April 09, 2020, 11:30:22 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1934483 times)

Online NedMarcus

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13170 on: January 05, 2020, 03:49:25 AM »
Working my way through the Dune series. Reading God Emperor of Dune at the moment.

Offline Yora

« Reply #13171 on: January 05, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
I have it planned as one of my next books. But I did have that planned for the last 10 year or so.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13172 on: January 05, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
Working my way through the Dune series. Reading God Emperor of Dune at the moment.

Ive never read beyond the first book. Some fear of spoiling a near-perfect bitter thing.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #13173 on: January 05, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
Well, yes. As I understand it, the first book is the setup for the tragedy to come.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online NedMarcus

« Reply #13174 on: January 05, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »

Ive never read beyond the first book. Some fear of spoiling a near-perfect bitter thing.

But it gets really exciting!

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: January 05, 2020, 03:58:50 PM »
I finished Amberlough yesterday. I wasn't really expecting to finish it so soon - I had found it quite slow going, and think it was probably a bad choice to follow Swordspoint - bug I had to wait in for someone yesterday and read a lot of it while waiting. It really pocked up for me once things started to kick off, maybe about half way through, and I ended up wanting to know how things will work out, although the subject matter is quite depressing in the current political climate.

I've started a self-pub military SF: Aurora CV-01 by Ryk Brown which is quite good fun so far. It's not the best-written thing I've ever read, but it's right up my street guilty-pleasure-wise. The omnibus of the first three books was free on kindle recently - that's why I picked it up - I don't know if it still is.
Feeling like that, you may want to give reading Farthing some time. It’s similar in tone to Amberlough.
I know a bit more about Farthing, so I'm prepared for it there, but I expect I'll leave a bit of space anyway.

I finished Aurora CV-01 last night. It was quite solid, with a bit of suspension-of-disbelief, and there are a million more in the series, so that might be a well I keep going back to.

I've moved on to SPFBO front-runner The Sword of Kaigen by M L Wang.

Is Farthing connected to seminal 90s animal fantasy series: The Animals of Farthing Wood.  It was bloodier than Game of Thrones.  All those people in tears over the Red Wedding, never experienced the horror of Mr and Mrs Hedgehog crossing the motorway.

I am reading The Anarchy by William Dalrymple.  And will get back on Blood of Elves now I am back at work and walking again.
The Real Powers That Be

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »

I spent a large part of 2017/18 making my way through the Dune universe. God Emperor and heretics didn't stand up as well for me, but Chapterhouse makes it worth it.

Are you planning to read the Anderson/Herbert prequels, sequels, etc.? They're very different, but I prefer them to Frank Herbert's original.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13177 on: January 05, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »
I finished Soulsmith by Will Wight. I liked this book, but I didn't quite love it. So far, I prefer the Traveler's Gate trilogy by Wight, though this is still a fun read with potential to get better and better.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13178 on: January 05, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
I finished Amberlough yesterday. I wasn't really expecting to finish it so soon - I had found it quite slow going, and think it was probably a bad choice to follow Swordspoint - bug I had to wait in for someone yesterday and read a lot of it while waiting. It really pocked up for me once things started to kick off, maybe about half way through, and I ended up wanting to know how things will work out, although the subject matter is quite depressing in the current political climate.

I've started a self-pub military SF: Aurora CV-01 by Ryk Brown which is quite good fun so far. It's not the best-written thing I've ever read, but it's right up my street guilty-pleasure-wise. The omnibus of the first three books was free on kindle recently - that's why I picked it up - I don't know if it still is.
Feeling like that, you may want to give reading Farthing some time. It’s similar in tone to Amberlough.
I know a bit more about Farthing, so I'm prepared for it there, but I expect I'll leave a bit of space anyway.

I finished Aurora CV-01 last night. It was quite solid, with a bit of suspension-of-disbelief, and there are a million more in the series, so that might be a well I keep going back to.

I've moved on to SPFBO front-runner The Sword of Kaigen by M L Wang.

Is Farthing connected to seminal 90s animal fantasy series: The Animals of Farthing Wood.  It was bloodier than Game of Thrones.  All those people in tears over the Red Wedding, never experienced the horror of Mr and Mrs Hedgehog crossing the motorway.
No, it's an alt history set in the 40s after Britain made peace with Nazi Germany. No talking animals, as far as I'm aware.

I am really loving Sword of Kaigen, by the way. I think I'm about half way. It's doing some interesting and unusual things so far.

Online NedMarcus

« Reply #13179 on: January 06, 2020, 04:18:09 AM »

I spent a large part of 2017/18 making my way through the Dune universe. God Emperor and heretics didn't stand up as well for me, but Chapterhouse makes it worth it.

Are you planning to read the Anderson/Herbert prequels, sequels, etc.? They're very different, but I prefer them to Frank Herbert's original.

Yes, I'm finding God Emperor a bit slower than the first three—good to know Chapterhouse Dune picks up. I'd not heard of the Anderson/Herbert prequels/sequels. Thanks for that. I'll take a look when I've finished the main series.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13180 on: January 06, 2020, 04:55:14 AM »
I've just finished God of Broken Things by Cameron Johnston, and oh wow God!  I hadn't been expecting it but this book was even, and much better than the first book, and a definite 5/5 stars read. When Edrin was sent to the mountainous Clanshold, I was expecting the typical fantasy story of some long, drawn out siege. However, I was extremely and pleasantly surprised when it became a trek of adventure and magic and survival in the wilderness as much as the magus's battle against the Skallgrim monstrosities. I just love how vast and applicable Edrin's mind manipulation magic is, and that probably came from Cameron's even more fearsomely imaginative mind. To not spoil this for anyone, but I absolutely loved loved that ending.

Oh boy, I regret this series being a duology, though. I'll definitely be missing our one and only roguish tyrant magus, the Edrin Walker. I've just added this book to my favorite shelf on Goodreads as well, a really and truly splendid job on this, Cameron!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm so glad he got such a satisfying and peaceful ending in the end, and living there with Eva too! The couple is definitely one of my top favorite fantasy couples for sure.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13181 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »
I absolutely loved loved that ending.
This, totally!!
And your spoiler.
I also agree that this one was even better than book 1 :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: January 07, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Reading the Bear and the Nightingale. Intriguing and cool. Reminds me of Uprooted.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13183 on: January 07, 2020, 12:05:00 PM »
Reading the Bear and the Nightingale. Intriguing and cool. Reminds me of Uprooted.
That was my feeling when I read the blurb too, and the reason why I'm not reading it (I found Uprooted a bit 'meh')
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #13184 on: January 07, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »
I'm reading a little sci-fi - Sea Of Rust by C. Robert Cargill. It's flummin' excellent.
Find me on twitter @jd_books