October 22, 2020, 08:04:52 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2085316 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13680 on: June 24, 2020, 08:49:27 AM »
I started re-reading the Broken empire trilogy.

I'm almost finished with Prince of Thorns and I'll continue with the other two (even if I'm picking up new books this afternoon).
I'm happy to report that I still really love this book :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #13681 on: June 24, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
I started re-reading the Broken empire trilogy.

I'm almost finished with Prince of Thorns and I'll continue with the other two (even if I'm picking up new books this afternoon).
I'm happy to report that I still really love this book :D

Did you read Road Brothers?

I finished 1st of The Black Company. Planning to read Murderbot #1
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13682 on: June 24, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »
Yes, I got that one too. It was good but I prefer novels to short stories.
I'm also keener on Jorg than the brothers, so didn't really connect with some stories.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13683 on: June 25, 2020, 04:51:13 AM »
Yes, I got that one too. It was good but I prefer novels to short stories.
I'm also keener on Jorg than the brothers, so didn't really connect with some stories.

This reminded me that I never got around to reading Road Brothers as well. Maybe someday...

I'm reading Renegades. Another amazing series by Marissa Meyer.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13684 on: June 25, 2020, 05:48:00 AM »
Paternus - Gods of War
- Dyrk Ashton

Overall: +10

"Cry 'Havoc!,and let slip the gods of war."

Ashton's own take on Shakespeare's classic perfectly summarizes the book. An epic read with just an 4hr overnight sleep sandwiched in and I'm exhausted. This was a roller coaster ride worth the wait. I'm sad the trilogy is done and demand more books be written ;-/

All in all one of my favourite trilogies of all time! Highly recommended.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +10

The books picks off couple of hours after last book ended and just continues seamlessly. If you all were astounded on the sheer amount of mythology packed in earlier two books and were wondering if Ashton could top those, have no fear.

For me this book is the best of the trilogy, not because it was the biggest or has the baddest battles but that it has the most emotional content. I was awestruck on epicness of battles, cringing when the protagonists were going through a touch time, ecstatic when they are successful...the book just sucks you right in. Also this is the first book where we get detailed segments on Khagan/Kleron and Asuras which makes this well rounded.

Characters: +10

Considering the whole trilogy happens within a span of couple of weeks, I'm happy to see the character development fleshed out well. The PoV's shift constantly and a lot of minor characters get time of significance which really makes the world so much more richer. Certain scenes like introduction of the Aesir were a bit overwhelming due to sheer number of names dropped but the significance of the characters in later plot makes it worthwhile.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13685 on: June 25, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
I went to a SFF book shop which sells new and second hand books.
I bought second hand: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and two follow ups, the Three body problem by Cixin Liu.
I bought new: The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemesin, Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett and Nevernight by Jay Kristoff.

There were sooo many books I wanted to buy!

Anyway, I started Nevernight because I read that it's very similar to Red Sister by Mark Lawrence (was released at about the same time). :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13686 on: June 25, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »
I went to a SFF book shop which sells new and second hand books.
I bought second hand: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and two follow ups, the Three body problem by Cixin Liu.
I bought new: The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemesin, Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett and Nevernight by Jay Kristoff.

There were sooo many books I wanted to buy!

Anyway, I started Nevernight because I read that it's very similar to Red Sister by Mark Lawrence (was released at about the same time). :)

I was wondering about that book. Quite curious whether or not you will like it :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13687 on: June 25, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »
I enjoyed the footnotes in Nevernight, but the book itself not so much.

Highly recommend you start Three Body though.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13688 on: June 25, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »
Funnily enough, that's the reason why I'm not sure I want to read it...

Offline Skip

« Reply #13689 on: June 26, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
Currently reading Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevile Shute. The last fantasy book was Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster which I gave up on after a few chapters. The last actually good fantasy book was Assaph Mehr's In Numina, which was quite a good mystery with plenty of magic set atop a solid foundation of history.
Visit Altearth

Offline isos81

« Reply #13690 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:33 AM »
Don't feel like to read 2nd book of The Black Company. Thinking of some Sci-Fi.

Murderbot, Foundation or some standalones (Philip K. Dick, Stanislaw Lem, Pierre Boulle etc.) are candidates.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13691 on: June 26, 2020, 08:24:08 AM »
I've read both, and there are some superficial similarities, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of either trilogy.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13692 on: June 26, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
I've read both, and there are some superficial similarities, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of either trilogy.
Good to know, thanks

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13693 on: June 26, 2020, 01:40:56 PM »
Currently reading Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevile Shute.
I read that a couple of years ago. My dad was a fan of Shute, and I inherited his collection. I try to read one every now and again. It's probably about time I read another.

I'm still reading Battle Mage by Peter A Flannery. It doesn't look like I'm going to finish it before the end of the month, but I'm enjoying it. It's quite a different book to the Stephen Aryan Battlemage I just read. This one's more of a classic "young friends begin to find their powers" kind of story. So far, at least. I think it's long enough that it's going to be the whole epic arc including the training and the ultimate victory against the chief bad-guy, but we'll see.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #13694 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

I've found some pretty scathing reviews on YouTube, but they make me actually want to read it. It sounds hilarious. And if it is actually a solid book, well I wouldn't mind that either.