic for research. After that, I think I might reread the First Law trilogy.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: June 29, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »

How did you find I, Robot? I reread it earlier this year and found some parts held up better than others.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online isos81

« Reply #13703 on: June 29, 2020, 03:28:58 PM »

How did you find I, Robot? I reread it earlier this year and found some parts held up better than others.

It was so-so, wasn't impressed so much. I think there were 8 or 9 short stories. 1 or 2 were above average, and the rest was average (some felt like copy-cat).

Planet of the Apes is much better IMO.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
Finished Nevernight. Why, oh why didn't I buy the rest of the trilogy too?
Very good and decidedly different from Red Sister. It's only a bit similar because the main character is a mass-murdering badass of a girl which does everything for her friends.
I enjoyed the foot notes too.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online isos81

« Reply #13705 on: June 30, 2020, 05:56:12 AM »
Finished Nevernight.

By Jay Kristoff? You recommend it?

Finished Planet of the Apes. Started Shadows Linger - The Black Company #2

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: June 30, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online isos81

« Reply #13707 on: June 30, 2020, 04:56:44 PM »
Finished Nevernight.

Yes!

2 of the trilogy were translated into Turkish. Will read after the 3rd one is out. Thanks :)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13708 on: July 01, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
Finished The Girl and The Stars nice ending but felt a bit jumbled and not as smooth as Mark can write.

Finished Sabrial and moved onto Lirial

Started The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep. Nice idea the execution is lacking so far

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13709 on: July 01, 2020, 08:35:11 AM »
Finished Nevernight.

Yes!

2 of the trilogy were translated into Turkish. Will read after the 3rd one is out. Thanks :)

Huge recommendation from me, hahah. I totally loved the books.