July 13, 2020, 02:55:25 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026759 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13605 on: May 25, 2020, 03:51:09 PM »
I've now started Samantha Shannon's The priory of the orange tree and from the first few pages, it's looking really promising!
Argh, I just want to continue reading more and more, but I get a headache!
This book is SO GOOD :D :D

I finished :'(
Once in a while you do read a book that touches you everywhere, for all different reasons, and this is it, a perfect book.
And I only got it because I decided that the book I'd bought with Peat wasn't really my style: little did I know that it was fate! ;D

I don't know what to read now... I need a day's break to clear my head...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13606 on: May 26, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
I've now started Samantha Shannon's The priory of the orange tree and from the first few pages, it's looking really promising!

that touches you everywhere

These particular phrases just sounded so wrong, hahah.  ;D

I've just started Bloody Rose and while it was good, it reminded me of how much I missed the old Kings of the Wyld crew. I just wish there would be more adventures with them, maybe even a prequel? (On the same note I'd love to read a prequel of Powdermage series, back when Tamas was a Gurlish war hero)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: May 26, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »

that touches you everywhere

These particular phrases just sounded so wrong, hahah.  ;D

I've just started Bloody Rose and while it was good, it reminded me of how much I missed the old Kings of the Wyld crew. I just wish there would be more adventures with them, maybe even a prequel? (On the same note I'd love to read a prequel of Powdermage series, back when Tamas was a Gurlish war hero)

Have you seen the Powder Mage novellas? I know there's an Adamat prequel and a Ben Styke one. All ebooks only, and I believe they're all prequels of some kind.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #13608 on: May 26, 2020, 11:34:20 AM »
As Alex said, Powder Mage has prequel novellas, telling about young Tamas. You can check if you're interested.

I also would like to read about the Kings of the Wyld crew and how they became so famous.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13609 on: May 26, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »
I moved on to the second System Apocalypse book, Redeemer of the Dead by Tao Wong. I knew I'd just rush through it, and I'm half way through already. It's an action-packed LitRPG and makes a good change of pace.
Finished this already. This is going to make a good "snack" series, when I need a quick read between heavier things.

I think I'm going to read Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov next. It's been a long-term goal of mine to read every book ever nominated for the David Gemmell Morningstar Award, and I haven't read a single one so far this year. This one (shortlisted in 2011) is the only remaining one I have in paperback. I don't really know much about it.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13610 on: May 26, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »
Forging Hephaestus
- by Drew Hayes

Overall: +8

Lovely superhero fantasy read that is engaging from get go and keep you engrossed all the way to the epic climax. Looking forward eagerly to book 2.

Plot/Pace/Writing: +8

The writing is smooth and story unravels seamlessly giving perspective on the protagonist and the world at large. The worldbuilding is really good as we see the perspectives of both the heroes and villains. Though the plot per se doesn't deviate from standards of the genre, the way it is handled makes all the difference. There are a couple of places where I got a "Hmm, that way too convenient!" type moments to get the plot moving, but despite that they don't detract too much from the book.

Characters: +8

The cast if just well etched and colorful. We just don't get the "they have x and y superpowers" ut we get to see more on intentions and perspectives of most characters. They dynamics between the characters and the heroes vs villains divide is shown nicely from perspectives of different characters in both camps.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13611 on: May 27, 2020, 06:03:30 AM »
@Alex Hormann and @isos81 Oh dang, now that's interesting. I'll definitely have to check that out, even if I am predominantly a paper book reader but this is just too interesting to pass. Thanks guys.  :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13612 on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »

Once in a while you do read a book that touches you everywhere, for all different reasons, and this is it, a perfect book.
And I only got it because I decided that the book I'd bought with Peat wasn't really my style: little did I know that it was fate! ;D

I don't know what to read now... I need a day's break to clear my head...
All the talk about this one made me pull it off the tbr pile. It’s quite good early days.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #13613 on: May 27, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »
Co-reading The Goblin Emperor. Overwhelmed with all those elvish names.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Peat

« Reply #13614 on: May 28, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
Just finished House of Sundering Flames and really not sure what I thought.

@ScarletBea - what PoVs did you like/not like?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13615 on: May 28, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »

*picks up book to remind self*
*browses*
Liked: Asmodeus and Thuan, and Philippe
Didn't care much: Emmanuelle and Aurore

Hmm it seems there's a pattern, in that I liked the stories with the characters with which I was more involved in previous books, and didn't care much for new or previously minor characters.

I think I said that my favourite of the 3 books was the second, what about you?

@Peat, I also just noticed you're now reading Why We Get the Wrong Politicians, that's a really great book and made me feel really sad and wondering if there's truly a way out of the mess ::) :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:29:13 PM by ScarletBea »

Online Peat

« Reply #13616 on: May 28, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »

*picks up book to remind self*
*browses*
Liked: Asmodeus and Thuan, and Philippe
Didn't care much: Emmanuelle and Aurore

Hmm it seems there's a pattern, in that I liked the stories with the characters with which I was more involved in previous books, and didn't care much for new or previously minor characters.

I think I said that my favourite of the 3 books was the second, what about you?

@Peat, I also just noticed you're now reading Why We Get the Wrong Politicians, that's a really great book and made me feel really sad and wondering if there's truly a way out of the mess ::) :D

I'll have to answer (probably in a different thread) on whether that's a way out of that mess later!

But as for HoSF, it's kinda a mess itself. Some parts I love, some parts I don't, but it's all crammed together and it just doesn't breathe. Maybe that's deliberate, that it's meant to be an intense book.

I think I also agree with your preferred PoVs, although Emmanuelle's has a stunning ending, and think they're also mostly portrayed as a little too sure of themselves and right.

Still not sure what I think of it tbh. Might be a day or two before it's clear enough to review, but maybe the uncertainty is the thing I need to point out.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13617 on: May 30, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
I'm now reading R.J. Barker's Age of assassins.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: May 31, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
War of the Maps by Paul McAuley
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bender

« Reply #13619 on: June 01, 2020, 02:50:11 AM »
Just started Priest of Bones by Peter McLean. Only a couple of pages in but writing seems a bit heavy handed till now. Fingers crossed!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6