October 17, 2019, 07:12:10 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1769939 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12720 on: August 23, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
I finished Dreams Before the Start of Time by Anne Charnock last night. It was interesting - lots of speculation about the future of reproductive technology - but I didn't love it. It hopped around a large cast, and jumped forward in time once or twice, and so was hard to get attached to. My second Clarke winner of the month, though.

I've moved on to (The) Lion of Senet by Jennifer Fallon. (No definite article on the cover or spine, but there is one on the title page.) Too early to form any opinions yet, but it's a paperback, and I'm already annoyed by that.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12721 on: August 23, 2019, 04:57:47 PM »
Hm. I sat down earlier and read the first fifty pages of Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, the first thing of his I have read in years. It's fairly interesting, if a depressing look at post-Shining Danny Torrance.

He's a bit of a mess.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12722 on: August 24, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
I discovered that my library has got books 2-5 of Daniel Abraham's The dagger and the coin series (I read book 1 2 years ago but still hadn't continued), so I'm doing them now.
I just need to refresh my memory on what happened in book 1 :-\ Calling @cupiscent, help! I can only remember a young woman who works in Finance ;D

ummmmm now you're testing me! Let's see how much I can remember! :D From memory, Abraham is pretty good about giving pertinent reminders in each book, because I didn't read them all in one swoop, but I don't remember being confused ever.

Spoiler for Let me try a summary anyway:
Geder Palliako, who just wants to be left alone with his scholarship, winds up in charge of the conquered city of Vanai because politics and, lacking better options and perhaps any sense of empathy, burns it down (so he can get home). It's a very KJ Parker moment, where you can't deny it's the sensible thing to do but ye gods, man, what kind of moral vacuum ARE YOU?

Cithrin bel Sarcour was transporting the wealth of the Vanai branch of the Medean bank away for safe-keeping, with the assistance of Marcus Wester, tired mercenary and disgraced war hero, and in the company of Master Kit (who obviously Has Secrets) and his company of players. Cithrin is left orphaned (again) by the destruction of Vanai. She decides to use the bank's wealth--and her own mercantile savvy--to establish her own illicit branch of the bank in the city she flees to (Porte Oliva). Marcus stays with her because he has a lot of issues over the death of his daughter. Cithrin does ok with this stuff because she's pretty canny, but she also makes some mistakes because she's young. (I seem to recall she also becomes an alcoholic?) An auditor comes to rap her over the knuckles for her temerity, and she cuts a deal that leaves her still in nominal control of the bank, with heavy supervision.

Back in Camnipol, Dawson Kalliam and his wife Clara are politicking; there's a plot against Prince Aster's life that seems to be foreign but might just be domestic. (I honestly can't remember much about this and I don't think the details are that important? Also I seem to recall one of their sons is really good friends with Geder.) Geder wanders off to the East and discovers the remnants of a long-lost spider cult who have strange powers over/with the truth. He brings Basrahip back with him to Camnipol, which is obviously a terrible idea, Geder you PLONKER.

This is probably the worst summary ever! ;D
I realise that I never thanked you for the summary, it did help and it wasn't the worst ever ;D

So yesterday I finished book 2, The king's blood. I liked it, but at points it felt a bit contrived and "waiting for something else" (I can't describe it better) - 4 stars instead of 5. It's still a great series (I love Cithrin and I'm appaled at Geder and how completely selfish and oblivious he is!), and I already have book 3 at home.

However, as there's a queue and I do have to return it within 3 weeks, I'm starting Ed McDonald's Crowfall today, and then read books 3-5 of Abraham's series afterwards :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #12723 on: August 26, 2019, 12:03:18 PM »
Finished When Crows Caved by @S. K. Inkslinger :)

Not sure about the next book. Either Lies of Locke Lamora or Night Angel Trilogy.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #12724 on: August 27, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's great. I struggled a little with the present-tense, episodic style but it really works.
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Peat

« Reply #12725 on: August 27, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
Most of the way through War For The Oaks - lot of fun in that 80s tastic way.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #12726 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:37 PM »
I want to read some cleverly built magic book. Might be high or low (high preferrable). Any suggestions?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12727 on: August 27, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
I want to read some cleverly built magic book. Might be high or low (high preferrable). Any suggestions?
Do you mean with a tech, almost scientific, magic system?

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »

Sanderson? He likes his magic systems he goes on and on about them  in his novels and you might even get a interesting plot too  if you are lucky ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:43:38 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #12729 on: August 27, 2019, 09:49:41 PM »
Do you mean with a tech, almost scientific, magic system?

I do not mind. The writer does not even need to tell me how the magic works. Just involve magic :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12730 on: August 27, 2019, 09:50:20 PM »
you might even get a interesting plot too  if you are lucky ;)

That's not promising ;D (I read his Mistborn though)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12731 on: August 28, 2019, 03:15:13 AM »
you might even get a interesting plot too  if you are lucky ;)

That's not promising ;D (I read his Mistborn though)

Sanderson's got an endless imaginative mind when it came to magic systems, hahah. Most of the systems he wrote are so imaginative I couldn't even comprehend how he'd come up with such an idea, and the implementation in the stories were always amazing as well. I'd say for starters, The Stormlight Archives and Warbreaker are his books with the most interesting magic systems.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12732 on: August 28, 2019, 07:55:15 AM »
Try Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.
I absolute love his colour-based magic system :D

Offline isos81

« Reply #12733 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Try Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.
I absolute love his colour-based magic system :D

Mr too :) I've read that series :)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12734 on: August 29, 2019, 12:08:32 AM »
Started Cold Iron by Miles Cameron very good so far