December 11, 2019, 11:24:18 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1834779 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12945 on: November 03, 2019, 05:54:25 AM »
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman at the moment, quite enjoying it!
Is it anything like The Ocean at the End of the Lane? One of my favorites by him.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12946 on: November 04, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
Finished The Diamond Throne.  Now I'm switching between Magician: Master and The Ruby Knight.
Hats off to you, I don’t think I even made it to the end of The Diamond Throne the last time I attempted to reread The Elenium.
I actually enjoyed it.  (4/5) Sparhawk is a worthy main character, and his adventure in the first book is tightly written imo. 
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Bender

« Reply #12947 on: November 04, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
Now about to start Sufficiently Advanced Magic and then Bobiverse (We are Legion) to follow.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12948 on: November 05, 2019, 12:39:52 AM »
Finished The Diamond Throne.  Now I'm switching between Magician: Master and The Ruby Knight.
Hats off to you, I don’t think I even made it to the end of The Diamond Throne the last time I attempted to reread The Elenium.
I actually enjoyed it.  (4/5) Sparhawk is a worthy main character, and his adventure in the first book is tightly written imo.
I do like Sparhawk, but like with most of Eddings works for me the suck fairy has paid it a visit in between readings.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: November 05, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
Finished last month with Christopher Ruocchio's Howling Dark which was absolutely phenomenal. Can't believe I waited so long to read it.

Will probably read a few more Honor Harrington novels and then start A Little Hatred.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #12950 on: November 06, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
Just finished Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe.

Slightly flawed yet brilliant book.

(=) I doubt I've read another book where magical science (no, it's not a paradox) is dealt with in this detail. Author presents the magic system like readers are a class she teaches. Fascinating stuff but the sheer amount of details drags the pace and flow down to detriment of book as a whole. I love the details but hate the drag. So mixed emotions here.

The initial 10% of the book reads like a Dungeon Crawler game where characters clear a tower of hurdles moving up to harder levels which despite good writing still feels very game-esque and I wasn't that impressed. After that it switches to a School/Learning setting and that's when the pace picks up.

The author keeps the overall plot guessing and as book thunders to the finale, we get to know the full plot and book ends with plot tied up nicely and leading to book 2.

Overall despite my love for details, I wished the book was 30 pages shorter was towards the beginning and middle.

8/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Zairoq

« Reply #12951 on: November 07, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman at the moment, quite enjoying it!
Is it anything like The Ocean at the End of the Lane? One of my favorites by him.

Havent read that one, i'll keep it in mind!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12952 on: November 10, 2019, 07:14:38 PM »
Just finished Six Sacred Swords by Andrew Rowe.

A more lighthearted and fun version of Arcane Ascension featuring Keras as the protagonist. Give a bit of information on his background and his mission in Kaldwyn.

The first 10% of the book switches between first person and narrative views which was mildly annoying, but switches to a first person mode full on thankfully.

The writing and plot felt a bit repetitive with person 'navigating trap rooms to get object' just rehashed with different people and different traps. Coming to the last quarter, I started skip reading these keeping attention only to overall plot related sections. Unfortunately the book doesn't progress the Keras plot much both as a background and on way forward.

Hopefully the next book will have more plot content and less of the navigating traps thingy. Still a fun to read and the interaction between the main characters always brings a smile.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12953 on: November 11, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »
I finished The Black Prism by Brent Weeks on Saturday. I had a few issues with the writing, but generally enjoyed it. Unusually for me, I don't already own the sequel, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

I've moved on to A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine, which was an impulse borrow from the library last week, when my train was delayed on late-opening day.

Online isos81

« Reply #12954 on: November 11, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
I finished The Black Prism by Brent Weeks on Saturday. I had a few issues with the writing, but generally enjoyed it. Unusually for me, I don't already own the sequel, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Later books (2 and 3, haven't read 4 and 5 yet) are far better. I recommend them much more than the first one.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: November 11, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »
Definitely back in the fantasy groove:

My audiobook is Sword of Destiny - Andrzej Sapkowski

And my reading book is The Dreamsnatcher - Abi Elphinstone.
The Real Powers That Be

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12956 on: November 14, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
Still reading Weeks' Burning white, I'm almost reaching the halfway point.
The niggles I had earlier (stated in the other thread) have somehow reduced - not in the sense that they disappeared, but rather that as I read more and more, it almost doesn't matter and I don't care about the padding (if that makes any sense).
A bit too much preaching at points, do you know if Weeks is 'overtly religious' like Sanderson?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12957 on: November 14, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
I've finished reading The Traitor God by our Cameron Johnston. 4 stars-ish. A rollicking tale of adventure from the view point of Edrin Walker, rogue magus, tyrant, and considered a self-destructive drunk by many, the Traitor God delivered an action packed story inlaid with horrifying monstrosities like that out of a Lovecraftian myth. Personally, I liked the part that Edrin's power is mind manipulating magic, which is quite usual and less direct than most power wielded by the protagonist side. I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed by the overall climax part of the book, although how Edrin handled the ultimate bad guy was really cleverly done. All in all it's an amazing debut novel, and I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books! 

Online isos81

« Reply #12958 on: November 14, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
I've finished reading The Traitor God by our Cameron Johnston. 4 stars-ish. A rollicking tale of adventure from the view point of Edrin Walker, rogue magus, tyrant, and considered a self-destructive drunk by many, the Traitor God delivered an action packed story inlaid with horrifying monstrosities like that out of a Lovecraftian myth. Personally, I liked the part that Edrin's power is mind manipulating magic, which is quite usual and less direct than most power wielded by the protagonist side. I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed by the overall climax part of the book, although how Edrin handled the ultimate bad guy was really cleverly done. All in all it's an amazing debut novel, and I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books!

I heard second book is better. When will you start? And will you join our read along? (City of Stairs)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12959 on: November 14, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
I can't wait to know how Edrin the rogue's story will continue out in the subsequent books!
There's only one more, it's not a trilogy, and book 2 is even better - great ending too!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!