December 08, 2019, 03:26:42 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1830551 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12960 on: November 14, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »
I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books!
There's only one more, it's not a trilogy, and book 2 is even better - great ending too!!

Ohhh it's a duology! I just knew that, seriously! I already have the second book, so I may move up the reading date than what I had planned initially.

I've finished reading The Traitor God by our Cameron Johnston. 4 stars-ish. A rollicking tale of adventure from the view point of Edrin Walker, rogue magus, tyrant, and considered a self-destructive drunk by many, the Traitor God delivered an action packed story inlaid with horrifying monstrosities like that out of a Lovecraftian myth. Personally, I liked the part that Edrin's power is mind manipulating magic, which is quite usual and less direct than most power wielded by the protagonist side. I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed by the overall climax part of the book, although how Edrin handled the ultimate bad guy was really cleverly done. All in all it's an amazing debut novel, and I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books!

I heard second book is better. When will you start? And will you join our read along? (City of Stairs)

I haven't bought City of Stairs yet hahah, so maybe laterrrr. (once my TBR pile starts to dwindle more than this)  ;D

Online Bender

« Reply #12961 on: November 14, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
Just finished this....

We are Legion (We are Bob) - Bobiverse #1
- Dennis E. Taylor

Bob, sci-fi geek doesn't believe in afterlife,so he arranges to freeze his head after death so future medical tech can revive him. Unfortunately for him future turns out to be a theocratic society ruled by religious nutcases. To make things worse they revive him as a sentient intelligence they can control. Impending space colonization race forces them to use Bob as lead intelligence in a Von Neumann probe (self replicating builders) to spread the religion across the Galaxy and beyond.

Things take a downturn when the launch of Bob triggers a nuclear war destroying most of Earth leaving Bob in charge of colonization for near non-existent humanity. The story follows Bob who replicates himself to colonize the Galaxy and probably save the remnants of humanity.

----

Light and refreshing take on sci-fi. Absolute fun to read.

I've never read a book where all the major characters are clones of themselves with their own individual psyche's. The banter and interaction between them is well written.

Plot is also a new take on the space colonization theme and book 1 serves as a proper place setter with it's self-contained plot. Loved the humorous take on the failings of humanity.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12962 on: November 14, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
I've finished reading The Traitor God by our Cameron Johnston. 4 stars-ish. A rollicking tale of adventure from the view point of Edrin Walker, rogue magus, tyrant, and considered a self-destructive drunk by many, the Traitor God delivered an action packed story inlaid with horrifying monstrosities like that out of a Lovecraftian myth. Personally, I liked the part that Edrin's power is mind manipulating magic, which is quite usual and less direct than most power wielded by the protagonist side. I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed by the overall climax part of the book, although how Edrin handled the ultimate bad guy was really cleverly done. All in all it's an amazing debut novel, and I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books!

So glad that you enjoyed it! :D

I'm currently reading the excellent Bloodchild by Anna Stephens. Phew! Exciting stuff.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12963 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:30 AM »
Finished both Magician: Master and The Ruby Knight.  Just started The Once And Future King.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12964 on: November 15, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Just started The Once And Future King.
I need to get back to that. I read the Sword in the Stone portion a few years ago, and stopped there.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12965 on: November 15, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Just started The Once And Future King.
I need to get back to that. I read the Sword in the Stone portion a few years ago, and stopped there.
I'm only a little over 40 pages in, but I'm already super impressed with it.   :)
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12966 on: November 17, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
Finished A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. I enjoyed it, although I didn't feel if was doing anything hugely special. Just a fun bit of space empire intrigue. Kind of C J Cherryh-ish. It feels almost like a trend for characters not to alone in their own heads now, although I guess it's only Yoon Ha Lee, and maybe Ann Leckie, apart from this.

