November 24, 2020, 09:17:44 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2101885 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13560 on: May 10, 2020, 03:28:34 AM »
You wrote it better than I could. 16 ways was fun right up to the stupid let down.

It was more than a stupid let down. It was trash writing that wouldn't get past any editor if it was a new author.

Rogue protocol, yes!!!
Murderbot is my favorite series right now.

Rogue Protocol was decent, okay, but so far just a little bit better than All Systems Red. Feeling like the Murderbot series is over-hyped, but to each their own.

I am reading ‘A Little Hatred’ by Joe Abercrombie.

Tell me how it goes! I'm curious to see what it's like.

Started The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson. We'll see. I've heard mixed reviews.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13561 on: May 10, 2020, 04:43:07 AM »
You wrote it better than I could. 16 ways was fun right up to the stupid let down.

It was more than a stupid let down. It was trash writing that wouldn't get past any editor if it was a new author.

Harsh! :) I enjoyed the book, ending and all. Care to step over to the KJ Parker discussion thread and we can talk further details, even spoilers?

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13562 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »
I've started re-reading Anne Lyle's Night's masque trilogy, with The alchemist of souls.

I read it about 6 years ago and I just remember little bits and pieces. Set in a alternate England at the time of Queen Elizabeth I, it involves theatre players and Walsingham spies and a race from the New World that everyone wants to keep as allies :D
This trilogy is still great :D
As I wrote, I remembered little bits from book 1, but then I read book 2 and wow, talk about blank! I couldn't even remember it was mostly set in Venice!! It was like I was reading a brand new book, hehe
Anyway, I'm now on book 3, The prince of lies.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #13563 on: May 11, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
Read The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner yesterday. Still sorting my feelings out about it, but my feeling is it seems to have one strength - very readable - but isn't really above average in any other category.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13564 on: May 11, 2020, 11:14:01 AM »
I've started on Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff. I'm enjoying the ease of being able to read my hardbacks without worrying about them getting battered being carried around to and from work.

Unlike some people, I'm not put off by the footnotes. Although there has been one where the footnote was over half the page!  ;D I enjoy the acerbic and sarcastic tone of many them, so they do add to the story for me.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13565 on: May 11, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »
Read The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner yesterday. Still sorting my feelings out about it, but my feeling is it seems to have one strength - very readable - but isn't really above average in any other category.

I think this is pretty accurate for this first book - it is good, it is solidly written and nicely readable, it shows great promise of deft plot and solid character but they don't really shine here. The second book - The Queen of Attolia - levels up hard into something subtle and twisty and cunning and emotionally outstanding.

Offline Peat

« Reply #13566 on: May 11, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

I think this is pretty accurate for this first book - it is good, it is solidly written and nicely readable, it shows great promise of deft plot and solid character but they don't really shine here. The second book - The Queen of Attolia - levels up hard into something subtle and twisty and cunning and emotionally outstanding.

Guess I'll have to take a look at the next one; I probably hadn't been going to, but I trust you.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13567 on: May 11, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »

Guess I'll have to take a look at the next one; I probably hadn't been going to, but I trust you.
I used to have these on my kindle wishlist, and then the ebooks all disappeared from UK stores. Unless you want the German editions. Guess I won't read them, then.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:59:51 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13568 on: May 12, 2020, 04:22:21 AM »

...no pressure. :D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13569 on: May 12, 2020, 04:43:40 AM »
I've started on Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff. I'm enjoying the ease of being able to read my hardbacks without worrying about them getting battered being carried around to and from work.

Unlike some people, I'm not put off by the footnotes. Although there has been one where the footnote was over half the page!  ;D I enjoy the acerbic and sarcastic tone of many them, so they do add to the story for me.

I loved the footnotes in the Nevernight Chronicles. They're sometimes informative, but mostly snarky and pretty darn humorous, and they added to my reading experience, hahah.  ;D How are you finding Darkdawn so far, Cherie?

Offline Bender

« Reply #13570 on: May 12, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
Got an advance copy from @Divinitys Twilight .

