August 21, 2019, 09:47:15 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1714927 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12630 on: July 16, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
I started reading Fledging by Octavia Butler a couple of days ago, and I'm 2/3 through. I'd almost forgotten that I can speed through a book that actually holds my attention. I've had a real bad streak with book picks lately.

It's a very interesting take on vampires, as a separate species that form symbiotic relationships with human partners, and takes on themes of free will and mental control that I always find interesting.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline isos81

« Reply #12631 on: July 17, 2019, 07:29:02 AM »
Started to Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. People are divided in two about this book. Let's see where I fall :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12632 on: July 17, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »
I finished Ed McDonald's Ravencry, book 2 of the trilogy.
Normally I prefer book 2 to 1, but this time I still think 1 is better - that's not to say that this one was bad, quite the contrary, it's still 4.5 stars!
I loved Ryhalt's emotional and plot development, specifically on his relationships to those closer to him, that really grabbed me, but the 'mystery' and 'what happens next in this world' fell a bit short from the ones developed in book 1.
One thing that Ed writes really well are book endings, this was no exception - so many others leave you wondering if that was really it.
The story finished, but there's just enough unknown to make me really want to read book 3 soon, although it's still a few days (hopefully) until I get it from the library (still showing 'on order').

So I started Mark Lawrence's Limited Wish, book 2 of his latest trilogy.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Bender

« Reply #12633 on: July 18, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »
Gil's All Fright Diner
- A Lee Martinez

Supposed to be like Hitchhiker Guide and Ghostbusters combined, but sadly disappointing.

A friendly duo of a vampire and werewolf decide to help a diner fight off zombies and ghouls and a dark God. Predictable story and not funny dialogue take away from what could have been an entertaining story. Was so bland that I had to skim read.

Don't bother.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12634 on: July 18, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
Gil's All Fright Diner
- A Lee Martinez

Supposed to be like Hitchhiker Guide and Ghostbusters combined, but sadly disappointing.

A friendly duo of a vampire and werewolf decide to help a diner fight off zombies and ghouls and a dark God. Predictable story and not funny dialogue take away from what could have been an entertaining story. Was so bland that I had to skim read.

Don't bother.
Interesting how different people view books. This is one of my all time favourites, although I never would have described it that way. It’s more like Tremors if Earl and Val had been a vampire and a werewolf rather than an odd couple handyman duo.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Bender

« Reply #12635 on: July 18, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
Gil's All Fright Diner
- A Lee Martinez

Don't bother.
Interesting how different people view books. This is one of my all time favourites, although I never would have described it that way. It’s more like Tremors if Earl and Val had been a vampire and a werewolf rather than an odd couple handyman duo.

Earl and Val is actually a very good comparison to the protagonists. In a Ghostbusters scenario rather than in Tremors.

The book actually has a very good premise and good setting for a nice horror comedy. I felt let down by the dialogues and overall lack of pace or weight in the plot.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12636 on: July 19, 2019, 03:33:02 AM »
Gil's All Fright Diner
- A Lee Martinez

Don't bother.

Earl and Val is actually a very good comparison to the protagonists. In a Ghostbusters scenario rather than in Tremors.

The book actually has a very good premise and good setting for a nice horror comedy. I felt let down by the dialogues and overall lack of pace or weight in the plot.
I enjoyed the dialogue. I felt Martinez had it down well, maybe I’ve been exposed to too many American sitcoms. It was such a short novel that I never had the chance to get bogged down. Martinez wrote a whole bunch of books in different scenarios and characters and wrote about 10 before he did a sequel. Monster and Divine Misfortune were both funny, but if you didn’t like Gil’s All Fright Diner then he’s just not for you. I felt it had far more in common with Tremors than Ghostbusters though. There are ghosts in it, but that’s about as far as it goes. I’m not at all sure where the reviewer who used Hutchhikers Guide as a comparison got it from, though.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Bender

« Reply #12637 on: July 19, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
I’m not at all sure where the reviewer who used Hutchhikers Guide as a comparison got it from, though.

Probably from Starsky  8)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12638 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
This is a re-update, I'm reading Republic of Thieves and have surprisingly grown to really like it, quite more than I does Red Sea Under Red Skies. The flashbacks back to when the Gentlemen Bastards were adolescents (including all of the old members) were really amazing, and the political battle of wits between Locke and Sabetha is really something. Although Sabetha's dialogue irked me from time to time but I'm already starting to like this more than the glossary of nautical terms in the last book.

Online Bender

« Reply #12639 on: July 21, 2019, 05:07:31 AM »
Riyria Revelations

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12640 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:10 AM »
^ wahey, I love Roice and Hadrian!

I've finished Mark Lawrence's Limited Wish, and it was quite a good short-ish book. Lots of physics and time travel, nice characters, nothing mysterious as I could guess many of the surprises.

I now started Andrew Caldecott's Wyntertide, book 2 of the series.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12641 on: July 21, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
^ wahey, I love Roice and Hadrian!

I've finished Mark Lawrence's Limited Wish, and it was quite a good short-ish book. Lots of physics and time travel, nice characters, nothing mysterious as I could guess many of the surprises.

I'm planning to order Limited Wish sometimes soon, would you recommend the book, Scarlet?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12642 on: July 21, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
Oh definitely, but I think you know the series starts with One word kill, right? This is book 2.
And the good thing is that book 3 comes out in November, so hardly any time at all to wait :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: July 21, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »

I started Rotherweird this morning. Completely different to what I normally read, but has a promising first few chapters.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12644 on: July 21, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
Yes, that's what I thought too. I'd heard about it, then found it on a charity shop and really liked it, so now bought book 2.