June 04, 2020, 02:24:03 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1993183 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13425 on: April 09, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
I've finished reading The Ace of Skulls (Ketty Jay #4). A solid 5/5 stars. The book does tricked me many times on how the ending could turned out, but I'm glad that it finally ended the way it did. I'll definitely be missing the crew of the Ketty Jay and their swashbuckling adventures.

I'm starting Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm also planning to stick to this series until the end this time, and I'm probably going to try to read only lighter/ happy books during this stressful quarantine season. Cheers.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13426 on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
I haven't been reading much at all. Still working my way through We Are The Dead by Mike Shackle, and also dipped into the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline isos81

« Reply #13427 on: April 09, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
Started Paternus. I'm overwhelmed right at the start.

;D Starts with a bang.

Wow, one chapter happens to be in Turkey, north-east region. It was interesting to read actual Turkish words :)

Bender, which one did you like more: This or Orconomics (this was the 1st if I'm not mistaken)?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13428 on: April 10, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
Mage Errant Trilogy
#1 - Into the Labyrinth
#2 - Jewel of the Endless Erg
#3 - A Traitor in Skyhold
-- John Bierce

Not sure why I liked this series so much. It faithfully follows all the standard tropes for this genre. The plot wasn't really devious......But, the worldbuilding is exceptional and the writing style just makes this easy to love.

Just old fashioned fantasy adventure romp. Light and fun

+7
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13429 on: April 10, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »
Bender, which one did you like more: This or Orconomics (this was the 1st if I'm not mistaken)?

That's a tough question to answer. Orconomics was just new and unlike anything I've read before. It had adventure, humour, was fun when it needed to be and serious as occasion calls for. Plus if you have some basic knowledge on 2008 financial crisis, you'll appreciate the satire more. (e.g. They have a bank called Goldson Baggs which is a play on Goldman Sachs). The economics of what led to the crisis was translated brilliantly into fantasy. Even for those who do not understand those, it still is a fun and engaging read. I can guarantee you'd have never read anything like this before. Very Pratchett'esque!

Paternus is like watching the movie Expendables but with mythology figures instead. It starts off with a bang and never lets up till end of 2nd book. I suspect upcoming Book 3 will be the same. This is mythology based which is another favourite genre of mine. You get infodumped a lot and sometimes you feel as if you're in a classroom being lectured upon...but the way book ties in all the various mythologies in a modern day story is just fascinating.

It's like Pizza or Burger? kinda choice. Just can't choose one!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13430 on: April 10, 2020, 09:13:16 PM »
It's like Pizza or Burger? kinda choice. Just can't choose one!

Burger! Every time :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: April 10, 2020, 11:20:28 PM »
Silver in the Woods by Emily Tesh. Highly recommended.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: April 11, 2020, 12:03:02 AM »
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker
The Real Powers That Be

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13433 on: April 11, 2020, 01:04:43 AM »
Come talk with me about it in the Parker thread when you're done :D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: April 11, 2020, 09:28:53 AM »
Come talk with me about it in the Parker thread when you're done :D

The last 15 posts in that topic have been between two people  ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13435 on: April 11, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »
I finished Fortune's Fool by Angela Boord yesterday. It's another SPFBO finalist, and another strong one. The setting is very Italianesque, with powerful feuding families and seemingly independent cities. Firearms are just beginning to be introduced. Magic is wild and dark, and a sign that you have attracted the unwelcome attention of the gods. The story is split between two timelines following the fallen daughter of a once-powerful family. The present0day stuff was in present tense, and the past in past tense, which was a nice touch, but did mean I found the past easier to read. Overall, it was very enjoyable, if kind of dark. If I had any major criticism, it would just be that 700 pages is a bit on the long side.

I think I'd still place it slightly below Sword of Kaigen, in second place of the four finalists I've read so far.

Moved on to Life in the North (System Apocalypse #1) by Tao Wong. This is a LitRPG I borrowed from Prime Reading. It's not especially well-written, but I'm getting some mild entertainment from it. It's just meant to be a snack between other books. (And I wanted to free up a Prime Reading slot in case something else came up.)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13436 on: April 11, 2020, 11:13:52 PM »
Started Eli's new novella. Halfway through it.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13437 on: April 12, 2020, 02:03:55 AM »

I run across this too many times now to ignore. Starting tonight.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: April 12, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
I am trying to improve my knowledge of recent children's booke so just started The Train to Impossible Places by PG Bell.
The Real Powers That Be

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13439 on: April 12, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »
read something completely different, Sanderson's Skyward. It seems to be SF, so not sure if I'll like it, but since I got it from 50p it's no harm done if I don't, hehe

Wow, talk about right books at the right times! It seems that nowadays I'm just moving along to different beats, like we mentioned in the other thread, and this book was great!
Sometimes you just want a normal simple story - this one, think Top Gun with 17-year olds, main character female, and the problems people had with Vin in Mistborn were not repeated here!

I know I'm not converting any anti-Sanderson people ;D but for everyone else, definitely give this a try!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!