A cracking read till now and good mix of magic and steampunk.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13571 on: May 12, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/work-to-be-critiqued/request-for-launch-team-members-and-reviewers-(divinity's-twilight-rebirth)/

Finished this @Divinitys Twilight

Overall: +7

A cracking read with a good mix of magic and steampunk. The book is essentially a place setter introducing the world and setting epic events in motion. The lack of a self contained in-book plot takes a bit of shine away, but the scope of events and brilliant worldbuilding are a joy to read. The book ties everything up in a nice arc and ends in a way that leads nicely to the next book. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.

Plot/Pace/Writing: +7

The book begins with a historical incident that sets the background for the story. Readers are dropped right into a blistering battle and caught up in the mix from get go. The story then moves to current times and we are introduced into a world with a nice mix of magic and steampunk (magetech as it is called here). Magical swordplay and spirit bullets mix freely with panzer divisions and airship feets but all these are portrayed in a organic manner that mesh well together.The story gets told through different pov's giving us more context and understanding of the ambitions of people involved.

A minor gripes it the order of chapters. Right when the action picks up, we get a change of pov that's sometimes jarring. And the flashback scenes at the end distract a lot away from the pace and progression of the story. But then these are minor gripes that in overall gets swept in the grand tale. 

The writing style is refreshing and easy to follow. Though we are dumped with a bunch of names and terms at the beginning, they get sorted out as book flows and we gain more understanding of the plot. The dialogue is immersive and avoids redundancies (which I really appreciate!).

Characters: +7

The main plot takes some getting used to and initial half of the book are spent in backstory and focus on characters that don't really play a big part in the actual plot. The later half focuses on the protagonist group of cadets and the antagonists but takes some time to get to that.

The characters are well etched, flawed and realistically portrayed. Even the antagonists are complex with their own internal politicking making for a delightful dynamic. 
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

« Reply #13572 on: May 13, 2020, 12:11:30 AM »

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/work-to-be-critiqued/request-for-launch-team-members-and-reviewers-(divinity's-twilight-rebirth)/

Finished this @Divinitys Twilight

Overall: +7

A cracking read with a good mix of magic and steampunk. The book is essentially a place setter introducing the world and setting epic events in motion. The lack of a self contained in-book plot takes a bit of shine away, but the scope of events and brilliant worldbuilding are a joy to read. The book ties everything up in a nice arc and ends in a way that leads nicely to the next book. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.

Plot/Pace/Writing: +7

The book begins with a historical incident that sets the background for the story. Readers are dropped right into a blistering battle and caught up in the mix from get go. The story then moves to current times and we are introduced into a world with a nice mix of magic and steampunk (magetech as it is called here). Magical swordplay and spirit bullets mix freely with panzer divisions and airship feets but all these are portrayed in a organic manner that mesh well together.The story gets told through different pov's giving us more context and understanding of the ambitions of people involved.

A minor gripes it the order of chapters. Right when the action picks up, we get a change of pov that's sometimes jarring. And the flashback scenes at the end distract a lot away from the pace and progression of the story. But then these are minor gripes that in overall gets swept in the grand tale. 

The writing style is refreshing and easy to follow. Though we are dumped with a bunch of names and terms at the beginning, they get sorted out as book flows and we gain more understanding of the plot. The dialogue is immersive and avoids redundancies (which I really appreciate!).

Characters: +7

The main plot takes some getting used to and initial half of the book are spent in backstory and focus on characters that don't really play a big part in the actual plot. The later half focuses on the protagonist group of cadets and the antagonists but takes some time to get to that.

The characters are well etched, flawed and realistically portrayed. Even the antagonists are complex with their own internal politicking making for a delightful dynamic.

Wow! What a stellar, detailed review! I'm delighted you enjoyed the world, characters, and a plot that is - as you mentioned - just beginning to unravel.

For anyone interested in the novel, please check out my website (https://www.christopherrussellauthor.com/) or look for the E-book version on June 2 (Amazon) and hard copies in-stores and online September 22. I can't wait to get feedback from more awesome readers! 

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #13573 on: May 14, 2020, 02:57:55 AM »

...no pressure. :D

Yes pressure from me, please give the next one a chance ;D
Dropping by and saw this, read this whole series and they get better and better.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13574 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »

I loved the footnotes in the Nevernight Chronicles. They're sometimes informative, but mostly snarky and pretty darn humorous, and they added to my reading experience, hahah.  ;D How are you finding Darkdawn so far, Cherie?

I have to confess I haven't actually got any further with it yet; my reading can only be described as sporadic at the moment.  :o