September 26, 2020, 01:29:15 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072648 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13020 on: December 06, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »
I started Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

It was released this year but didn't really catch my attention, then I saw it was "necromancers in space" and I felt it was too bizarre to pass.
About 40% in, curious things happening, but nothing yet that keeps me dead on my tracks reading.
Oh, that's the one that @cupiscent said she was going to read next! I hadn't heard about it, then on the same day I see it mentioned 3 times (you two plus an article on Tor.com)

Yes! I have indeed started it, I'm a couple chapters in. (It's just been our main character introducing the world and her situation through a whooooole butt-ton of attitude plus getting her arse kicked by her wispy teenage girl necromantic nemesis. The writing is both snappy and atmospheric. I'm pretty into it so far.)

I think it's one of those US-only books so far - at least, I couldn't find it from a UK publisher, and had to order it from the States. (Published by Tor, only in hardback so far.) So it makes sense that UK-market hasn't seen a lot of buzz for it! I have mostly been hearing about it through US-market online friends.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13021 on: December 06, 2019, 02:33:40 AM »
Finished Starsight (Skyward #2) by Brandon Sanderson.

Continuation of his YA Sci-fi trilogy. After a solid opening in Book 1, he creates a vivid world and takes the plot to a different setting in Book 2. Though some events make you scratch your head, even for a sci-fi book, it ends brilliantly setting scene for next sequel and leaves you guessing where the plot is heading towards.

7/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13022 on: December 06, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
Started Godblind

Stopped reading Godblind at 33% in ,not my cup of tea  sorry.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13023 on: December 06, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
Another confirmation that we have very different tastes the majority of the time ::) ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #13024 on: December 06, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
Another confirmation that we have very different tastes the majority of the time ::) ;D

When we both like the same book it must be awesome!

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13025 on: December 06, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
Finished Starsight (Skyward #2) by Brandon Sanderson.

Continuation of his YA Sci-fi trilogy. After a solid opening in Book 1, he creates a vivid world and takes the plot to a different setting in Book 2. Though some events make you scratch your head, even for a sci-fi book, it ends brilliantly setting scene for next sequel and leaves you guessing where the plot is heading towards.

7/10

I got such a kick out of the first book. Looking forward to the second.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13026 on: December 06, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
Finished Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. 5/5

Here's what I posted on Goodreads:

Necromancers in space seemed too good and bizarre of a concept to pass. And I'm glad I didn't.

The book mixes very well creepy, seriousness and the wondrous with absurd jokes, witticisms and action. In less skilled hands maybe this could end up disastrous, but here it made the story flow really well.

In this world there are Nine Houses of necromancy, each with their own specialty and purpose, and then 18 of them (a necromancer and their bodyguard - classical swordsman/woman) all travel to a citadel full of magic and technology to pass trials to become Lyctors (assistants, let's say) for the God Emperor of the Dead.

There is no battle royale competition, though. They can all ascend together to near godhood... or only a few, or even none at all.

Of course, a lot of things go wrong and the plot thickens with conspiracies, backstabbing, alliances and a lot of suppositions that keep the story rolling.

We have good glimpses of all these people (obviously focusing on Gideon and her necromancer), though of course, some much more than others, but I think it was good enough. You may feel for some of them even with not much stage time.

And how it ended... I really wasn't expecting that. From the blurb and how things were going I actually thought it would be pretty predictable, but nope... total surprise.
And the implications of what might happen next really made me wish this was a complete series already.

Things now look really vast, and I can only hope the brilliance of it all doesn't get destroyed by everything getting super rushed, because it seems this is a trilogy.

Maybe it really fits fantastically, but the first impression after closing the book feels this is a much bigger story for just three books. Not a bad thing in any way, specially with such a fantastic concept, that kept evolving throughout the story.

Now at least one more year for the next one...
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Bender

« Reply #13027 on: December 06, 2019, 11:49:39 PM »

Oh, the premise caught my attention immediately. But the other Goodreads reviews are brutal. Hmmm.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13028 on: December 07, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »

Oh, the premise caught my attention immediately. But the other Goodreads reviews are brutal. Hmmm.

It's written in a very strong style. As is always the case with that, some people aren't going to like it. I've had a skim through some of the GR reviews, and I think it's mostly style-bounce - people don't like Gideon's attitude (which I LOVE, but mouthy "unlikable" lady protags face an uphill battle with some audiences) or they don't like Muir's word choices or constructions (I saw one review bitching about the over-complicated made-up names--talk about a staple of the genre, but also the most twisty name I've seen so far is "Nonagesimus" which is straight-up Latin...).

Perhaps have a look at the first few chapters and see what you think?

Offline Bender

« Reply #13029 on: December 07, 2019, 12:11:45 AM »
I pay only so much attention to the reviews. I really liked the premise as it's new and refreshing and have already bought the book and started it. 2 pages down atm.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13030 on: December 07, 2019, 12:56:36 AM »

I agree some may feel it starts a little dense and that the switches from creepy, serious and brutal space magic parts with others with dialogue and comedy YA may put some people off, but I thought it was so well handled it added to the story instead of being a disaster haha.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:58:23 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13031 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:15 AM »
finished rule 34 and it was very good read Auberon an Expanse short which was also very good. It would seem season 4 of The expanse starts 13th of December.

Offline Peat

« Reply #13032 on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »
I was going to finish The Bone Ships by RJ Barker today but after I missed a train today, I popped into a Red Cross and found The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart so I brought it and will probably be mainlining it. The fact Hughart only wrote 3 books is probable proof of objectively evil entities in the universe. My favourite line from it so far:

"You have a hole in your heart. All young people do. It's there to catch the wonderful things of the world, and later on it gets filled up by broken things".

Started Godblind

Good lords, it's been a while since we've agreed on a book.

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #13033 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »

Hmmm

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13034 on: December 08, 2019, 04:21:08 AM »

Hmmm
Is that code for 'eclipse will now trail old posts to find evidence'? ;D
I think you also agree on Jemisin's books, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!