February 24, 2020, 06:40:17 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1905061 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13230 on: January 21, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »
I'm catching up with last year's purchases. Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan. About a third of the way through and an absolute blast. I'm going to miss the Powder Mage setting when this is finished.

I'm currently trying to finish off a few different series before starting something new. But we all know how this is going to end.  ::) >:(
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13231 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:06 AM »
I'm catching up with last year's purchases. Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan. About a third of the way through and an absolute blast. I'm going to miss the Powder Mage setting when this is finished.
Alex, knowing what I like (I think, hehe), do you think I'd enjoy this series? I've heard a lot about it, but not sure if it's "too militar" for my tastes (even though I read enjoyed Abercrombie's Heroes and all Malazan).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: January 21, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Alex, knowing what I like (I think, hehe), do you think I'd enjoy this series? I've heard a lot about it, but not sure if it's "too militar" for my tastes (even though I read enjoyed Abercrombie's Heroes and all Malazan).

There is a fair bit of the military in it. Probably split equally between military, magic, and spies. I can't remember if you like Sanderson, but it's like a more realistic version of his work. Or like Lightbriner without the pointless twists.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13233 on: January 21, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »

There is a fair bit of the military in it. Probably split equally between military, magic, and spies. I can't remember if you like Sanderson, but it's like a more realistic version of his work. Or like Lightbriner without the pointless twists.
Oh then it might be ok! Another one for my list, thanks

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13234 on: January 22, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »
The two Powder Mage trilogies by Brian McClellan are golden, and the second three books are even better than the first.

I'm currently reading book 4 of the Rivers of London series since the ebooks were on sale a while back.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13235 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:32 PM »
Reading Dispell Illusion proceeding as expected so far.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #13236 on: January 24, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
Trying to read more this year because I think having almost no time for fiction in my life for the last 3 years has been driving me slowly insane. Missed it more than anything.

I reread all of His Dark Materials before the show came out (which I thought was really good!) and over Christmas I read the two novellas and finally got around to La Belle Sauvage. Wow that's a phenomenal read. I think I devoured it in two sessions. I'm saving The Secret Commonwealth for later but I'm curious as hell about it.

Going back into the Cosmere right now and reading The Well of Ascension, which I struggled with before but I'm determined to see it through. I generally like Sanderson quite a bit - I enjoyed the first two Stormlight books (not read Oathbringer) and think he did a great job with WoT. But I find all of his stuff pre-WoT very rough. I remember Warbreaker being pretty woeful. Mistborn is very hokey and I still find it surprising that people rate it so highly tbh. But I'm looking forward to getting round to the later trilogy as I've heard generally good things.
Make Another World.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13237 on: January 24, 2020, 01:51:25 PM »
(can I just say - yay @Idlewilder :D
Have you graduated, then? I can't believe it's been 3 years already... Many congrats!!!)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #13238 on: January 24, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »
Have you graduated, then? I can't believe it's been 3 years already... Many congrats!!!)

Ha, no I'm afraid not. I still have a year left but the way it's going I don't expect to finish on time anyway.
Make Another World.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13239 on: January 24, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »

Ha, no I'm afraid not. I still have a year left but the way it's going I don't expect to finish on time anyway.
Aww good luck anyway :)

Offline Peat

« Reply #13240 on: January 24, 2020, 10:25:19 PM »
Getting hooked on Seth Dickinson's The Traitor and it is, in full flow, phenomenal. The only flaw is it is so rich with detail and quick flowing plot that I struggle to read it as quickly as I'd like and get frustrated.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bender

« Reply #13241 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:01 AM »
@CameronJohnston what are you writing next?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13242 on: January 27, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »
@CameronJohnston what are you writing next?

It's finished, with my agent for a last read, and will be going out on submission to publishers soon, so we'll see if one of them picks it up. Fun times! *sweats*
It's a dark fantasy standalone/possible shared-world series where the villains and monsters are the heroes.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13243 on: January 27, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »
I finished Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant. It was probably good, but I wasn't in a very receptive mood at the end of an illness, and struggled a bit with it. It's a portal fantasy in which three children get taken into a fantasy world and get involved in the battle against an evil wizard. Published in 1970, it won the Mythopoeic Award in 1973 (which I don't really understand, but I imagine the eligibility rules were weird.) I understand there are two sequels, although it didn't feel incomplete. It had a nice bit after the victory, where the oldest of the siblings struggled with what he had done.

A quick Agatha Christie next, then I think probably Embers of War by Gareth L Powell, last year's BSFA winner.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13244 on: January 27, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »
I finished The Shadow King by Alec Hutson. I highly recommend the entire trilogy (starting with The Crimson Queen). It reminded me a bit of The Wheel of Time, but it was a lot easier to get through.