August 10, 2020, 09:51:18 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2048355 times)

Online isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12870 on: October 08, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
I have trouble understanding some of the parts in this book and the book lacks depth so far (25% in). Maybe it's because I read it while walking or maybe I'm reading it in English.

This is Brent's debut novel if I'm not mistaken. If so, the depth thing is understadable. Lightbringer was also a slow start. This book might change later, just like Lightbringer :)
Interesting.  I didn't feel like The Way of Shadows had a slow start.  Or lacked depth, for that matter.

It may be that I might have missed some points. I'm not saying that the book is lacking depth but I feel like it :)

*whispers* I do feel the beginning portions of the Way of Shadows to be lacking some depth too. All the violence just seemed too unbelievably extreme, I think.

Exactly my point. There are lots of action stuff but no depth in it. Still much better than the Throne of Glass (another assassin series) tho ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #12871 on: October 08, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
Exactly my point. There are lots of action stuff but no depth in it.
I'm not sure how you're using the word depth.  But if you more or less mean worthy of emotional investment, then for me (and I imagine many other fans of the series) that was earned from caring about Azoth and the other children struggling to survive their truly hellish circumstances. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:50:52 PM by The Sword in the Tome »
My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline P. S. Stern

« Reply #12872 on: October 08, 2019, 06:40:54 PM »
I'm currently stuck reading non-fiction at the moment unfortunately.

The last work of fiction I read was actually Sci-Fi: The three Body Problem by Liu Cixin.

Online isos81

« Reply #12873 on: October 08, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
Exactly my point. There are lots of action stuff but no depth in it.
I'm not sure how you're using the word depth.  But if you more or less mean worthy of emotional investment, then for me (and I imagine many other fans of the series) that was earned from caring about Azoth and the other children struggling to survive their truly hellish circumstances.

I'm using depth like the opposite of shallow.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

« Reply #12874 on: October 08, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
I'm using depth like the opposite of shallow.
Gotcha.  So long as it means something to you.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12875 on: October 10, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
Finished City of Brass by by S.A. Chakraborty I was disappointed. It works and bits are great and really well written,but let down by one of my pet bugbears It you write about a non human species don't make them human, or make them human and then you don't actually put the work into making them different.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12876 on: October 11, 2019, 01:31:22 AM »
Finished Ironhand's Daughter by David Gemmell. 4/5

Probably a 3/5, but it was fun, short and had some very interesting events and surprises.

On the other hand, some other events and plotlines' resolutions felt so extremely simplistic or under developed...

But then again, something simple and short was just what I needed at the moment.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #12877 on: October 11, 2019, 10:35:39 AM »
Reading Sven Hedin's Journey to Tibet. He was a Swedish explorer and one of the first Europeans to travel through the inaccessible parts of Asia (Gobi desert, Himalaya, etc), nearly dying a few times. The journey was in 1901-1903 and the German translation of the book is from 1912.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #12878 on: October 11, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »
I'll be reading "The Secret Commonwealth" by Philip Pullman later today (I think it's out anyway. I guess I'll find out in a bit :) )
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12879 on: October 11, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
I'll be reading "The Secret Commonwealth" by Philip Pullman later today (I think it's out anyway. I guess I'll find out in a bit :) )
It is!
I'll get it in paperback eventually. Since it's not directly linked to any of the others (it's about adult Lyra), I'm in no rush to read it asap.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #12880 on: October 11, 2019, 05:35:18 PM »
Waste Tide by Chen Quifan, my latest dip into Chinese SF. It's a good book, set in the near future and with a strong eco-thriller bend, but I'm finding the style a little hard to get into. Feels more like collections of scenes than a novel. But it does have footnotes, which I always love.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #12881 on: October 11, 2019, 10:00:58 PM »
@Justan Henner
Spoiler for Hiden:
Wasn't Trin's deal with Fate was she becoming a god. Now Death is on the world, but Trin isn't a god. Has Fate lied or I missed something or have to read future books to clarify (as in she's ascended or something)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

« Reply #12882 on: October 11, 2019, 11:33:34 PM »
Just started Magician: Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12883 on: October 12, 2019, 03:30:50 AM »
Just started Magician: Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist.

One of the classics.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #12884 on: October 12, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
@Justan Henner
Spoiler for Hiden:
Wasn't Trin's deal with Fate was she becoming a god. Now Death is on the world, but Trin isn't a god. Has Fate lied or I missed something or have to read future books to clarify (as in she's ascended or something)

@Bender

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, I usually tell people to reread chapters 21 and 70, but I think you're already on the right track.