February 25, 2020, 03:21:11 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1906440 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12990 on: November 28, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
I'm now reading Pratchett's Interesting Times

Oh my, this is so funny! Yesterday I was reading about the Silver Horde (really old heroes) learning how to be in a city without pillaging, attacking, robbing and killing, and using 'civilised words' ;D

This book also made me realise how wrong the casting of Two Flowers was in the tv adaptation of 'Colour of magic'!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12991 on: November 28, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
I finished my Miss Marple (so-so), and started The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness #3) by Tamora Pierce. My local library system has a couple of other Tamora Pierce serieses, so I thought I'd better get on and finish this one, even though it meant paying full price for the kindle version, which is against my nature. I prefer to buy hundreds of "bargains" I won't read for years, rather than spending a little extra to buy a book I will read immediately. Anyway, it's pretty short and aimed at a younger audience. I'm a third of the way through it after one evening.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: November 28, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
I finished my Miss Marple (so-so), and started The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness #3) by Tamora Pierce. My local library system has a couple of other Tamora Pierce serieses, so I thought I'd better get on and finish this one, even though it meant paying full price for the kindle version, which is against my nature. I prefer to buy hundreds of "bargains" I won't read for years, rather than spending a little extra to buy a book I will read immediately. Anyway, it's pretty short and aimed at a younger audience. I'm a third of the way through it after one evening.
I'm a big Tamora Pierce fan, so if you have some questions or are unsure about the reading order, hit me up.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12993 on: November 28, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
I'm a big Tamora Pierce fan, so if you have some questions or are unsure about the reading order, hit me up.
I'm going with publication order, I think, so The Immortals after this, I believe. I'm going to try and make an effort to read more library books next year, or I'll just forget until they disappear and I am annoyed with myself.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12994 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
Just 15% into Senlin Ascends and I'm already finding it hard to continue. It reads like a travelogue written by a naive Traveller explaining his naivety. The quick flashback don't help the flow either.

Does it the pace pick up and plot moves?

Sanderson's Starsight is out and I may switch before getting back to this again.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:56:28 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: November 29, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
For me it got a lot better after the bath section.

I like the series but a lot of people don’t.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12996 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »
It does get a bit better, but for me it read like short stories, one for each level - and I just didn't care enough for him to wish he'd find his wife (she's better off without him, I think ;D)

I only read book 1.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12997 on: November 29, 2019, 11:53:59 PM »
Just finished The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg, which is a pretty whacked out road trip about 4 80s American college boys who learn about a cult that claims to teach people how to live forever, but the catch is - 4 people apply, 2 live forever, providing 1 of the others is murdered and the other commits suicide. It's engrossing to read because of how deep inside their voices he goes but the actual story itself is very simple; felt somewhat nonplussed at the end but looking back, it's cool.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12998 on: November 30, 2019, 03:35:32 AM »
Just 15% into Senlin Ascends and I'm already finding it hard to continue. It reads like a travelogue written by a naive Traveller explaining his naivety. The quick flashback don't help the flow either.

Sanderson's Starsight is out and I may switch before getting back to this again.

I dropped it just as he entered the bath level. The writing is beautiful, sure, but I felt the cultural context of the place was just infuriating and just made no sense logically. I also ended up feeling extremely irritated with the main character for his naivety too.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12999 on: November 30, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »
I finished The Woman Who Rides Like a Man. Short and snappy, if a bit unfocused at the end where it's setting up the next book, which I'll read fairly soon, I expect.

I've started The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal. Another kindle book I have paid full price for and started immediately. I don't know what's wrong with me. Anyway, I loved the first one, and wanted another non-fantasy book by a woman that wouldn't take too long to read, so I picked this.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #13000 on: December 01, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »
I'm rereading Dragons of Autumn Twighlight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The Dragonlance Chronicles was the first high fantasy series I ever read, and I consider it the beginning of my love affair with the genre. I believe I was 13 at the time. 

Here's hoping I'll still find it as enjoyable at 37.  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:48:32 PM by The Sword in the Tome »
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: December 01, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
I'm rereading Dragons of Autumn Twighlight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The Dragonlance Chronicles was the first high fantasy series I ever read, and I considerate it the beginning of my love affair with the genre. I believe I was 13 at the time. 

OMG!!! That is so frigging awesome. Tell me how it goes! Read them at 12 I think. And now also 37.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13002 on: December 01, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
I'm rereading Dragons of Autumn Twighlight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  The Dragonlance Chronicles was the first high fantasy series I ever read, and I considerate it the beginning of my love affair with the genre. I believe I was 13 at the time. 

I haven't reread those for years. I did still enjoy their Rose of the Prophet series on a reread, though. Even now I still love the idea of the kender as a fantasy race.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13003 on: December 02, 2019, 02:26:16 AM »

It does start a bit slow, but it gets better and better as it goes on.

Which reminds me...I still haven't read the other books.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13004 on: December 02, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
I've started Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs, read one chapter last night.
Interesting and surprising, I think I expected a more 'normal' book, hehe - then again, Eclipse chose it ;)