August 25, 2019, 04:53:49 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1717265 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12645 on: July 22, 2019, 05:37:50 AM »
Oh definitely, but I think you know the series starts with One word kill, right? This is book 2.
And the good thing is that book 3 comes out in November, so hardly any time at all to wait :)

Woot! Yup I'm ordering the first book too. Really hope I liked this one, fingers crossed.  :D

Offline isos81

« Reply #12646 on: July 22, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
Finished Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. It is hard to judge the book. There was a comment on Goodreads about the book that hits Bull's Eye: Telling too much, showing nothing.

I'm not sure if this was the first book of the writer but it could have been built much, much better. I was not bored reading nor was I full of adrenaline :) I think I'll give another chance for book two and decide later. I'm starting Crown of Midnight
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12647 on: July 22, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
Finished Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. It is hard to judge the book. There was a comment on Goodreads about the book that hits Bull's Eye: Telling too much, showing nothing.

I'm not sure if this was the first book of the writer but it could have been built much, much better. I was not bored reading nor was I full of adrenaline :) I think I'll give another chance for book two and decide later. I'm starting Crown of Midnight

This is a weird series, despite the exposition problem I had with book 1, I actually like the prequel, book 1 and 2 much more than book 3 onward to the rest of the series. It kind of turned from an assassin romance novel into  a YA-ish attempt at Lord of the Rings, which really put me off. I practically slogged through the third novel in the series and tried at least half a dozen times to read the fourth book, only to end up closing it and chugging it into the spare laundry basket again.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12648 on: July 22, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »

This is a weird series, despite the exposition problem I had with book 1, I actually like the prequel, book 1 and 2 much more than book 3 onward to the rest of the series. It kind of turned from an assassin romance novel into  a YA-ish attempt at Lord of the Rings, which really put me off. I practically slogged through the third novel in the series and tried at least half a dozen times to read the fourth book, only to end up closing it and chugging it into the spare laundry basket again.

You are right about the assassin romance. It was a liitle bit too typical. I was expecting action and magic but there were more kisses then fighting :)

The book order is somewhat mixed. I'll read only main books. If I DNF the second book, I'll switch to Night Angel.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12649 on: July 22, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »

You are right about the assassin romance. It was a liitle bit too typical. I was expecting action and magic but there were more kisses then fighting :)

The book order is somewhat mixed. I'll read only main books. If I DNF the second book, I'll switch to Night Angel.

If you're looking for action you could switch to Night Angel right now, hahah. It's so much better, with the action scenes and any other things, really.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12650 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
I was thinking about starting Night Angel after Inky's comments on Throne of Glass but then I looked for what people thought about the second book and googled Goodreads. The first review was:

Oh wow, where do I start with this sequel? I wasn't even sure I was going to read it when I recently finished Throne of Glass and found it entertaining but a poor excuse for fantasy. You want to know what Crown of Midnight felt like? It was like the author listened to every piece of criticism I could have thrown at the first book, listened to everything I loved and everything that irritated me... and then wrote a perfect kind of book. The kind I wanted the first one to be; the kind I hadn't dared to hope she might produce in this sequel. There was more action, more nastiness, more character development, more surprises, more complications, more sexy, no love triangle - all of this and a well-placed, never-saw-it-coming twist. Ms Maas, consider me impressed.

That intrgiued me and started the book. So far (%15), it is pretty much the same with the first book but I'll keep reading :)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12651 on: July 24, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »
I finished Freeware by Rudy Rucker last night, book 3 of the cyberpunk Ware series, and probably one of my oldest unread paperbacks. It was pretty oddball, to be honest, and took a bit of a random turn at the end. I was probably right to ignore it for 20 years. There is a fourth book, apparently, but I doubt I'll bother. (I remember liking the first two, but I can't really remember a single thing that happened in them.)

Next is Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper, to complete the Dark is Rising Sequence at last.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12652 on: July 26, 2019, 01:38:45 AM »
Theft of Swords Book 1 in Riyria Revelations

From a very mundane start, it picked up pace and built up the story nicely. Enough twists to keep the plot from being predictable and two protagonists that are exciting to follow. During my earlier attempt I gave up seeing how easily they were suckered into being framed for the murder. Lots of action, nice adventure and plot that keeps you interested...a true page turner.

9/10

Rise of Empire Book 2 in Riyria Revelations

A massive let down from earlier book. Good crisp action continues, but this probably a step down from Book 1 as it fails to advance the plot in any significant manner. The issue of Hadarian as the protector also seems to be insignificant in the plot till now, other than to get him on the journey. Certain events are very contrived and obvious to just move the plot forward.

Plot also seems all over the place jumping from Melengar to Ratibor to Calais to Drumindor with multiple sub plots muddying the field..the books are a hodge podge of events.

The only plus point is development of Arista as a character which again gets diluted by the unnecessary romantic interludes with Emery/Hilfred. Hilfred as a character is completely wasted after getting page time in Book 1 and 2. I was expecting him have more weight.

The twist at the end is unexpected and refreshing and scrambles to save an otherwise mediocre book.

Heir of Novron Book 3 in Riyria Revelations

Even within first few pages, it picks up right similar to book 1. Swift and crisp action. Am half way through this and it somehow has the feel of "Journey to Centre of Earth" complete with tunnels, underground sea, and monsters.

Yet to finish....
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12653 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
Yay, Riyria :D
And I was just thinking, bit of a stretch but I think if you liked the basis of Riyria you might enjoy the Tales of the Ketty Jay too. And the Greatcoats.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: July 26, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »
And I was just thinking, bit of a stretch but I think if you liked the basis of Riyria you might enjoy the Tales of the Ketty Jay too. And the Greatcoats.

Not a fan of either Riyria or Greatcoats but  I do love Ketty Jay.

People who do love Riyria should really read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #12655 on: July 26, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Finished Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. Though it was much better than the first book, it was still below my expectations. The plot was too easy to guess and it was still lacking action. Twilight-like romance parts were boring and I read those parts in fast reading mode :) Still, I'll give it a solid 3 stars. I'm not sure about reading the 3rd book though. Maybe I can read a recap or a review.

I'm planing to start Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Or Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. Or maybe Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Can't decide :(

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: July 26, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »

Not a fan of either Riyria or Greatcoats but  I do love Ketty Jay.

People who do love Riyria should really read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber.

https://www.orbitbooks.net/2011/09/22/the-truth-behind-theft-of-swords-and-fafhrd-and-the-gray-mouser/

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12657 on: July 26, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
Finished Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. Though it was much better than the first book, it was still below my expectations. The plot was too easy to guess and it was still lacking action. Twilight-like romance parts were boring and I read those parts in fast reading mode :) Still, I'll give it a solid 3 stars. I'm not sure about reading the 3rd book though. Maybe I can read a recap or a review.

I'm planing to start Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Or Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. Or maybe Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Can't decide :(

+1 for Night Angel if you wanted lots of action, but if you wanted something totally different the other two choices are beyond amazing. I had finished all these great books and jumping from place to place, haha. 

Offline isos81

« Reply #12658 on: July 26, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »

+1 for Night Angel if you wanted lots of action, but if you wanted something totally different the other two choices are beyond amazing. I had finished all these great books and jumping from place to place, haha.

I think I'm going to start Name of the Wind as I have it as Turkish translation. Too much English reading sometimes gives me headache :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:45:53 PM by isos81 »

Offline isos81

« Reply #12659 on: July 29, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »
I started Name of the Wind. This was the comment I read on Goodreads:

"When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour."

- Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, Ch. 12

What happens after 5 years?

What happens after 4 more years ;D