February 19, 2020, 12:18:20 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1895606 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12660 on: July 29, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »
I started Name of the Wind. This was the comment I read on Goodreads:

"When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour."

- Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, Ch. 12

What happens after 5 years?

What happens after 4 more years ;D

For myself I no longer care , I just discover new authors and stories to read if the sequel did come out I may read it but I’m not fussed anymore along with GRRM mind you saying that I would read Scott Lynch book straight away haha.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12661 on: July 29, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
I finished Silver on the Tree (Dark is Rising #5) by Susan Cooper yesterday. It was pretty good. Not that different from the preceding volumes. It does complete the series and free up quite a big space on my physical TBR shelf (although it doesn't have that many pages, the omnibus edition I was reading was a very chunky hardback.)

I've started Rosewater by Tade Thompson, which just won the Clarke Award, although it has been on my list since I bought it early in the year. I'm not far in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12662 on: July 30, 2019, 05:47:16 AM »
I started Name of the Wind. This was the comment I read on Goodreads:

"When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour."

- Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, Ch. 12

What happens after 5 years?

What happens after 4 more years ;D

For myself I no longer care , I just discover new authors and stories to read if the sequel did come out I may read it but I’m not fussed anymore along with GRRM mind you saying that I would read Scott Lynch book straight away haha.

Hey, Scott posted on his twitter that he had finished Thorns of Emberlain, so he's now out of the "took too damn long writing" writers group, hahah.  :D (Along with Jim Butcher, since I heard he finished Peace Talks as well?)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12663 on: July 30, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
Hey, Scott posted on his twitter that he had finished Thorns of Emberlain, so he's now out of the "took too damn long writing" writers group, hahah.  :D (Along with Jim Butcher, since I heard he finished Peace Talks as well?)

Is it the last book of the GB sequence? I thought it was a trilogy :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: July 30, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »

I think he planned five, so there's still one to go. But after decades, memories fail sometimes, so I admit that I may remember wrong. ;) ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12665 on: July 30, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

I think he planned five, so there's still one to go. But after decades, memories fail sometimes, so I admit that I may remember wrong. ;) ;D

I mean hey, at least he'd finished writing a book, that's much better than Martin at this point for sure. (I'm pretty sure that he'd planned like 7 books in ASOIF, up to Dreams of Spring)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12666 on: July 30, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
Just read that Scott planned 7 books. With this rate, I might not be alive when the 7th book is published ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12667 on: July 30, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »
Caught up in the Riyria euphoria and finished...

Age of Myth (#1 Legends of First Empire)

Loved it. Started very slow that really pushed my patience to limits before picking up pace. After that it's all a roller coaster ride till end...with a nice cliffhanger to top things off.

Diving right into Book 2.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12668 on: July 31, 2019, 03:57:38 AM »
Just read that Scott planned 7 books. With this rate, I might not be alive when the 7th book is published ;D

Oh my.... *scratches his name off the paper* He's back to the lost-hope list then.

I've finished Republic of Thieves. Thought admittedly it wasn't as well-written as Red Seas Under Red Skies, I do personally enjoy this book more. I love the flashback that brought the Sanzas back, and the gang's adventure as they tried to act out The Republic of Thieves. It's definitely the best sub-story I've ever read so far.

Lynch should finally finished his Choir of Knives novella, I would really read the hell out of that. 

Now onto Kings of the Wyld

Offline isos81

« Reply #12669 on: July 31, 2019, 07:12:50 AM »

Interesting read. I'm curious if you'll like it :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12670 on: July 31, 2019, 07:28:02 AM »

Oh my.... *scratches his name off the paper* He's back to the lost-hope list then.

I've finished Republic of Thieves. Thought admittedly it wasn't as well-written as Red Seas Under Red Skies, I do personally enjoy this book more. I love the flashback that brought the Sanzas back, and the gang's adventure as they tried to act out The Republic of Thieves. It's definitely the best sub-story I've ever read so far.

Lynch should finally finished his Choir of Knives novella, I would really read the hell out of that. 

It was originally 7, but they are relatively self contained. Writers plans about how many books in a series do change. Robert Jordan initially pitched The Wheel of Time as a trilogy. George Martin thought the same thing about A Song of Ice and Fire, it quickly became 6 books, then 7, and he has said it may wind up being more if he ever writes another one.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline hexa

« Reply #12671 on: August 01, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »
Shadow Magic by Sarah Chapman. Traditional epic with a few horror scenes. Decent read. Worth a shot

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12672 on: August 02, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
I finished Andrew Caldecott's Wyntertide, book 2 of the series.
It took me quite a while to get into the story as I didn't remember the details/names, this is definitely a book that benefits from being read right after the other one, but once it got going, it was quite interesting.

I feel it does suffer from 'middle book' syndrome, never quite catching up to the surprise and mystery of the first volume, and almost worse, it feels like "let's turn a successful book into a trilogy, so we need story for 2 more books": while book 1 was basically a stand-alone story, with a proper ending, this one compounded on that but didn't exactly finish it, the ending was quite anti-climatic and basically an intro to what I assume will happen in book 3.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12673 on: August 02, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »
The prequels to Riyria books....

Legends of First Empire
Age of Myth - 8/10
Age of Swords - 8/10
Age of War - 6/10
Age of Legends - 5/10

I may not bother with balance 2 books when the get published.

A well written series that is let down by way too many draggy books. War was a soapy drama saved by a stellar climax. Legends is just a drag with no redeeming qualities.

First two books are still awesome. You can read the third just to get to a milestone.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #12674 on: August 03, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
Finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I must say I quite enjoyed the book. I give it a solid 4.5 stars :)

Why did I cut .5 points? Well, first of all, I agree with @Bender that Kvothe is perfect in everything. I like more if the hero is a little bit clumsy like Kip in Lightbringer. And I have to admit that I hated the Denna parts.

I'm starting the second book, Wise Man's Fear.