May 27, 2020, 11:24:59 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1986592 times)

Offline Christopher C. Fuchs

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13395 on: April 01, 2020, 01:30:45 AM »
Just finished The Relic Hunter by Christopher Buckley. It was a good, light, laugh-out-loud medieval adventure.

5-Stars: Romping good fun with adventure, history and humor. Christopher Buckley draws you into a convincing medieval tale based on real figures from history.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3232555668

Currently reading an excellent biography of Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34752954-leonardo-da-vinci
Epic fantasy/adventure debut praised as "A top 5 novel of the year" by Liviu Suciul, former co-editor of Fantasy Book Critic (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3016003847).

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: April 01, 2020, 07:44:53 AM »
I finished Powder Mage #1. It was 7/10.

Is it getting better in the later books? I also have The Dagger and The Coin. Mark Lawrence's Limited Wish is also another option.

I don’t get all the hype with Powder Mage , I marked  it 1/5 it was a DNF for me. felt too much like a Sanderson book to me.

You very very generous giving the book 7/10 if you didn’t enjoy it that much.

I Also gave The dagger and coin 1/5 too I would give it a miss😀

I gave up on Mark Lawrence novels

Glad to be of help 😀😃😀😀

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13397 on: April 01, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »

Is it getting better in the later books? I also have The Dagger and The Coin. Mark Lawrence's Limited Wish is also another option.

I'd say things got quite better in the second and third books, isos. As I remembered it some of the characters/ events laid out in the first book started to make more sense, and the action scenes became even better. So hang in there.  ;)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13398 on: April 01, 2020, 09:18:01 AM »

I don’t get all the hype with Powder Mage , I marked  it 1/5 it was a DNF for me. felt too much like a Sanderson book to me.

Glad to be of help 😀😃😀😀

Best help ever :)

So, what do you suggest?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13399 on: April 01, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
So, what do you suggest?
Don't pay attention to him ;D

If you want something different, read Mark's Limited wish, if you'd like something more traditionally fantasy, read Daniel's Dagger and the coin: I liked both a lot, for different reasons!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: April 01, 2020, 09:35:45 AM »

Glad to be of help 😀😃😀😀

Best help ever :)

So, what do you suggest?

Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding

The Traitors son cycle by Cameron Miles

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron

Black company by Glen Cook

The Prince of Cats by @Quill
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:42:10 AM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline isos81

« Reply #13401 on: April 01, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
Thanks Eclipse and Bea. Inky also loved Limited Wish so I might give that a chance. But I think I'll continue Powder Mage first. It was not bad at all but also was not that good. It deserves another chance :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: April 01, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
Turning Darkness Into Light, the follow-up to the Lady Trent books. I'm enjoying it so far, particularly the side-by-side translations, but you can really feel the absence of Todd Lockwood's illustrations.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #13403 on: April 02, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
The Girl with Ghost Eyes - M.H. Boroson

Overall: +5

Was a OK read. The setting and premise was interesting, but there was something missing that really didn't make this a engrossing read.

And the Kindle cover was so meh. The featured lady looks so unenthusiastic and frankly bored.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +5

The author looked to be on a mission to fit in as many chinese mythological terms/creature names as he could into this novel. He's worked this even into random conversations just for its sake. Writing was stark and felt a bit repetitive. Words like "peachwood sword" and "carved/cut my skin" feature so many times, that they were just redundant and not really add any emotive content. Writing was also stark and lacked a flair for the dramatic.

Characters: +4

This was my major gripe. For a woman who knows kung-fu, has magical abilities, the protagonist randomly would rush blindly into so many random situations always making a idiotic decisions which lack even basic common sense. The righteousness pales into insignificance in face of the stupid decisions she makes. It's like she's fated to win despite she doing everything she can to make her job impossible.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: April 02, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »
I'm doing something I hadn't thought I would ever do, which is reading a 450k fan fiction piece which starts where Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series ended.

