June 19, 2019, 05:01:13 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1659039 times)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12570 on: June 10, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »
I'm about to start The Stiehl Assassin. They have become repetitive at times, but it's still strange to think there's only two more Shannara books.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12571 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
started The Dark Defiles the last in Richard Morgans Trilogy and 16 Ways to Defend A Walled City by KJ Parker on Kindle.

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #12572 on: June 11, 2019, 07:20:34 PM »
Picked up Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly from the library last week. Not my usual kind of read, but I'm enjoying it enough I'll probably borrow the second book, Armistice, from the library later.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12573 on: June 11, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
Started R.J.Bennett's The Troupe today. Promising start!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

« Reply #12574 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
Finished King of Thorns, started Emperor of Thorns. King was much better than the Prince but then I realized, Prince was Mark's first ever book. It's only natural he gets better in time :)
Currently Reading: Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12575 on: June 12, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
Finished Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee. Very enjoyable. I love the fact that it's total nonsense, but somehow still works. The stakes still seem to make sense.

Next is my crime break, Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie, then I'm thinking Black Sun Rising by C S Friedman. This was one of the books I particularly had in mind when I decided I was going to read a book with Black in the title every month, along with Blackwing (March), Black Wolves (April) and The Black Prism (not read yet).

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12576 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »
Picked up Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly from the library last week. Not my usual kind of read, but I'm enjoying it enough I'll probably borrow the second book, Armistice, from the library later.
The conclusion: Amnesty, is also out. Excellent series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #12577 on: June 13, 2019, 03:40:33 AM »
My local library has a copy of Amnesty as well, which I'll probably also read too unless Armistice some how disappoints me. Which feels unlikely given how much I'm enjoying Amberlough.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12578 on: June 13, 2019, 07:24:08 AM »
My local library has a copy of Amnesty as well, which I'll probably also read too unless Armistice some how disappoints me. Which feels unlikely given how much I'm enjoying Amberlough.
I doubt that it will disappoint if you are liking Amberlough

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: June 15, 2019, 05:36:49 PM »
Stiehl Assassin was one of Brooks' best books in years. Absolutely loved it.

Now I'm heading back in to Peter Grant territory with Broken Homes. I've got the rest of the series on my windowsill including October Man now. Hopefully I can get up to date in time for False Values. Even though I've had a few issues with the series, there's no denying it's addictive reading.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12580 on: June 16, 2019, 01:45:26 AM »
Stiehl Assassin was one of Brooks' best books in years. Absolutely loved it.

Now I'm heading back in to Peter Grant territory with Broken Homes. I've got the rest of the series on my windowsill including October Man now. Hopefully I can get up to date in time for False Values. Even though I've had a few issues with the series, there's no denying it's addictive reading.
I read October Man in a day. It’s a novella. Slightly different direction for the series, although I think it’s only an interlude. Highly enjoyable addition, though.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12581 on: June 16, 2019, 05:32:08 AM »
I'm reading Changes, the twelve book in the Dresden Files series. After such a long journey that we the readers have come through with Harry Dresden, I'd already got attached to his battered Blue Beetle, his dingy home and underground lab, and all the routine things in his life. It's a hard feeling to swallow that after this book, things are changing to a point of no coming back now. As some people had said, I'm going to miss the villain-of the week Dresden with all the things we've grown to love.  :'(

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12582 on: June 16, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
I'm reading Changes, the twelve book in the Dresden Files series. After such a long journey that we the readers have come through with Harry Dresden, I'd already got attached to his battered Blue Beetle, his dingy home and underground lab, and all the routine things in his life. It's a hard feeling to swallow that after this book, things are changing to a point of no coming back now. As some people had said, I'm going to miss the villain-of the week Dresden with all the things we've grown to love.  :'(
I still think Changes was the most epic of the 15 novels out this far.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12583 on: June 16, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
Changes is the series' crowing achievement to date. Feel like the books afterwards have suffered undue criticism in comparison.

Currently reading the Relic Guild by Edward Cox. Fun premise, good action, workmanlike prose - but its suffering from a split timeline and the current one is interesting, but the past one isn't selling itself to me - I don't think I spent enough time with the characters to be properly interested in younger them just because, and that's all the set up for it Cox gives. Shame.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12584 on: June 16, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
I've just finished @CameronJohnston 's book 2, God of broken things, and it is SO GOOD!
The last 50-odd pages are super! The plot, adventures, the characters, so human and normal and accessible, despite all the magic and non-human stuff. I want to sit somewhere with Edrin and Eva and Layla (note: I wish we'd seen more of her in this book...) and just chat the day away, I'm sure it would be fab ;D

I think we can really see your progression in writing from the first book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, making your first person POV die and suddenly we change to another 1st POV was really surprising!! And then back to him, super surprising, but perfectly aligned with everything we knew about him
- I loved the ending :D

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was waiting for something to go wrong with the Free Towns Alliance army, but I thought it would be that they'd never arrive. When they did I thought I was seeing too much conspiracy, and it was actually quite a surprise when they turned!!

I think where you lost me a bit was with the whole
Spoiler for Hiden:
ogarim origin story. It was quite apt that Edrin ends up really confused and with a headache trying to make sense of it all, because that's what happened to me, hehe

And I loved the badge: "a god. Yes, really"  ;D ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams