September 25, 2020, 01:14:19 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072275 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13155 on: December 31, 2019, 12:02:00 AM »
I am currently reading We Are The Storm by Devin Madson. Really well written and an intriguing cast of characters drawing me in.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13156 on: December 31, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
I finished Lawrence's Dispel illusion last night, so now, finally, I'll be back on Malazan!

On to book 6, The bonehunters :D
I've now realised that this one continues from House of chains (book 4) and not Midnight tides (book 5), so I'm reading the summary on the Malazan wiki to remind me what happened. I'll also read my own comments from the readalong threads!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #13157 on: December 31, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
I finished Lawrence's Dispel illusion last night, so now, finally, I'll be back on Malazan!

I've now realised that this one continues from House of chains (book 4) and not Midnight tides (book 5), so I'm reading the summary on the Malazan wiki to remind me what happened. I'll also read my own comments from the readalong threads!

Are you reading the novellas too? Not sure if Night of Knives comes before Bonehunters. Anyway BH is one of my favourite books in the series. NoK too.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13158 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
No, not at the moment. Just the Book of the Fallen, in publication order.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13159 on: December 31, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
I finished Amberlough yesterday. I wasn't really expecting to finish it so soon - I had found it quite slow going, and think it was probably a bad choice to follow Swordspoint - bug I had to wait in for someone yesterday and read a lot of it while waiting. It really pocked up for me once things started to kick off, maybe about half way through, and I ended up wanting to know how things will work out, although the subject matter is quite depressing in the current political climate.

I've started a self-pub military SF: Aurora CV-01 by Ryk Brown which is quite good fun so far. It's not the best-written thing I've ever read, but it's right up my street guilty-pleasure-wise. The omnibus of the first three books was free on kindle recently - that's why I picked it up - I don't know if it still is.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13160 on: December 31, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
I'm reading the summary on the Malazan wiki to remind me what happened.
My head hurts! Even reading it I can't really remember much, will I be able to still enjoy the other books? :'( :'(
Actually the wiki stops the book description halfway through book 3 ::) I guess I'll jump into the deep end and swim, even if not understanding much at first...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:57:36 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline isos81

« Reply #13161 on: December 31, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »

I so very much envy you :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13162 on: December 31, 2019, 08:42:00 PM »
Finished Six of Crows yesterday. 3/5

Fun and quick, with some interesting events.

But I'm gonna agree 100% with @cupiscent , the characters' ages do stretch credulity way too much, unless you don't think about it, which I couldn't really do.

For example, Nina. She's a 16 year old who works in a brothel, though her job is magic that she uses to relax people. She even completely comforts (with talking) men and women who lost partners of 20+ year old relationships. When asked about her job she offers wisdow of someone who seen it all...
Then you proceed in the story and also discovers she's military with years of training, fought in a war and is an idealistic patriot or something.
Between the military and the brothel, she was captured and enslaved in a ship, which wrecked, survived with one of its crew members and proceeded to the city of the protagonist. So it was months of traveling, months of trying to get her guy out of jail and more time until she caught the eye of the MC and became his spy and more time until we reach the time the story starts.

So basically for everything to fit, she would have volunteered to the army at around age 10, received training for a few years, fought in a major war around 12-13, was captured around 14, stayed in the city of the protagonist until meeting him at 15 and then the story starts when she's 16.

A similar vein for all the other character's backstories. Kaz is a master criminal at 16, and started around 12-13 to bring down hardened experienced criminals and Inej is a master assassin at 16 who like Nina was also captured and enslaved, but did work at a brothel as a prostitute, and just like Nina, to make the time fit she would have done so around ages 13 to 14 at least until she was recruited by Kaz and trained from the info in the book. Two of the other three members of the crew are also 16 year olds masters of something - the other is 19.

I wouldn't doubt the ages were different and the publisher requested them all to be changed to 16 just to classify it as YA.

Despite even ignoring all these, the path of the story was unfortunately pretty predictable too.
Spoiler for Hiden:
No one died at the heist (though Nina's condition was a surprise), every pair was pretty much in love with each other, and obviously everyone knew the merchant wouldn't hold the deal.

But again, despite all this, it was still enjoyable enough to get at least a 3* and some loose ends and circumsntances were good enough to make me check how this ends in the next book (it's a duology).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13163 on: December 31, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
Started Smoke & Stone By Micheal R Fletcher. It starts well.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13164 on: December 31, 2019, 11:32:52 PM »
I finished Amberlough yesterday. I wasn't really expecting to finish it so soon - I had found it quite slow going, and think it was probably a bad choice to follow Swordspoint - bug I had to wait in for someone yesterday and read a lot of it while waiting. It really pocked up for me once things started to kick off, maybe about half way through, and I ended up wanting to know how things will work out, although the subject matter is quite depressing in the current political climate.

I've started a self-pub military SF: Aurora CV-01 by Ryk Brown which is quite good fun so far. It's not the best-written thing I've ever read, but it's right up my street guilty-pleasure-wise. The omnibus of the first three books was free on kindle recently - that's why I picked it up - I don't know if it still is.
Feeling like that, you may want to give reading Farthing some time. It’s similar in tone to Amberlough.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13165 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »

Feeling like that, you may want to give reading Farthing some time. It’s similar in tone to Amberlough.
I know a bit more about Farthing, so I'm prepared for it there, but I expect I'll leave a bit of space anyway.

I finished Aurora CV-01 last night. It was quite solid, with a bit of suspension-of-disbelief, and there are a million more in the series, so that might be a well I keep going back to.

I've moved on to SPFBO front-runner The Sword of Kaigen by M L Wang.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13166 on: January 02, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
I've moved on to SPFBO front-runner The Sword of Kaigen by M L Wang.

Interested in reading your review on this....
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13167 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:30 PM »
Bea, you'll manage. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline abatch

« Reply #13168 on: January 02, 2020, 10:53:28 PM »
Warlord, by Keith McArdle

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13169 on: January 03, 2020, 02:14:15 AM »
I've been working on Soulsmith by Will Wight and Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe. Both are good books, and I'm hoping I can recover my desire to read so I can do them the justice they deserve.