I'm nearly finished and it's interesting how easy it is to see that the writing never saw an editor. I'm not talking typos but all the magic an editor can do to plot, scenes and coherence, etc. It's similar enough in voice, spirit and ideas to something Pierce could've written with some things (slightly) over the top, to improbable or to krass. And it's a bit heavy on the tell-side. Besides that, it's an amazing story still enjoyable to read or else I wouldn't have gotten so far. :) 
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13405 on: April 03, 2020, 03:28:16 AM »
I've finally started reading Elizabeth Moon'sThe deed of Paksenarrion (omnibus of the trilogy) that @Peat gave me some years ago when we first met!
It's much bigger (1000+ pages) than I remembered when I decided to go ahead, but it's reading much quicker than Malazans hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: April 03, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »

Was a OK read. The setting and premise was interesting, but there was something missing that really didn't make this a engrossing read.

And the Kindle cover was so meh. The featured lady looks so unenthusiastic and frankly bored.

The author looked to be on a mission to fit in as many chinese mythological terms/creature names as he could into this novel. He's worked this even into random conversations just for its sake. Writing was stark and felt a bit repetitive. Words like "peachwood sword" and "carved/cut my skin" feature so many times, that they were just redundant and not really add any emotive content. Writing was also stark and lacked a flair for the dramatic.

This was my major gripe. For a woman who knows kung-fu, has magical abilities, the protagonist randomly would rush blindly into so many random situations always making a idiotic decisions which lack even basic common sense. The righteousness pales into insignificance in face of the stupid decisions she makes. It's like she's fated to win despite she doing everything she can to make her job impossible.

@Bender

Finished this one I thought it started off really well especially when the hero was trapped in the spirit world but when she came back I felt it was all very predictable you need some twists to keep me interested.

The battle at the end was so disappointing she was a level two magic user and then all of sudden she was a level four magic user because her dad chanted a few words there was no struggle to get there and then she used her new power to overcome the villain. Would have preferred it if she had stayed as level two magic user and used her wits to overcome the villain.

Also the gambling scene seemed idiotic

I feel this novel had potential that was wasted.

My kindle said the author used  the word peachwood 64 times in the novel  nearly as bad as Erikson using the word Ochre
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:04:13 AM by Eclipse »

Offline isos81

« Reply #13407 on: April 03, 2020, 11:34:59 AM »
Finished Powder Mage #2.

I have to admit, even though I gave 7/10 to the first book, it was 6/10 at most. This book was much better. It was even around 8 until the last 20%. This could have been a massive 9/10 if things were a little bit different.

Long story short, better than the 1st book. I'm giving 7/10 and starting the 3rd book.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13408 on: April 03, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »

@Bender

Finished this one I thought it started off really well especially when the hero was trapped in the spirit world but when she came back I felt it was all very predictable you need some twists to keep me interested.

The battle at the end was so disappointing she was a level two magic user and then all of sudden she was a level four magic user because her dad chanted a few words there was no struggle to get there and then she used her new power to overcome the villain. Would have preferred it if she had stayed as level two magic user and used her wits to overcome the villain.

Also the gambling scene seemed idiotic

I feel this novel had potential that was wasted.

My kindle said the author used  the word peachwood 64 times in the novel  nearly as bad as Erikson using the word Ochre

@Eclipse I have to agree. Not sure if this is author's first book.

Initially, she made a huge fuzz about the parade of devils and how scary it was, but then nothing happened. The founder of the order had huge problems killing the bone creature at end, but she managed it quite easily. Deus Ex Machina climax always gets me in bad mood. Agree that gambling section was just awful. She made a deal with the birds and all they do is carry her around couple of times.

The loveable eyeball is the best character of the book.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Peat

« Reply #13409 on: April 04, 2020, 12:17:41 AM »
Re-read Moving Pictures to try and break my reading slump.

Narrator - it did not break the slump.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/