Next will be A Traitor in Skyhold by John Bierce, the third Mage Errant book, my October KOLL loan.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
Bought Morgenstern's Starless Sea and will start soon. :)

Besides that, I'm reading "Open Borders" which I mentioned/promoted in the politics thread.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12968 on: November 19, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »
Started Halting State by Charlie Stross and it's excellent.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12969 on: November 20, 2019, 06:19:36 AM »
Finished Shadow's Edge and started City of Stairs
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Pemry Janes

« Reply #12970 on: November 21, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
Picked up The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang a couple of days ago from the library.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12971 on: November 22, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
I finished Weeks' Burning white, right on the library deadline, after a few hours' reading last night (I'm so tired today...)

What I said earlier is still valid: the niggles I had earlier (stated in the other thread) have somehow reduced, not in the sense that they disappeared, but rather that as I read more and more, it almost doesn't matter.
Yes, it was 900+ pages, but it didn't really feel like it, as the chapters are short-ish and I can stop easily (or say 'just one more chapter!')

Good things:
* It wasn't a bad ending, for the book or the series. Given some I've read, it was actually quite good and satisfying.
* It was much better than book 4, at least there wasn't anything that made me scream with annoyance.
* I really love some of the characters, and the diversity and variety in them, so if some don't appeal, there will always be others that do.

Bad things:
* What I said before got worse: it did feel that there was too much preaching. I know that it's a society where God/gods are important and relevant, but in this book they take a more active role in the plot and I couldn't help but feeling that it was far too similar to his idea of Christianity. Not a bad one either, so I'm not really sure why I was a bit uncomfortable/annoyed reading some parts.
* Without going into spoilers, there are parts where the fate of some of the characters is at risk, where bad things happen to some of them: I never really cared that much. I'm comparing for example to Stephens' Bloodchild, where I was screaming at the book and the bad things happening, 100% caring, and I didn't have any similar reaction to similar stuff in this book - I wonder if it was the timing, my general attitude, if I'd have felt differently if I was reading the 5 books in one go.

Still a great series - and I *love* the magic system!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: November 22, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
I finished Weeks' Burning white, right on the library deadline, after a few hours' reading last night (I'm so tired today...)

What I said earlier is still valid: the niggles I had earlier (stated in the other thread) have somehow reduced, not in the sense that they disappeared, but rather that as I read more and more, it almost doesn't matter.
Yes, it was 900+ pages, but it didn't really feel like it, as the chapters are short-ish and I can stop easily (or say 'just one more chapter!')

Good things:
* It wasn't a bad ending, for the book or the series. Given some I've read, it was actually quite good and satisfying.
* It was much better than book 4, at least there wasn't anything that made me scream with annoyance.
* I really love some of the characters, and the diversity and variety in them, so if some don't appeal, there will always be others that do.

Bad things:
* What I said before got worse: it did feel that there was too much preaching. I know that it's a society where God/gods are important and relevant, but in this book they take a more active role in the plot and I couldn't help but feeling that it was far too similar to his idea of Christianity. Not a bad one either, so I'm not really sure why I was a bit uncomfortable/annoyed reading some parts.
* Without going into spoilers, there are parts where the fate of some of the characters is at risk, where bad things happen to some of them: I never really cared that much. I'm comparing for example to Stephens' Bloodchild, where I was screaming at the book and the bad things happening, 100% caring, and I didn't have any similar reaction to similar stuff in this book - I wonder if it was the timing, my general attitude, if I'd have felt differently if I was reading the 5 books in one go.

Glad to hear it avoids book 4's "issues"  ::)

I've fallen well behind on fantasy releases, but hoping to start it sometime next month.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #12973 on: November 22, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »

Good things:

Bad things:

I'm really curious about this book. I'll start as soon as I finish:
  • City of Stairs
  • Other 2 books in the trilogy
  • Beyond the Shadows (Weeks)
  • Blood Mirror (Weeks)
:)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12974 on: November 22, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
I had a couple of days in bed ill earlier in the week, and managed to read about two-and-a-half books.

I finished A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3) by John Bierce, which was still pretty entertaining after a slow start.

I read pretty much all of A Fabulous Creation by David Hepworth. This is a non-fiction book about the golden age of LPs, which he puts at 1967 (Sergeant Pepper) to 1982 (Thriller). Interesting and very readable. I think I had only read the introduction before Tuesday.

Then I started Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1) by Lindsay Buroker, which so far seems entertaining and kind of lightweight.