November 22, 2019, 07:06:05 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1803776 times)

Offline Lu Kudzoza

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12885 on: October 12, 2019, 05:02:16 PM »
Just started Magician: Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist.

Be sure to come back and tell us what you think. I haven't read any Feist books and would love to know if they've stood the test of time.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12886 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:56 PM »

Be sure to come back and tell us what you think. I haven't read any Feist books and would love to know if they've stood the test of time.
You can count on it.  :)
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: October 13, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »

In my eyes it does. One of my favorite installments of the orphan becomes the chosen one-tropes.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12888 on: October 13, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »
Breaking the curse of sequels by starting The Hawk Eternal by David Gemmell. It's the sequel of Ironhand's Daughter.

I've been warned it actually doesn't advance the main plot of the previous book, in fact, it sidetracks in favor of some side character... but it's just a duology, so at least I won't have to go through 1-4 more books to see how it ends.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Beynon88

« Reply #12889 on: October 14, 2019, 10:24:21 PM »
Hello to everyone,
I’m about 47% through The Black Prism and really enjoying it. Very pleased that this is very soon to be a completed series.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12890 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:00 AM »
I'm back in a rut now. Can't get into any new books.

I'm behind on my 52 books quota for the year and this ain't helping...
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #12891 on: October 15, 2019, 06:00:12 AM »

I also wished to read 52 books a year, too but I can barely read half the count due to daily distractions and obligations.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12892 on: October 15, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
Hello to everyone,
I’m about 47% through The Black Prism and really enjoying it. Very pleased that this is very soon to be a completed series.
I also loved the Black Prism. And books 2 and 3. Then he ruined with 4, in my opinion, I hope you like it better than I did...
I still can't wait for 5, though ;D

Do you want to post a new thread asking for ideas? Mention the books you did like recently and we might come up with good ideas.
And please, stop the "target of books to read in a year"! I had that in the past and it only caused me stress, which sounds similar to what you're going through :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:00:31 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12893 on: October 15, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
Hello to everyone,
I also loved the Black Prism. And books 2 and 3. Then he ruined with 4, in my opinion, I hope you like it better than I did...

Do you want to post a new thread asking for ideas? Mention the books you did like recently and we might come up with good ideas.
And please, stop the "target of books to read in a year"! I had that in the past and it only caused me stress, which sounds similar to what you're going through :-\

Maybe Bender just got forced into it by Goodreads, like I was.  ;D I'd often set pretty low goals so that I'd surely reach and overshoot those goals, though.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12894 on: October 15, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
I'm always setting achievable goals like "2 books a month" so that I'm always ahead of the schedule ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12895 on: October 15, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
I've had a couple of long/slow books recently which have probably ruined my chances of making 100 books again this year, but I didn't have a specific target, that's just a nice round number.

I'm about a third of the way through The Gray House by Miriam Petrosyan. It's still not all that fantastical, but I'm enjoying it. It's about a boarding school for disabled(?) children. It's looking like it will take me another two weeks, but my only real goal is to finish it before the end of October so I don't lose my October KOLL loan. I've finished Reddit Bingo, and I've already read my Black book for the month*, so there's no pressure.

*The Black Prism is probably going to be next month's book for me.

Offline Beynon88

« Reply #12896 on: October 15, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »

Hello to everyone,

Good to know that it continues as a good series. Hopefully you find 5 better and is a good end to the series

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12897 on: October 17, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »
Started Chasing Graves. An Intruiging start and I suspect i will prefer this book to the other Ben Galley books I have read.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12898 on: October 18, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday? It's @CameronJohnston  The Traitor God! I'm counting the days until I'm finished reading the last book of the Powder Mage series and I'm definitely jumping right into the Traitor God. So excited.  :D

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12899 on: October 18, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
Woo! I hope you enjoy it! Powder Mage is great and I'm waiting on the third of his next trilogy. I've just finished The Library on Mount Char and that was...unique? Damn good but not quite sure how to describe it.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things