July 13, 2020, 03:38:37 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026777 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13635 on: June 03, 2020, 01:41:04 PM »
I liked Age of Assassins, too. I haven't got the second one yet.

I finished Shadow Prowler (Chronicles of Siala #1) by Alexey Pehov. It was very D&D. All the fantasy races (not always in their traditional forms - the elves here are related to the orcs, and aren't Orlando Bloom pretty-boys), a Thieves Guild, scrolls you can only cast once, a dark lord massing on the border of the land, etc, etc. It even looks like it's heading for a classic dungeon-crawl, but they don't actually get that far in book 1. The books features Shadow Harold, the master thief, who gets tangled up in world events and ends up, not wholly willingly, on a quest for the king. There is some clunky language, maybe due to the translation. It's first-person, and the tone is quite light. It wasn't great, but I kind of liked it. I might read the rest of the trilogy one day.

I didn't know what I wanted to read after that, so I browsed through my Kindle until something caught my eye, and it was the The Labyrinth Makers by Anthony Price. Which kind of sounds like fantasy but is actually a spy story.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: June 03, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »
Finished Naomi Novik's Spinning Silver. I liked it a lot and it felt close to Katherine Arden's The Bear and the Nightingale and, of course, to Uprooted.

Next will be N.K. Jemisin's How long until Black Future Month? and/or Turning Darkness into Light by Marie Brennan.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #13637 on: June 05, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »
Finished Aether's Blessing (Aether's Revival #1) by Daniel Schinhofen.

Candidate for worst cover art of all time. It's a Japanese anime influenced university/training type story that's a decent read. The worldbuilding and macro plot is interesting but those take a backseat to some cringeworthy slow burn romance.

The author really has a way with words and can write a good story...but looks like his focus is in wrong place.

5/10

Now starting The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga #1) by C.T. Phipps
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13638 on: June 06, 2020, 09:18:01 AM »
I just finished Bloody Rose. It's a grudging 5 stars from me, and I have to say it's one hell of a bloody good read. The things about Nicholas Eames is that he write standalone novels, which is what I both loved and hated about the series. The books being standalone made the story fast paced, high staked, with memorable endings and a sense of compact, yet fulfilling feeling only standalones could give. What I hated about them is that when the story ends just when things started to get really good. I'd love to read more about Saga by the end of Kings of the Wyld, then boom, the book ended. I'd loved to read more about Fable by the end of Bloody Rose, and boom, that book ended too. So that's why it's a grudging 5 stars from me, hahah.  ;D I don't know what will Nicholas write about in his third book, but I'm just certain that it'll be an absolutely brilliant read as well.

I'm starting Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: June 06, 2020, 01:43:04 PM »
Currently 100 pages into Priory of the Orange Tree An odd book so far, and not one I'd have picked up without recommendations from here. The map is clearly just East Asia, the paperback has no blurb and even the quotes in the front don't give me a clue what it's about. Very slow going, and this book is a brick and a half, but I think I'm approaching some kind of plot now.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13640 on: June 06, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
Strange, I wonder what edition you have, Alex :o
I also got the paperback, but it's got a blurb and TWO maps (so in 3 pages): one of the main kingdoms and then the second one of the East, which as you say it's inspired in the Far East but I also saw elements of Hawaii/Pacific Islands culture.

Anyway, I won't be annoyed if you don't like it (just sad, hehe), I understand different people like different things
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: June 06, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
Mine's got the two maps, though irritatingly no indication of how close they are to each other. But the back cover is just more reviews. Ordered off Waterstones, so I assume it's the regular paperback edition.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13642 on: June 06, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
Oh right, it's the same as mine, I just checked! I never read the blurb, so I hadn't realised... although that 3-sentence "highlight" is a bit of a blurb...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #13643 on: June 06, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
I just finished The Winter Road by Adrian Selby... heartbreaking ending/and yet life affirming too.

Now I've got to get back to Paternus 2!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13644 on: June 06, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
The Winter Road is excellent and hits you in the feels. I guess you would normally have a huge TBR this time of year with the SPFBO.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13645 on: June 06, 2020, 03:09:25 PM »
I just finished The Winter Road by Adrian Selby... heartbreaking ending/and yet life affirming too.

Now I've got to get back to Paternus 2!

Good timing. Paternus 3 is out in couple of weeks.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13646 on: June 06, 2020, 08:00:33 PM »
The Winter Road is excellent and hits you in the feels.
Worst ending to a fantasy book I've ever read.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13647 on: June 07, 2020, 01:14:06 AM »
Oh right, it's the same as mine, I just checked! I never read the blurb, so I hadn't realised... although that 3-sentence "highlight" is a bit of a blurb...
Mine has a blurb, but it’s on the inside of the front cover.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #13648 on: June 08, 2020, 04:05:09 AM »

Rules of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #1)
Games of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #2)
- C.T. Phipps

A outrageously silly take on the genre which is just so much fun. I can't recall when I actually had laugh out loud moments in a book before. Characters felt right out of One Punch Man.

Book about Gary who gets the super-cloak of a dead hero and decides to be a supervillain but realizes he really isn't villain material. Just a roller-coaster of silliness and fun.

8/10
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:07:16 AM by Bender »

Online isos81

« Reply #13649 on: June 08, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »
Rules of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #1)
Games of Supervillainy (Supervillainy Saga #2)
- C.T. Phipps

A outrageously silly take on the genre which is just so much fun. I can't recall when I actually had laugh out loud moments in a book before. Characters felt right out of One Punch Man.

Book about Gary who gets the super-cloak of a dead hero and decides to be a supervillain but realizes he really isn't villain material. Just a roller-coaster of silliness and fun.

8/10
I'm really curious about this. How come you find such rare books? :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'