August 25, 2019, 04:55:06 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1717268 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12615 on: July 10, 2019, 07:16:08 AM »
I just started Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch and even though I didn't have the expectation I had of the series when I had read the second Gentleman Bastards, it's still much better than most other novels in my TBR pile.
It’s still a damn good book, but imo, not as good as the two that preceded it.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12616 on: July 10, 2019, 04:07:20 PM »
Starting Here be Dragons on Bea's recommendation.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12617 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »
Just finished Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn. His first novel. Reasonably enjoyable action SF, featuring guerilla super-soldiers/ninjas in a conquered human federation. This continues my foolish mission to read a book with Black in the title every month. This was a last-minute change of plan, and I might have been better off reading a non-spec-fic book this month.

Next up is going to be Poison by Sarah Pinborough. I picked up the omnibus of fairy-tale retellings at a charity shop recently and this is the first one. This is for the Reddit bingo, and is another change of plan. I had other ideas for the Retelling square, but I saw this and thought it would be perfect.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12618 on: July 11, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
Just finished Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn. His first novel. Reasonably enjoyable action SF, featuring guerilla super-soldiers/ninjas in a conquered human federation. This continues my foolish mission to read a book with Black in the title every month. This was a last-minute change of plan, and I might have been better off reading a non-spec-fic book this month.

Next up is going to be Poison by Sarah Pinborough. I picked up the omnibus of fairy-tale retellings at a charity shop recently and this is the first one. This is for the Reddit bingo, and is another change of plan. I had other ideas for the Retelling square, but I saw this and thought it would be perfect.
It’s actually a very good series. More Angela Carter than Walt Disney.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #12619 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Finished Silverthorne and started Darkness at Sethanon
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12620 on: July 11, 2019, 11:25:31 PM »
Comedic Fantasy! I don't recall reading any in this sub genre.
@Bender, a recc in that genre is David MacPherson with Here be dragons. It's a super book and he's also a forum member, our own @OnlyOneHighlander (where are you, I miss your stories!)

Halfway through it and I'm thoroughly impressed. The intelligence in the quips and imagination behind the setting is just fantastic. Reminds me a bit of Terry Pratchett. Loving it so far....

@OnlyOneHighlander you have a new fan here.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12621 on: July 13, 2019, 12:05:34 AM »
Here Be Dragons
- David P MacPherson

As good as any of Terry Pratchett and that's not something I'd say easily.

A extremely intelligent and funny roller coaster of a novel, that'll hook you from page 1 and won't let you leave till the finish. Action, adventure ever mixed with humor fills the pages, making a fantastic read.

It turns all usual fantasy tropes on its head and you find yourself just letting go and enjoying the ride.

Definitely recommended.

9/10

Thanks @ScarletBea for the recommendation. Absolute blast to read this.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12622 on: July 13, 2019, 07:10:55 AM »
Here Be Dragons
- David P MacPherson

As good as any of Terry Pratchett and that's not something I'd say easily.

A extremely intelligent and funny roller coaster of a novel, that'll hook you from page 1 and won't let you leave till the finish. Action, adventure ever mixed with humor fills the pages, making a fantastic read.

It turns all usual fantasy tropes on its head and you find yourself just letting go and enjoying the ride.

Definitely recommended.

9/10

Thanks @ScarletBea for the recommendation. Absolute blast to read this.

Is it a standalone book or a series?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12623 on: July 13, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
Isos, I think it's a standalone.
At least it definitely works like one, even if eventually he writes more in that world.

And Bender, you're very welcome - I really enjoyed that book, so I was happy to recommend it :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Rostum

« Reply #12624 on: July 14, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »
Finished God of Broken Things. more fluid than the first book in style

Spoiler for Hiden:
and the ending caught me out, twice.

started This book is full of spiders

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12625 on: July 15, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »
I finished Poison. Very entertaining. Also short. I'm going to try to fit the other two in sooner rather than later.

After a quick Agatha Christie (The Pale Horse), I've now started Into the Labyrinth by John Bierce, my latest KOLL loan. This is another short book, and I don't think it's going to hold me up for long. It's a magic school book, which I always tend to enjoy.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12626 on: July 15, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »
Past Tense - Latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12627 on: July 15, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »
Finished The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman, the 4th book in the Invisible Library series. I enjoy them heaps and am looking forward to The Mortal Word, which is the last book (so far?).

The books have a strong female lead, lots of page turning action, a creative magic system based on making the world do what you say (better be specific in what you want to happen), dragons vs fae, lots of politicking and intrigue, a Sherlock-Holmesesque-detective, alternate worlds and creative troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:56:32 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12628 on: July 16, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
Finished Darkness at Sethanon (Last book of The Riftwar Saga).

I'm thinking about starting to The Night Angel or Throne of Glass. Could not decide yet :)

Offline Bender

« Reply #12629 on: July 16, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
Past Tense - Latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

Meh and uninspiring read. Now back to fantasy.