October 18, 2019, 09:57:19 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1770698 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12765 on: September 09, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
%50 on Locke Lamora and I'm definitely getting in. It's getting better and better :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
@Elfy was right (and I not surprised), To be taught, if fortunate is a wonderful book. Becky has the rare talent to write Science Fiction second and people first.

Don't know what I'll start next yet...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12767 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »
I'm struggling a bit with Too Like the Lightning. Too tired and too short of time last week, and I'm only about a third of the way in. It's not really what I was expecting, so far. I thought it was going to be a space opera, but it's been completely earthbound so far, and there's a major fantastical element which hasn't really come into play much yet.

I'm getting kind of anxious about it taking so long, and the logjam of other books building up. Especially since I've picked up the Hugo winner (The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal) and the BSFA winner (Embers of War by Gareth L Powell) since I started it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12768 on: September 11, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
I've started The tyrant's law, book 3 in Daniel Abraham's series The Dagger and the Coin (there are 5 in total).
I've finished this one today, and wow: I loved the way each main character was developed, changed and grew, all perfectly logical and aligned with their personality and environment.
As I chatted with @cupiscent on another thread, I loved Clara's and Cithrin's chapters, such different strong women!
I spent a big part of the book wondering how the story could fit 5 books, since things seemed to be coming to a close, but in true Daniel style, things were resolved but not, not really, there's more.
And wow for the surprising prologue and amazing ending, that made me glad I got the other 2 books already hehe

Later today book 4 will be started, The widow's house.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

« Reply #12769 on: September 11, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
Started Death's Merchant by Justan Henner. Somehow I gave it up after few pages last time. Giving it a proper go now.

Bought Vicious by V.E. Schwab to read next. Looks to be a dark and gritty take about betrayals and like within the super(anti)hero context. Has rave reviews everywhere, so it follows next.
Not all those who wander are lost

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12770 on: September 12, 2019, 04:18:34 AM »
Started Death's Merchant by Justan Henner. Somehow I gave it up after few pages last time. Giving it a proper go now.

Bought Vicious by V.E. Schwab to read next. Looks to be a dark and gritty take about betrayals and like within the super(anti)hero context. Has rave reviews everywhere, so it follows next.

I'm curious about Vicious as well. V. E. Schwab is great in coming up with original ideas, and her first books were usually great, though her second in a series usually not so much. Do let me know how the book goes.  :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12771 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:45 AM »

I'm curious about Vicious as well. V. E. Schwab is great in coming up with original ideas, and her first books were usually great, though her second in a series usually not so much. Do let me know how the book goes.  :)
Vicious is really good, probably the best of her books that I’ve read. The sequel Vengeful is also quite good.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12772 on: September 15, 2019, 12:03:56 AM »
finished Bbright Steel a fair conclusion to the trilogy. Started City of Brass.

Offline MrChristopher

« Reply #12773 on: September 15, 2019, 07:00:28 AM »
%50 on Locke Lamora and I'm definitely getting in. It's getting better and better :)

Damn, you're pulling away. That's what I get for letting work get in the way of reading. I'm 35% and still enjoying it.
<Witty Signature Currently Under Construction>

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12774 on: September 15, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »
I've just finished Promise of Blood.(which I spent like 5 months in total trying to finish it) I like the bloody action sequences, but there's also a lot not to like about this book. For one, it had one of the most proofreading mistakes I've ever came across in published novels, with typos everywhere during the first half of the book. The book started wonderfully, it was slower down during the middle parts, but the end does picked up well enough. I'm going to read the sequel. 

Offline isos81

« Reply #12775 on: September 16, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »

Damn, you're pulling away. That's what I get for letting work get in the way of reading. I'm 35% and still enjoying it.

%85 currently. Normally, I would have finished this book way earlier but this month has been a slow month. I will probably read one more book and finish the month :)

The book is excellent btw :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12776 on: September 16, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »

The book is excellent btw :)

I knew it! *cheers*

Offline isos81

« Reply #12777 on: September 16, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »
Finished Locke Lamora. Looking for a new one. Should I continue Gentleman Bastards? I heard that they are going downhill after first book?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12778 on: September 16, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Finished Locke Lamora. Looking for a new one. Should I continue Gentleman Bastards? I heard that they are going downhill after first book?
Well, I liked book 2 better than book 1 (shoot me!)
It's got PIRATES :D LADY pirates 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: September 16, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »
s

Who said this? I told you not to listen to those Facebook fools. I mean there still banging on about WoT casting still.  I loved all three Locke books myself   :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:29:33 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate