October 18, 2019, 09:57:50 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1770711 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12810 on: September 21, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
Despite being a Sanderson fanboy, I've tried to start Elantris several long months ago and kind of dropped it off after the first chapter too, hahah. I'd probably get back to it someday, though I'd say it's certainly his debut novel, it's not half as strong as his other books.
I struggled with Elantris, too. It's OK, but it lacks drive, and is a bit of a struggle to get through. It's one to read just for completeness, if you're already a fan, I think.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12811 on: September 21, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
Later today book 4 will be started, The widow's house.

And book 4 has been finished, started with book 5 immediately(the last one!).
I so love this series, it's epic with a twist - think bankers and financial masterminds fighting the war, hehe - and the characters are very well developed.

It's so interesting to see how he can write such different books so well - I'm thinking of the Long Price quartet as the same author (which I've read and also loved), but of course he also writes the Expanse books as James Corey (which I haven't read).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12812 on: September 22, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
A Little Hatred is a wonderful read so far. Great flow, flawed and spiteful characters and If you like the first law series its nice to see how the kids turned out and the grown ups fade.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12813 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:01 AM »
Curiously I didn't struggle with Elantris. Maybe because it was among my first excursions on Fantasy, so I had nothing to compare it to.

Maybe it would be different now. I struggled a little more with Mistborn later after I read books from other authors.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12814 on: September 25, 2019, 03:04:12 AM »
I'm reading Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by K.J. Parker.

Mixed feelings so far.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12815 on: September 25, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
I finished Age of Assassins by RJ Barker last night. Really enjoyed it. It has kind of an unusual dynamic, in that the main character is actually pretty badass but has to pretend not to be. I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy at some point.

A golden age whodunnit next, with The Black Spectacles by John Dickson Carr, master of the locked room mystery (but not all that great a writer).

Offline Bender

« Reply #12816 on: September 25, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
Finally finished Death's Merchant by @Justan Henner

I'm always sceptical when people list Malazan under "similar recommendations" as it's quite unique. But such a comparison is well warranted for this book. Calling it epic would be an understatement. The author weaves a tale spanning, countries, mortals, gods and even forces beyond them. The sheer scope of the book and events is an spectacle of its own.

The writing style would instantly draw comparisons to Gardens of the Moon. The author drops you into a unfamiliar world and just introduces characters and relationships at a blistering pace. You can instantly sense the scope of the world building, but a few pages later, you realize it's just a prologue to the actual plot. It gets wilder when you realize that the prologue itself is just a climax for mostly unexplained events that happened before.

Then he drops you on the back of a succession of characters and lets you explore the world with him all the while dropping nuggets of big picture and lets you assemble the full picture on your own. The events pick up speed and the second half moves at breakneck speed leading to a climax that leaves you reminding of WoT's Aes Sedai quotes "It's an ending, just not the one you were looking for" and leaves you wondering when the next book gets published. I was curious on how the author would tie up the threads and was pleasantly surprised to see the main plot tied up with enough threads hanging (leading to next book, I hope). 

I personally found that there is a over philosophication going on in first half of the book, like you have an event and then multiple pages of characters analysing the event. It's mostly characters thoughts and thought was interesting, it did stretch my patience as I was willing them to get a crack on.

Spoiler for Hiden:
For example, there is a whole page dedicated to Null trying to decide if she is feeling excited or not getting to meet the king. The analysis is good, but the abundance of what I prefer to call bloat, made it tedious reading. I spend twice as much time getting through first half than the second.

Another example would be that Trin and Bell can't have a discussion without she whining about Fate and him trying to convince her otherwise. Felt so repetitive.

After having read fully, I felt the segments involving Erin and Null, Mycah and Tyvan just didn't add any value although this is probably a hasty comment as the series is still unfinished. Also the Rin Tepa section was there only as a stage setter for the queen to explain events. Didn't really find them significant otherwise.

Felt that this book would have been so much better had this been about 15-20% shorter, mostly in first half.

Still an classic read. Recommended, but be warned this is a big book and like fine wine has to be savoured sip by sip. I'm hooked enough to eagerly await the next book.

@isos81
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

« Reply #12818 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:21 PM »
Guess my review worked  ;)

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/active-members-with-novels/msg195285/#msg195285

Ha yeah. That Malazan reference baited me in. Good thing too.

