July 22, 2019, 12:38:46 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1692800 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12585 on: June 18, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
Stiehl Assassin was one of Brooks' best books in years. Absolutely loved it.

I definitely need to get back to those! I've read the books in the previous to this series (Defenders of Shannara) and enjoyed it, though not quite as much as the previous series. I also have Street Freaks (Brooks' new scifi) on my radar. I appreciate the head's up that the new series is good.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12586 on: June 19, 2019, 01:33:07 AM »
Just finished Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

A YA story about humans stranded in different planet facing a continuous alien attack that will lead to their extinction. Story is about the daughter of a hero turned coward and her redemption.

Though written tautly, book suffers from a very superficial story which doesn't hold to much scrutiny. Logic needs a bit of rest to enjoy this.

5/10
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12587 on: June 19, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
I just finished Changes and finally understood why everyone called it the crowning achievement of the Dresden files. The gigantic clashes of power at the enemy's stronghold and the ultimate ending and sacrifice was epic beyond words. As the title suggest, there have been numerous, humongous changes to Harry Dresden's life, and I guessed that we'd be reading a slightly different version of his journey from this book onward.   8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12588 on: June 19, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
I'm currently reading Madeleine Miller's Circe.
I'm still a bit on the fence about it, as for the first 100 pages it almost feels like a collection of short stories (events), not a proper consistent plot. Let's see if it changes soon...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: June 20, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
Keep going, it all comes together. That was my favourite book last year. Do hope you like it. ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: June 21, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »
Halfway through Justin Call's Master of Sorrows, which I've been meaning to read for almost a year. It's a strong book, but not blowing me away. It reminds me a lot of Name of the Wind, in that it's not doing anything new, but it's doing the old in a nice way.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12591 on: June 21, 2019, 07:25:02 PM »
Finished 16 Ways to defend a walled City, ok but an abrupt and unsatisfying ending. Started book 27 of the Expanse Nemisis Games or somesuch.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12592 on: June 22, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
Finished Emperor of Thorns and started Riftwar saga because basically I needed more magic and it was translated into Turkish :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12593 on: June 24, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »
Some Louis L' Amour westerns as a break...

Cowboys rock!
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12594 on: June 24, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »
Finished the Troupe, which was very good and started Masked City, which is the second book in the Invisible Library series.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12595 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:24 PM »
Finished Black Sun Rising by C S Friedman. Honestly, I found it a bit of a slog, but I think it was me rather than the book. It's quite wordy, and I just wasn't able to maintain concentration early on. Interesting ideas, though.

Next is Planetfall by Emma Newman.

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #12596 on: June 25, 2019, 11:45:26 PM »
Finally had time to finish Amberlough. While I didn't like one thing one of the main characters did (but can understand his reasoning), I enjoyed the story overall. And hopefully when I make it to the library next the next book will be available.

Now I've started Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler, which I admit I picked up at the library the other week on a whim. I've never heard anything good or bad about it before, that I can remember, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12597 on: June 26, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
I finished Madeline Miller's Circe, and although I didn't find it the super book that everybody seems to be raving about, I did enjoy it and it got much better from about halfway through.
However, I'm not sure if my "half knowledge" of the story (recognising certain names and events, having no idea about what'll happen with others, etc) was a hindrance or an advantage, as so many times I just thought "oh no, another name/event drop!"

I've now started Ed McDonald's Blackwing, and it's really intriguing, I can't wait to read more and learn more about this world.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #12598 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
Finished Emperor of Thorns and started Riftwar saga because basically I needed more magic and it was translated into Turkish :)

I did not like the translation. I felt like it was a book for teens. I wanna try English too see if the problem was in translation or not. Any hints?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: June 26, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
Back to Peter Grant with Foxglove Summer. He's leaving London behind, so I already have high hopes.