December 11, 2019, 02:36:36 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1834901 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12930 on: October 31, 2019, 10:06:39 AM »
Last night I finished Aliette de Bodard's The house of sundering flames, book 3 of the series (not sure if it's a trilogy, the books are all more or less self-contained, just with common characters).

There were parts I really loved, others less so. I'm not sure if it was me and my reading mindset, but I got really confused with a few of the characters, always having to think hard to remember where they actually fitted.
It was quite a good plot, very different to what we're normally used to seeing in fantasy books, so I definitely recommend it - but my favourite is still book 2.

In the meantime I got a call from my library saying they've got Week's Burning white for me now, so I'll change to a 'normal' epic fantasy now, hehe
I can only pick it up tomorrow or Saturday, though, so today I'm just reading my ongoing non-fiction, Diary of a bookseller by Shaun Bythell.
It's as it says, a diary of his life running a (really big) second hand bookshop in Wigtown (south Scotland - I was there 2 years ago!), and it's very funny and interesting.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online isos81

« Reply #12931 on: October 31, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »
In the meantime I got a call from my library saying they've got Week's Burning white

Is it out already? @ScarletBea
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12932 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
In the meantime I got a call from my library saying they've got Week's Burning white

Yes!
It came out on the 24th - my library bought 3 copies, apparently, hehe

I'll have to go find a summary of the previous 4 books... I remember the bad things and have a vague idea about the rest ;)

Online isos81

« Reply #12933 on: October 31, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »

Yes!

I'll have to go find a summary of the previous 4 books... I remember the bad things and have a vague idea about the rest ;)

Oh nice :) I was waiting for book 5 to start reading book 4. But from all the critics I read here, I'm not eager for book 4 although I had highest hopes for it.

BTW, do you just borrow the book from your library or do you pay a rental fee?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12934 on: October 31, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
I just borrow them, all for free, it's such an amazing thing!
And this one has got a very extensive fantasy section, and I can even ask them to buy specific books.

These ones in series I normally read them from the library in hardback as soon as they're published, then buy the paperback edition to keep at home.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12935 on: October 31, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries #1)
- Martha Wells

What an amazing novella. Short at just over 150 pages and quite interesting. Protagonist is a TV serial loving part human/part machine (T2'esque) security bot with a dark past which calls itself Murderbot. The plot is narrated from his pov and weaves his interactions with his current team against his dislike for humans in general brilliantly. A fun and adventurous read and you just can't help not liking Murderbot!

If you want a quick and interesting read, highly recommended!

8/10

I'm moving on to Book 2 now....
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Bender

« Reply #12936 on: October 31, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »

I'd warned you beforehand, since I've read two of V. E. Schwabb's trilogies, is that she almost always started out book 1 as something extremely original with great quality to boot, only for that quality to drop massively in the second to third books. There was one duology I wrote by her that I gave book 1 five stars, while I gave the second book one star. It was that massive of a drop, seriously.

I MUST finish a series till whatever has been published. So, would have read that irrespective. But yeah, it was a steep trade off between quantity vs quality. Not sure I'll pick up next books she writes in this series by default.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12937 on: November 01, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »

Yes!

Yay!
900 pages of very thin paper to make it feasible in hardcover, and it's got a summary of each of the previous 4 books in the beginning, I won't need to search online for reviews with spoilers!

I want to start now. Drats work >:( ;D

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12938 on: November 01, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
I finished The Clocks by Agatha Christie last night (not many Poirots left now), so it's on to book 1 for me, The Black Prism. I doubt I'll have much trouble with queues for The Burning White by the time I get there.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12939 on: November 01, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »
Murderbot is so much fun. I'm roaring through the series having read 3 but books in as many days.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12940 on: November 01, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »
Finished The Diamond Throne.  Now I'm switching between Magician: Master and The Ruby Knight.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Zairoq

« Reply #12941 on: November 01, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman at the moment, quite enjoying it! I read Good Omens a long time ago and that was a blast as well, I should read more Gaiman.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12942 on: November 01, 2019, 07:36:08 PM »
Swarm and Steel and a Tor anthology on Kindle

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12943 on: November 03, 2019, 02:56:06 AM »
I've finished reading The Autumn Republic, third book in the Powder Mage trilogy. Epic final book in what proved t be one hell of an action-packed, bloody trilogy. Though that ending wasn't my favorite cup of tea I still gave the book five stars for the quality throughout.

Started reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston simultaneously. The Traitor God already proved to be quite an addicting read so far.  :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12944 on: November 03, 2019, 05:10:36 AM »
Finished The Diamond Throne.  Now I'm switching between Magician: Master and The Ruby Knight.
Hats off to you, I don’t think I even made it to the end of The Diamond Throne the last time I attempted to reread The Elenium.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com