November 15, 2019, 04:36:28 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1796495 times)

Offline Beynon88

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12900 on: October 18, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »
Have finished The Black Prism, really enjoyed the complex magic system and the characters. I like Kip, he’s a disaster like me.  ;D
Not sure if I understand it completely yet but am invested enough in the story to carry on. I will read another book in between as it’s hard to differentiate where one book ends and the other starts otherwise for me  :-\

Will finish off The Langoliers by Stephen King, only have a few more pages left. Not really sure what to think of it, I enjoyed it, not enough to carry on if it was a series.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12901 on: October 20, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »
Have finished The Black Prism, really enjoyed the complex magic system and the characters. I like Kip, he’s a disaster like me.  ;D
Not sure if I understand it completely yet but am invested enough in the story to carry on. I will read another book in between as it’s hard to differentiate where one book ends and the other starts otherwise for me  :-\

Will finish off The Langoliers by Stephen King, only have a few more pages left. Not really sure what to think of it, I enjoyed it, not enough to carry on if it was a series.

IMO, 2nd and 3rd books were much better. Keep reading :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Beynon88

« Reply #12902 on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »

IMO, 2nd and 3rd books were much better. Keep reading :)

Your not the first to say that  :) I am definitely invested enough to continue he series. Will be starting second book soon, am going to look in the library.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12903 on: October 22, 2019, 12:13:18 AM »
Just started Magician: Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist.

Be sure to come back and tell us what you think. I haven't read any Feist books and would love to know if they've stood the test of time.
Finally finished it.  Unfortunately I was underwhelmed with the book's dialogue and character development.  That said, I will eventually read Magician: Master so I can form a proper opinion about this classic story.  But I plan on reading something else next.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Peat

« Reply #12904 on: October 22, 2019, 03:21:17 AM »
I am also in a rut but okay with it. Just not that interested in words right now. It'll come back. I hate the feeling of undone reviews though.

Breaking the curse of sequels by starting The Hawk Eternal by David Gemmell. It's the sequel of Ironhand's Daughter.

I've been warned it actually doesn't advance the main plot of the previous book, in fact, it sidetracks in favor of some side character... but it's just a duology, so at least I won't have to go through 1-4 more books to see how it ends.

It is indeed one of the loosest of sequels and I'm curious to see what you find of it. Personally I found The Hawk Eternal to be far more fun and interesting. I once read that Gemmell hated the MC of Ironhand's Daughter by the end of it, which made instant sense to me as I never got the impression he was that sold on the story, which is a shame.

Be sure to come back and tell us what you think. I haven't read any Feist books and would love to know if they've stood the test of time.
In my eyes it does. One of my favorite installments of the orphan becomes the chosen one-tropes.

Me myself, I think it stands the test of time in terms of being an interesting story and set of ideas, but the prose was never great and I think the way the story is told has dated.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12905 on: October 22, 2019, 05:21:01 AM »

Finally finished it.  Unfortunately I was underwhelmed with the book's dialogue and character development.  That said, I will eventually read Magician: Master so I can form a proper opinion about this classic story.  But I plan on reading something else next.
I found some of the same flaws you did when I last reread it fairly recently. It hasn't aged that well. I'd recommend the Empire series that Feist co wrote with Janny Wurtz and also Feist's own Faerie Tale, which is more urban than epic, and because of that is rather underrated.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: October 22, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
Been listening to The Last Wish as an audiobook. Really fun. Been ages since I last read an old school fantasy novel.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bender

« Reply #12907 on: October 23, 2019, 12:17:06 AM »
Halfway through Vicious and loving it. Writing style is Stark and unique almost clinical in the way she evokes emotions with minimum words. Just straight to heart.

Well defined, complex, grey characters and good plot till now to boot. Ticking all boxes till now....
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12908 on: October 23, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »
Just started David Eddings' The Diamond Throne.
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Bender

« Reply #12909 on: October 23, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »
Vicious
- V.E Schwab

Two bright college kids crack a theory behind people who are rumoured to have gained superpowers and trying it on themselves with a bloody trail of bodies left behind as a consequence. The characters are few, but well etched. They way author builds the characters as shades of grey which gets even more ambiguous as novel progresses is brilliant.

Writing style is stark and beautiful. There are no flowery descriptions and fancy words, just simple sentences that cut through straight to the heart. The way book is structured in multiple small chapters gives the reads of sense of flipping through cards as the story cuts across characters, locations and timelines.

At the end you end up cursing the simplistic beauty of the book and wished the author had written more pages and not leave you wanting for more!

9/10

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12910 on: October 23, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »
Vicious
- V.E Schwab

Two bright college kids crack a theory behind people who are rumoured to have gained superpowers and trying it on themselves with a bloody trail of bodies left behind as a consequence. The characters are few, but well etched. They way author builds the characters as shades of grey which gets even more ambiguous as novel progresses is brilliant.

Writing style is stark and beautiful. There are no flowery descriptions and fancy words, just simple sentences that cut through straight to the heart. The way book is structured in multiple small chapters gives the reads of sense of flipping through cards as the story cuts across characters, locations and timelines.

At the end you end up cursing the simplistic beauty of the book and wished the author had written more pages and not leave you wanting for more!

9/10
There's a sequel of sorts called Vengeful, which is also quite good, although not up to Vicious superlative standard.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12911 on: October 24, 2019, 12:54:53 AM »
There's a sequel of sorts called Vengeful, which is also quite good, although not up to Vicious superlative standard.

On chapter 1.... I can't leave a series unfinished without going insane.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: October 25, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
Coming to the end of the audiobook of The Last Wish.   What do I listen to next?  Sword of Destiny or Blood of Elves?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: October 27, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »
Coming to the end of the audiobook of The Last Wish.   What do I listen to next?  Sword of Destiny or Blood of Elves?
You're listening to old school fantasy novels at the moment? May I recommend The Sword of Truth to you?  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12914 on: October 27, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Listened to “Skyward” by Brandon Sanderson, very fun, very fast-paced YA SF.
So I decided to get “Elantris” and listen to that. Oh my, very slow, with a horrible narrator. But I’m slogging through, having read a review that said the book really takes off after the first third.

Meanwhile, after 4 wonderful Murderbot novellas, Martha Wells is coming out with a full-length MB novel. Color me very excited. But I have to wait for April!  >:(

Pretty funny that Sanderson has an AI character in Skyward named “MBot”, and slips in a MurderBot reference.

Folks, the MurderBot stories are just. so. awesome.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com