October 19, 2019, 12:54:43 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1773124 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12780 on: September 16, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
On to the next GB book, then :) Thanks!
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12781 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
Finished Locke Lamora. Looking for a new one. Should I continue Gentleman Bastards? I heard that they are going downhill after first book?
Red Seas Under Red Skies is in my opinion not as a good as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but there others who prefer it. Having said that it is still a good deal better than plenty of other books out there.  It does however have pirates and pirates in a book is rarely a bad thing. Republic of Thieves (the 3rd book) is where some of the issues begin.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #12782 on: September 17, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
Finished Locke Lamora. Looking for a new one. Should I continue Gentleman Bastards? I heard that they are going downhill after first book?
Red Seas Under Red Skies is in my opinion not as a good as The Lies of Locke Lamora, but there others who prefer it. Having said that it is still a good deal better than plenty of other books out there.  It does however have pirates and pirates in a book is rarely a bad thing. Republic of Thieves (the 3rd book) is where some of the issues begin.

Started Red Seas under Red Skies. A beautiful name :)

What issues?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12783 on: September 17, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »

What issues?

*cough cough* Sabetha mostly  ::) *cough cough*

That being said, I totally love the interludes in the third book though, the playacting was amazing.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12784 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:55 PM »

What issues?

*cough cough* Sabetha mostly  ::) *cough cough*

That being said, I totally love the interludes in the third book though, the playacting was amazing.
She's one of them. I also found the whole play within the play rather self indulgent. Some ruthless editing could have cut the book down by a good few pages and it would have been a better, tighter work for it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12785 on: September 18, 2019, 01:15:14 AM »
I don't think Sabetha was really a problem in Republic. It's just that Locke got dumbed down so much.

For me the main problem was that almost everything that happened was off screen, with both Locke and Sabetha just ordering goons around without almost ever leaving their office and simply just telling the results later. Maybe it represented the politics aspect well, but wasn't exactly enjoyable.

The mage "antagonist" recovering/getting super powers out of nowhere was absurd.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12786 on: September 18, 2019, 01:24:45 AM »
Guess I found the book that broke my massive reading slump. It's A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine.

It's sci-fi, with a great empire with an Aztec name governing almost all the galaxy. One of the few independent regions send a new Ambassador to their capital after the previous one died.
They have technology that preserves the memories of predecessors, so you have like fifteen diplomatic lineages, among other professions and roles, and your mind kind of merge with the previous memories of the previous people.
Some things go wrong, like her imago (the memory thing) stops working so she goes to a completely alien world without any extra help. There's a large conspiracy engineered by her predecessor that she had no idea what it is.

There's a lot of intrigue, and it's mostly court intrigue so far (~40%), but it flows really well. Only put it down when I got really tired.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12787 on: September 18, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »
Hey, I know that I asked the question but stop the spoilers please. I haven't even finished the second book yet ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: September 18, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »
Hey, I know that I asked the question but stop the spoilers please. I haven't even finished the second book yet ;D

Didn’t know you were reading A Memory Called Empire I stop with the spoilers isos81
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #12789 on: September 18, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »

Didn’t know you were reading A Memory Called Empire I stop with the spoilers isos81

I'm reading Red Seas under Red Skies :)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12790 on: September 19, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Finished A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. 5/5

Really enjoyed. It's space court intrigue, and it flowed really well. Some nice technology usages, customs and... names haha. You'll have to read to see it.

Hopefully I'm out of the reading slump now.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12791 on: September 19, 2019, 04:13:36 AM »
Wow, suddenly everyone is reading A Memory Called Empire. I guess I'll have to pick that up someday at this rate.

I'm continuing with the Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage #2), while at the same time also reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12792 on: September 19, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
Finished Turning Darkness Into Light by Marie Brennan and it is super good.

Starting The Tiger and the Wolf by Adrian Tchaikovsky and I am quite interested but also kinda wanting something to happen. The book starts fast then slows almost immediately.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12793 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Finished Turning Darkness Into Light by Marie Brennan and it is super good.
Is that her new series?
Did you read the Lady Trent books, how do they compare?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12794 on: September 19, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
I finally finished Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer. What an odd book. I'm not totally sure what I thought of it. There's some interesting social speculation, some very strange characters, and some fantastical elements that make me not really want to call it SF. It's not very complete, either, for a 500-page book that took me nearly 3 weeks to read. It says it's the first half of a story, but there are at least 3 more books in the series, so I don't know how that works out. I'm not yet sure if I'll continue.

Unless I have a sudden change of mind, I'm probably going to read Age of Assassins by RJ Barker next.