November 25, 2020, 01:58:36 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2102454 times)

Offline isos81

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12600 on: June 28, 2019, 07:23:03 AM »
I have been reading Magician: Apprentice for a while (%25). I can't get into the book as much as I wanted to. Maybe it's because the book goes in a slow pace or maybe it feels like childish. Should I continue or drop it? Does it get any better?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Peat

« Reply #12601 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »
I have been reading Magician: Apprentice for a while (%25). I can't get into the book as much as I wanted to. Maybe it's because the book goes in a slow pace or maybe it feels like childish. Should I continue or drop it? Does it get any better?

Is what it is - if you're not enjoying it, I wouldn't continue.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #12602 on: June 28, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

Is this the first half of Magician by Everybody Loves Raymond Feist?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline isos81

« Reply #12603 on: June 28, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »

Is this the first half of Magician by Everybody Loves Raymond Feist?

Exactly :) But I have to admit that I liked his older brother more :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #12604 on: June 29, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
Foxglove Summer turned out to be the best Peter Grant book yet. The series had a slightly bumpy start, but this is more like what I was hoping for. Although I do have one minor niggle:

Spoiler for Hiden:
They find a freshly shorn sheep.

In August.

What kind of farmer shears in August???
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #12605 on: July 01, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »

I've finished Magician: Apprentice. I continued reading the second half of the book in English. That was much better. I think the translation aimed kids more than the adults. That was why I did not like the first half I guess. I'll continue reading the books :)

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #12606 on: July 01, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
Finished The Dark Defilies and the trilogy by Richard Morgan. Cerebral Grimdark fantasy with clever and interesting characters in a strange and nasty world.

Read the October Man in a single serving today a nice little novella. Utterly devoid of Peter Grant.

Then onto the God of Broken Things which is off to a good and confident start.

Still reading Nemisis Games on Kindle and will read all of these.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12607 on: July 04, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
I finished Blackwing by @EdMcDonald_Blackwing, and it really deserves all the accolades it got, what a great book!
It's a mixture of very novel ideas/world with 'comfortable' characters, very well written and a super twisty ending.

Like a few of my recent reads, it's fantasy with a bit of steampunk, by which I mean a quasi-scientific technology in a secondary world based on armies, and it really works.

As expected, I really liked the fact that the MC is a 40-year-old , with experience under his belt: I can easily picture Ryhalt and Edrin (from @CameronJohnston's books) sitting together in a bar, chatting and drinking, they'd be firm friends! ;D
And I loved Ezabeth's character, I do hope we'll hear a lot more from her (no spoilers!)

I'm going to start book 2 tonight and put a request for my library to get the hardcover of book 3 (because, you know, consistency in my shelves and I can't wait to read it only when I buy the paperback hehe)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #12608 on: July 08, 2019, 07:40:18 AM »
Finished Magician (Book 2), started Silverthorn

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #12609 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »

You stuck with it then?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #12610 on: July 08, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »

You stuck with it then?

Yes, it got better and I found that the translation was the main problem. The translator aimed kids rather than adults.

Online Bender

« Reply #12611 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »

You stuck with it then?

Yes, it got better and I found that the translation was the main problem. The translator aimed kids rather than adults.

Just curious...why are you translating? Your English is pretty good here.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #12612 on: July 08, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »

You stuck with it then?

Just curious...why are you translating? Your English is pretty good here.

I've read most fantasy books in English (mainly because there was no translation) including Mistborn, First Law, WoT, Malazan etc. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and reading in Turkish takes that overload off me.

But this time I might face translation problems. The translation might not reflect what the original lines tell. This was what happened in Riftwar. Translator aimed kids and translated the books according to the kids (The book felt childish and that was why I tried English)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #12613 on: July 09, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »
Reading The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. One of the few parts of the old Star Wars EU I haven't read before. It's not quite up there with my favourites, but it's nice to see the old favourites back again.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12614 on: July 10, 2019, 03:58:52 AM »
I just started Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch and even though I didn't have the expectation I had of the series when I had read the second Gentleman Bastards, it's still much better than most other novels in my TBR pile.