July 15, 2020, 11:58:33 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2028739 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13245 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
I finished Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant. ... Published in 1970, it won the Mythopoeic Award in 1973 (which I don't really understand, but I imagine the eligibility rules were weird.)
Clarification: It was 1972, which is a little more understandable. Beating Le Guin's Tombs of Atuan, one of Moorcock's Corum books, and Grendel, among others.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: January 27, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »
Slogging through War of Honor.  This series was going so strong, but then books in its suffering from Whhel of Time syndrome.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13247 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:21 AM »
Finished Dispel Illusion a competent wrapping up of the trilogy. Finished Blackguards anthology a couple of good stories but mostly lacklustre.

Started Queen of Crows and Powder Mage Trilogy.

Online Peat

« Reply #13248 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
I finished Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant. ... Published in 1970, it won the Mythopoeic Award in 1973 (which I don't really understand, but I imagine the eligibility rules were weird.)
Clarification: It was 1972, which is a little more understandable. Beating Le Guin's Tombs of Atuan, one of Moorcock's Corum books, and Grendel, among others.

I've only ever read her High Kings of Britain, always had it half-heartedly on my list. Might add it fully.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #13249 on: January 29, 2020, 06:33:52 AM »
Can't read anything since the middle of the month. Netflix kills my reading process. I'll uninstall it as soon as finish The Punisher. I need to return to my readings :(
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13250 on: January 30, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
Finished Six-Gun Tarot by RS Belcher

Lovely read. Can best be described as weird fantasy as it has everything from gods and angels to mormons, chinese and mad scientists all set in Cowboy western town. Never read a book with such a mix before and oh boy, it was fascinating!

Not a big book and it takes time to set up the plot. But the world is fascinating so you don't mind taking the time to get the town and characters placed. Then as plot thickens and pace picks up you get a roller coaster ride to the finale.

Characters stay in your mind, and town is remarkable. Writing style is straining and to the point paining a stak picture of the town and it's residents. The timeline switches between events isn't really clearly but you can easily deduce that on your own.

My only grips is that I would have preferred for the plot to get more complex and a bit let down since everything just falls nicely into place at the end. A bit more machinations would have been superb.

Overall lovely book! Recommended.

Off to read book 2 now.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13251 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
I'm now on Reaper's gale, Steven Erikson - book 7 of the Malazan.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: February 01, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
Moving through my backlog of classic SF, still. between this and David Weber, I haven't been reading much fantasy lately. I'm hoping to star either Dale Lucas' Friendly fire or Alan Campbell's Art of Hunting by the end of the weekend.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: February 03, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
Halfway through the Girl in the Tower, the follow up book of The Bear and the Nightingale. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #13254 on: February 03, 2020, 01:09:45 PM »
Halfway through the Girl in the Tower, the follow up book of The Bear and the Nightingale. :)

Is it worth reading? I currently have no plans to continue the series.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: February 03, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »

I really liked it , but I know it’s not your thing time for you try different stories.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Cherie

« Reply #13256 on: February 03, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »
I started The Binding by Bridget Collins last night.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: February 03, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »

Huh?
I liked it overall, 4/5. I'll probably read the rest later in the year.
;)
There's more action and it's more dynamic. So if that were some points that annoyed you in the first book, the second may be more down your road.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13258 on: February 04, 2020, 04:20:50 AM »
At last this journey have come to an end, I've finished The Dark Tower, the last book in the Dark Tower series. 4 to 4.5 stars (Probably 4.1 or 4.2) I have to say...

Spoiler for Hiden:
that I totally enjoyed both of the endings, whether the one where Roland just entered the Dark Tower without any more information provided or the one where he resumes the trek to the tower once more as pertains to the wheel of ka going round and round. My favorite, however, have to be Susannah's meeting with Eddie and Jake as brothers in the new alt. world. I hope they had a great and happy time together. (Along with the future alternate Oy as well). The book was outlandish at times with Stephen King's involvement in with the series, but overall it was quite a satisfying ride and conclusion to this series I've invested so much time in.

This is probably the longest series I've read besides Harry Potter, and I have to say that my time invested into this series is pretty worth it. It was a great and wonderful ride on this crazy spinning of the wheel of ka and be glad and say thankya.

I'm starting Red Sister by Mark Lawrence after much trepidation. I think it's really quite accurate when they say Mark's prose in this book is unlike that of his other novels. I'm just a few pages in and was wondering, "Why are the prose so purple?" I hope the book picks up enough down the road for me to ignore the prose style, otherwise it's a good thing I only ever bought the first book.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13259 on: February 04, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
I'm starting Red Sister by Mark Lawrence after much trepidation. I think it's really quite accurate when they say Mark's prose in this book is unlike that of his other novels. I'm just a few pages in and was wondering, "Why are the prose so purple?" I hope the book picks up enough down the road for me to ignore the prose style, otherwise it's a good thing I only ever bought the first book.
Inky, my first reaction to that book was similar, as the book is quite different from the themes of the others. I read book 1 and wasn't in a rush to read the others. However a year and a bit later I decided to get them and re-read Red sister, it was way better, now that I wasn't coming with expectations: and the other 2 books expand that feeling and make for a great adventure series.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!