February 27, 2020, 05:15:55 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1908514 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13125 on: December 25, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Finished Blood Mirror (Lightbringer #4). Starting Burning White (Lightbringer #5) today.

As for Blood Mirror:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I loved the book :) I don't understand why Bea did not like it but I love the plot twists where the good guy turns evil and vice versa. That always reminds me of the wonderful movie The Crash. Plus, Kip scenes were nicely developed. His self-loathing might feel tiresome but he is Kip the Lip :)

Other than that, Kip got better and better even though he can't realize the fact. Everybody around him started to adore him.

I always knew he was Andross' kid. That makes a better story so I was not surprised :)

I mostly disliked Teia scenes.

I disliked the romance and love triangle. The explanation after the book about vaginusmus was well thought, though.

I loved the fact that Andross loves Dazen just because Dazen resembles his mother.

I loved The Mighty and Ferkudi, to be specific. The bear jokes were so funny :)

Hopefully, lack of Ironfist will be repaired in the last book.

Scarletbea didn’t like it you say?   ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: December 25, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
Honestly, I'll just stop even hinting at books for you ::) ;D

It’s hilarious, we’ve always got City of Stairs  ;D
The exception that confirms the rule ;D
By the way, have you read the others?

Nope, do you recommend them to me haha, actually I know I’m going to love the next book.

I highly recommend you both read all three. You truly must, they do standalone, but the whole is way better than the parts.
Always thought this outstanding trilogy, so pleased to see you both enjoying it. Mulaghesh one of my favourite characters ever . Enjoy.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline isos81

« Reply #13127 on: December 25, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Finished Blood Mirror (Lightbringer #4). Starting Burning White (Lightbringer #5) today.

As for Blood Mirror:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I loved the book :) I don't understand why Bea did not like it but I love the plot twists where the good guy turns evil and vice versa. That always reminds me of the wonderful movie The Crash. Plus, Kip scenes were nicely developed. His self-loathing might feel tiresome but he is Kip the Lip :)

Other than that, Kip got better and better even though he can't realize the fact. Everybody around him started to adore him.

I always knew he was Andross' kid. That makes a better story so I was not surprised :)

I disliked the romance and love triangle. The explanation after the book about vaginusmus was well thought, though.

I loved the fact that Andross loves Dazen just because Dazen resembles his mother.

I remember she said that she disliked the book, claimed that the writer ruined everything he built in the first 3 books and was irritated by Kip scenes but I might be mistaken :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13128 on: December 25, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »

As for Blood Mirror:

Spoiler for Hiden:

I remember she said that she disliked the book, claimed that the writer ruined everything he built in the first 3 books and was irritated by Kip scenes but I might be mistaken :)
Not exactly that bad
Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically I think that he twist of having Dazen locked in the caves an imaginary person, when we'd had chapters from his point of view in the first couple of books didn't make sense. That's what made me mad. And I thought Kip was annoying hehe
But then you're going to love the last one :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: December 25, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »
:-X :-X

I'm 1/4 into book 3, again still trying to get used to the differences.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Did he really kill Shara so easily? I kept thinking it was a sham and she was still alive, but it seems that's not the case :(
RAFO (didn't post this in a while. :))

I got the Night and the Bearingale or something like this and will start it soon(ish).
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13130 on: December 26, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
:-X :-X

I'm 1/4 into book 3, again still trying to get used to the differences.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Did he really kill Shara so easily? I kept thinking it was a sham and she was still alive, but it seems that's not the case :(
RAFO (didn't post this in a while. :))
I had to google to see what that meant ;D
About halfway now, and I just read the scene of
Spoiler for Hiden:
the 'battle' on the aero-trams, talk about something that should be on film! Actually, I might have seen something similar in a James Bond movie hehe
I'm not that keen on Sigrud as a main character - book 2 is currently still my favourite.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: December 26, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
I'm not that keen on Sigrud as a main character - book 2 is currently still my favourite.

I can see book 3 being Isos81 favourite with Sigrud as the mc.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #13132 on: December 26, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
I've just started Dune Messiah.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13133 on: December 26, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
I've just started Dune Messiah.
I've done that a couple of times. Never finished it.

I finished Swordspoint a few days ago. It was fine, I guess. It didn't blow me away. Since then I've also read subpar Marple At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie, and am now undecided on what to start next. I think I've narrowed it down to one of Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly, Provenance by Ann Leckie or Farthing by Jo Walton. I'll see how I feel later when it's time to make my choice.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13134 on: December 26, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »
Back to fantasy....

Started Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell

Finished this.

Darker version of Three Musketeers with swashbuckling heroes, treachery and corrupt leaders all woven in a brilliant tale.

(+) Writing is good. Plot picks pace early on and thunders on never letting up till the end.

(-) Plot is quite standard and not many curve balls thrown in to keep you guessing apart from one reveal that I didn't see coming. The finale feels like deus ex machina and takes away a big deal from the plot.,

(-) The protagonist is a typical hero who will never forsake his ideals and there's no variation in other character follow usual fantasy characterizations. There's not much in way of character development

The mages/magic is kept to absolute minimum to be non-existent making this more of adventure novel than a fantasy one.

Still a fine read. 6/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13135 on: December 26, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »

Book 3 is my favourite and that climax is just perfect. Neatly ties up all the threads.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13136 on: December 26, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
Bender, I found the Greatcoats books kept getting better and better, with number 3 my favourite :)
And I think that the minus points you raised were slowly eliminated.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13137 on: December 26, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
Hmm, was about to start something else. But will give rest of books a try...after new year.

I'm done for this year.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13138 on: December 26, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

Hey, as soon as I read that Sigrus is MC, I thought I have to read these books ASAP :) And that was before I read your post ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline isos81

« Reply #13139 on: December 26, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »
Hmm, was about to start something else. But will give rest of books a try...after new year.

I'm done for this year.

Did you finish 52 books in 2019?