Will start Orconomics next. Need a lighter read now.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12819 on: September 26, 2019, 03:27:10 AM »
Finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by K.J. Parker. 4/5

Took me awhile to get engaged, the MC seemed way too self-conscious that it was annoying, but thankfully his tone changes for the better.

I like how Parker makes use of the "luck element" in his stories, but this time things just felt convenient for the story, much different from say, The Folding Knife or The Last Witness.

Anyway, the story slowly gripped me, and some of the side characters become really interesting, specially as some nice revelations start dripping in. And then it ends. Yeah, it took some balls to end like that... pros for that and cons for a total lack of conclusiveness on a lot of stuff you started to care about.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12820 on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:42 AM »
Finally finished Death's Merchant by @Justan Henner

I'm always sceptical when people list Malazan under "similar recommendations" as it's quite unique. But such a comparison is well warranted for this book. Calling it epic would be an understatement. The author weaves a tale spanning, countries, mortals, gods and even forces beyond them. The sheer scope of the book and events is an spectacle of its own.

The writing style would instantly draw comparisons to Gardens of the Moon. The author drops you into a unfamiliar world and just introduces characters and relationships at a blistering pace. You can instantly sense the scope of the world building, but a few pages later, you realize it's just a prologue to the actual plot. It gets wilder when you realize that the prologue itself is just a climax for mostly unexplained events that happened before.

Then he drops you on the back of a succession of characters and lets you explore the world with him all the while dropping nuggets of big picture and lets you assemble the full picture on your own. The events pick up speed and the second half moves at breakneck speed leading to a climax that leaves you reminding of WoT's Aes Sedai quotes "It's an ending, just not the one you were looking for" and leaves you wondering when the next book gets published. I was curious on how the author would tie up the threads and was pleasantly surprised to see the main plot tied up with enough threads hanging (leading to next book, I hope). 

I personally found that there is a over philosophication going on in first half of the book, like you have an event and then multiple pages of characters analysing the event. It's mostly characters thoughts and thought was interesting, it did stretch my patience as I was willing them to get a crack on.

Spoiler for Hiden:
For example, there is a whole page dedicated to Null trying to decide if she is feeling excited or not getting to meet the king. The analysis is good, but the abundance of what I prefer to call bloat, made it tedious reading. I spend twice as much time getting through first half than the second.

Another example would be that Trin and Bell can't have a discussion without she whining about Fate and him trying to convince her otherwise. Felt so repetitive.

After having read fully, I felt the segments involving Erin and Null, Mycah and Tyvan just didn't add any value although this is probably a hasty comment as the series is still unfinished. Also the Rin Tepa section was there only as a stage setter for the queen to explain events. Didn't really find them significant otherwise.

Felt that this book would have been so much better had this been about 15-20% shorter, mostly in first half.

Still an classic read. Recommended, but be warned this is a big book and like fine wine has to be savoured sip by sip. I'm hooked enough to eagerly await the next book.

@isos81

Wow, these are very high praises. I just finished Red Seas under Red Skies and was planning to read The Republic of Thieves but this review might sway me to Death's Merchant :)

Do you know how many books will be in this series and when the next on is going to be published? And is this book a standalone or are the books are connected?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12821 on: September 26, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »
I'm about 40% into Orconomics and I'm surprised it won the SPFBO. I mean it's a good book with a fantastic world, but there's a distinct lack of depth even accounting for a comic fantasy book. I can't relate to any characters and story meanders across. Except for world building, I'm still waiting for something to excite me. At same point in book both Death's Merchant and Here be Dragons were fat more enticing.

Fingers crossed, I'll get pleasantly surprised.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12822 on: September 27, 2019, 07:04:03 AM »
I started Republic of Thieves after finishing Red Seas under Red Skies.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12823 on: September 27, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »

Can't wait for your opinion on the book, hahah. The feedback from various people so far have been quite conflicting.  ;D

Offline isos81

« Reply #12824 on: September 27, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »

Can't wait for your opinion on the book, hahah. The feedback from various people so far have been quite conflicting.  ;D

I seriously hope I'm not facing another Denna-like character :)