January 27, 2020, 06:02:47 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1877038 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13080 on: December 14, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
I started City of blades, book 2 in Robert Jackson Bennett's trilogy.

Fantastic sequel. The POV character felt much better (not that the previous was bad, but Mulagesh is better).

Are the books interconnected? The first book had some unfinished business :)

Yes, though there is some time span and the POVs in each book are different, though key characters reapear (and new ones also come to play).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Bender

« Reply #13081 on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:55 AM »

Fantastic sequel. The POV character felt much better (not that the previous was bad, but Mulagesh is better).

Yes, though there is some time span and the POVs in each book are different, though key characters reapear (and new ones also come to play).

I like these kind of movies. When you are trying to complete a world (all books in it) in a binge, you hit a threshold after which the world just stops being interesting, esp in middle of a book.

Divine Cities kind of trilogy avoid that and keeps all books fresh and interesting.

But boy, wait till climax of Book 3. It's all worth so much more there!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13082 on: December 15, 2019, 03:24:22 AM »
I've finished Retribution Falls (Ketty Jay #1) and it's a solid 4.5 stars read. What makes me love this story even more than the other team-esque tales are that each member in the group quite despised one another when the journey started, and wouldn't have strayed a meter near one another if they weren't running away from something or another. Only after 2/3rd of the book do the team started to get that feel of camaraderie for one another, and the development of feelings were really genuine and done superbly well. It's a good decision, all in all, that I've decided to buy this book and the other three books of the Ketty Jay quadrilogy. I can't wait to start the next book in the series and get back into this world.  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13083 on: December 15, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »

I like these kind of movies. When you are trying to complete a world (all books in it) in a binge, you hit a threshold after which the world just stops being interesting, esp in middle of a book.

Divine Cities kind of trilogy avoid that and keeps all books fresh and interesting.

But boy, wait till climax of Book 3. It's all worth so much more there!
Ok, it's being quite good, but I wanted more of Shara :(
I hope she returns later/in book 3...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #13084 on: December 16, 2019, 12:20:58 AM »
Finished Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron.

It's a omnibus edition of the first three books The Spirit Thief, The Sprit Rebellion, and The Spirit Eater.

Lovely fun read, just a roller coaster adventure... precisely the way I like it. Writing style is taut and author keeps the pace moving at breakneck speed all through. Brilliant world and magic system, which is refreshing and novel.

Couple of flaws:
- lack of character development. Most characters are defined at introduction and stick with the trope. There's no development or maturity to their roles.

- For an eponymous novel, the impact of Eli is surprisingly low. He's there in all, but apart from book 1, his impact to story is low and pretty much non-existent.

- Lack of introduction to macro plot. All books are self-contained and only hint at big picture, demons, shepherdesses etc etc but it doesn't get flushed and so doesn't add gravitas to the plot.

But still an overall brilliant series and I'm right off to read Revenge of Eli Monpress which is omnibus of final two books
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13085 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:52 AM »
I'm currently reading Darkdawn, the last book of the Nevernight trilogy by Jay Kristoff. It's off to a wonderful start as expected of this series, and I'm practically flipping through the pages, so eager am I to know how this epic tale will finally be concluded.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: December 16, 2019, 08:15:14 AM »
Finished Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron.

It's a omnibus edition of the first three books The Spirit Thief, The Sprit Rebellion, and The Spirit Eater.

Lovely fun read, just a roller coaster adventure... precisely the way I like it. Writing style is taut and author keeps the pace moving at breakneck speed all through. Brilliant world and magic system, which is refreshing and novel.

Couple of flaws:
- lack of character development. Most characters are defined at introduction and stick with the trope. There's no development or maturity to their roles.

- For an eponymous novel, the impact of Eli is surprisingly low. He's there in all, but apart from book 1, his impact to story is low and pretty much non-existent.

- Lack of introduction to macro plot. All books are self-contained and only hint at big picture, demons, shepherdesses etc etc but it doesn't get flushed and so doesn't add gravitas to the plot.

But still an overall brilliant series and I'm right off to read Revenge of Eli Monpress which is omnibus of final two books

Lots of fun those books.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13087 on: December 16, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »
- Lack of introduction to macro plot. All books are self-contained and only hint at big picture . . .
I understand how that could be a flaw for some readers, but it's not for me.  Many of my favorite series are comprised of self-contained stories.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Bender

« Reply #13088 on: December 16, 2019, 03:00:40 PM »
- Lack of introduction to macro plot. All books are self-contained and only hint at big picture . . .
I understand how that could be a flaw for some readers, but it's not for me.  Many of my favorite series are comprised of self-contained stories.

I don't mind self contained books, but have a bone to pick against authors who continuously hint at big picture but rarely build on it despite having read 3 or 5 books in the series.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: December 16, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
Finished Starsight. Not at all what i was expecting, but a brilliant book nonetheless. I'm not a big fan of alien alliances, but this is a really interesting universe.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #13090 on: December 17, 2019, 05:48:57 AM »
Rereading, and really enjoying, Dune. Not sure whether this counts as fantasy or not; it's so long since I last read it, but it seems to have some fantasy elements.

Offline Yora

« Reply #13091 on: December 17, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
It always looks to me like a fantasy story in sci-fi clothes. Just like Star Wars.

I just started reading Conan again. First story is pretty rough, but it's easy to see the huge potential.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13092 on: December 17, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
Finished Crooked Kingdom big Leigh Bardugo. Really enjoyed it. There's a great dynamic with the crew

On a non-genre break now, and then I'm not sure what's after that.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13093 on: December 18, 2019, 06:32:53 AM »
Finished Revenge of Eli Monpress which consists of The Spirit War and Spirit's End

A spectacular continuation from the earlier books.

The story takes a marked turn to epic fantasy as broader events hinted in earlier books come to play. First book is more of a place setter for the second book which ties the macro plot nicely.

As expected, writing is crisp and both books have different setting to keep the plot interesting. Though self contained, the books serve well to advance the overarching plot well.

A bit of cliched ending, but immensely satisfying and all in all an amazing series.

8/10

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: December 18, 2019, 09:18:46 PM »
Still reading The Starless Sea. Shapes up to be one of the best books I read this year. A pity the German version comes not before May so I can't gift it to my parents for Christmas.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)