April 08, 2020, 07:30:15 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1933672 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13305 on: February 22, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
Death's Merchant (Common Among Gods #1) by Justan Henner read it!

:thumbs_up:  :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13306 on: February 22, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
I've started re-reading Ship of Magic Robin Hobb.

In spite of having hundreds of unread books (I have a problem), nothing was taking my fancy.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13307 on: February 22, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »
I've started re-reading Ship of Magic Robin Hobb.

In spite of having hundreds of unread books (I have a problem), nothing was taking my fancy.

Sometimes re-reading avoids disappointment. I can be good to know you will wenjoy the read. Presumably lack of bookcases is the problem as unread books nearly always the solution.

260 pages in on False Value and it is as good as expected.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13308 on: February 22, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
...Presumably lack of bookcases is the problem ...
I know that's usually the counter for too many books, but it's too many unread books, and notoriously unable to make a decision when faced with too much choice. I have about 100 on kindle, and there's easily the same again, if not more amongst this lot.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/re-miscellaneous-musings-about-books/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13309 on: February 22, 2020, 08:42:29 PM »
A large TBR pile just ensures you always have something to read. Bibliomania is only an issue if you don't have the space.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: February 24, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Finished the Winter of the Witch, which is a great culmination of the trilogy and the best of the three books.
If you liked the Bear and the Nightingale, it gets only better and better from there on.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13311 on: February 24, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
Finished the Winter of the Witch, which is a great culmination of the trilogy and the best of the three books.
If you liked the Bear and the Nightingale, it gets only better and better from there on.

Maybe I can continue reading the rest of the series based on your comments Xiagan. The first book was a light and fun read and sometimes I need light reads :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13312 on: February 24, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Starting The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1),
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: February 24, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

So far no one has performed a magic trick  :-[
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13314 on: February 24, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
Finished False Value. I loved it but I am a big fan of the series. finished the second powder mage book nowhere near as good as the fist but I have started the 3rd book and started Wireless Short stories by Charlie Stross.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. So far no one has performed a magic trick  :-[

Hmmm bought The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep on Saturday by H.G. Parry coincidences abound.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13315 on: February 25, 2020, 07:53:06 PM »
First book of the year: Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock. 4/5.

Very good sword and sorcery, read it in one go in one day. But a lot the things hyped about it I didn't actually see much of them. I read whole essays about the "anti-Conan" thing and the subversions, but they weren't as proeminent as I was led to believe.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Bender

« Reply #13316 on: February 26, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
Starting The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1),

Just didn't have the feel that it's right time to start this. Some intangible stuff moved me away from this for now.

Finished Diamantine by Andrew Rowe.

Starting Grey Bastards by Jonathan French now.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: February 26, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
Started Gaiman's Norse Mythology. I got it when it came out and finally started it.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #13318 on: February 28, 2020, 08:02:11 PM »
Grey Bastards by Jonathan French

Overall: +9
Loved it. A refreshing read, which is wildly gripping and totally different from any other book I've read. A roller coaster adventures both geographically and plot-wise keeps moving to keep you stuck to the book.

Freshness: +10
The Lot Lands is a gritty hard place stuck between a semi-hostile kingdom on one side and wild orc hordes on other. A wild west meets sons of anarchy set in fantasyland! Both the setting and the characters plus they way book is written clearly sets itself on a level outside of most other fantasy book out there.

Prose: +10
An unapologetically disgusting and dirty prose that shreds modern political correctness and sensibility expectation on it's way to a wildly entertaining romp. A cascade of vulgarity and lewdness seeps through every page of the book topped with base jokes, that actually make you laugh rather than cringe, which is not an easy balance to achieve! Despite that the book has a nice flow to it and it drags you right in to experience the life on a hog in lotlands right with the characters.

Plot: +8
What starts off as a personal duel rapidly escalates into a far bigger conflict which the author keeps you from guessing till the end. The way the lead character plods through the events trying to find this way, but finding his beliefs yanked repeatedly makes this a obsessive page turner. I have dropped some points on this because of a minor gripe...the books focuses on the protagonist but fails to provide a view of other parties that will be impacted but are not properly covered.

Explicit content:
Los of vulgar speech and base humour. Some explicit but very brief sexual content. Overall good for 18+ audience.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13319 on: February 29, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
Grey Bastards by Jonathan French

Overall: +9
Loved it. A refreshing read, which is wildly gripping and totally different from any other book I've read. A roller coaster adventures both geographically and plot-wise keeps moving to keep you stuck to the book.

Freshness: +10
The Lot Lands is a gritty hard place stuck between a semi-hostile kingdom on one side and wild orc hordes on other. A wild west meets sons of anarchy set in fantasyland! Both the setting and the characters plus they way book is written clearly sets itself on a level outside of most other fantasy book out there.

Prose: +10
An unapologetically disgusting and dirty prose that shreds modern political correctness and sensibility expectation on it's way to a wildly entertaining romp. A cascade of vulgarity and lewdness seeps through every page of the book topped with base jokes, that actually make you laugh rather than cringe, which is not an easy balance to achieve! Despite that the book has a nice flow to it and it drags you right in to experience the life on a hog in lotlands right with the characters.

Plot: +8
What starts off as a personal duel rapidly escalates into a far bigger conflict which the author keeps you from guessing till the end. The way the lead character plods through the events trying to find this way, but finding his beliefs yanked repeatedly makes this a obsessive page turner. I have dropped some points on this because of a minor gripe...the books focuses on the protagonist but fails to provide a view of other parties that will be impacted but are not properly covered.

Explicit content:
Los of vulgar speech and base humour. Some explicit but very brief sexual content. Overall good for 18+ audience.
I largely agree with this review, Bender. It was one of my best reads for the year when I read it, and the fact that I picked it up on the off chance made it even better. It does help that I really enjoyed Sons of Anarchy.