May 25, 2019, 02:28:40 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1630333 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12510 on: May 12, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »
I'm 70 pages into 'Darksoul' and talk about grimdark... I think there was one or two page of a slightly positive slant... (yes, I knew what I was getting into, hehe)
@AnnaStephens I hate you :'( :'( (I'm on page 164 of the paperback, but I bet you knew what I meant anyway)
Hate  :'( you :'(

Edit:
Spoiler for Hiden:
ok, you kinda redeemed yourself later. A bit. I'm still waiting to see what happens... :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:55:54 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #12511 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
Finished Kings of the Wyld.

Loved the world and writing style, but not the simplistic plot. The lighter tone is mixed exceptionally well with poignant and heavy stuff. Delightful.

The characters are etched really well, but none of them make a lasting impression. There is a distinct lack of depth in the book despite having good material however the author has chosen a lighter way of handling things.

Great adventure book.

6/10.

Wow, you are fast, I'm only halfway through the book. I totally agree with you, simple plot but excellent world. I needed something like this :)

I'll give a 7/10 (did not finish the book yet tho)
Currently Reading: Bloody Rose
---
Read: Kings of the Wyld

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #12512 on: May 13, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
I'm 70 pages into 'Darksoul' and talk about grimdark... I think there was one or two page of a slightly positive slant... (yes, I knew what I was getting into, hehe)
@AnnaStephens I hate you :'( :'( (I'm on page 164 of the paperback, but I bet you knew what I meant anyway)

Edit:
Spoiler for Hiden:
ok, you kinda redeemed yourself later. A bit. I'm still waiting to see what happens... :P

Oh, hi Bea!! *maniacal laughter*

I'd apologise but, you know, it had to be done... but if that rocked your world, you are NOT READY for the last book...  :'( :'( :'(

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12513 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »

Edit:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Oh, hi Bea!! *maniacal laughter*

I'd apologise but, you know, it had to be done... but if that rocked your world, you are NOT READY for the last book...  :'( :'( :'(
:o worse than that? :'(
I think it was worse because of that lovely amazing *all the feelings* chapter just before :D

When is it coming out? I'll ask my library to order it, they already have the first 2 (sorry, I normally just buy the paperbacks)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12514 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
I finished Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold. To be honest, it was pretty thin, and a fairly minor addition to the Vorkosigan saga. A mild romance with not much happening.

Then I read Ruthless Magic by Megan Crewe, which is FF's finalist for the SPFBO. I really enjoyed it. It was pretty tropey YA, although thankfully without the obligatory love triangle, but it was solidly written and exciting. I finished it in two days. It's an alternative-modern-day tale of young magicians trying to avoid losing their magic by taking the Exam, one of those dangerous contests that all YA books have to have since the Hunger Games. I assume its relatively low scoring in the contest is mainly down to its genre and setting.

On to a murder mystery break now, and then I'm not sure what's after that.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12515 on: May 13, 2019, 01:36:27 PM »
I finished Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold. To be honest, it was pretty thin, and a fairly minor addition to the Vorkosigan saga. A mild romance with not much happening.

Yes, this is one of the weakest in the series.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12516 on: May 13, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
I'm dipping between books

The Imaginary Corpse by Tyler Hayes is a kinda weird mix of Inception and Toy Story; all about a toy triceratops detective in a dream world made up of really loved ideas, trying to find a murderer that can do the impossible and  can kill them for good.

The idea is great but something's not gripping me and that's more than just the use of Present Tense

Also reading Last First Snow by Max Gladstone, which is beautiful and interesting and not that gripping either and I'm not sure why.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bender

« Reply #12517 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
Soon I will be invincible - Austin Grossman

I blame @dhreiss and his addiction Chronicles of Fid to have pulled me into this sub-genre.  8)
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12518 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:41 AM »
Soon I will be invincible - Austin Grossman

I blame @dhreiss and his addiction Chronicles of Fid to have pulled me into this sub-genre.  8)
Loved that book. It's a growing sub genre, so you'll have plenty to keep yourself occupied. Try Peter Clines' Ex series. Superheroes and zombies. Can it get any better than that?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline dhreiss

« Reply #12519 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:14 AM »
I'm currently reading N.K. Jemisin's "The Fifth Season".

(And re: superheroic prose...I'd also recommend Casey Glanders' "Gailsone" series, and Matthew Phillion's "Indestructibles" series.)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #12520 on: May 14, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »
I'm finding The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding a really interesting read. It simultaneously feels like classic old-school quest fantasy of the early 90s complete with some YA overtones, and yet also modern and grim and morally grey too. 

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #12521 on: May 15, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
I've recently finished Stange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, which I really enjoyed!

Currently reading An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, which I am not liking so much. Maybe too YA for me.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:31 PM »
I'm reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's Cage of Souls. It's one of the weirdest books I've read in a long time. Sort of Dying Earth with a mix of Sci-Fi and fantasy. And there's only been one spider so far. ;)

It's also my 50th book of the year.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12523 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
I just finished Kings of the Wyld. Wyld was a light, action oriented and fun book to read. I loved all those monsters and bunny ears :) What I disliked is the simple plot tbh. I'm rating this as 7/10 :)

Now I'm reading the second book, Bloody Rose.
Currently Reading: Bloody Rose
---
Read: Kings of the Wyld

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12524 on: May 16, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
Really enjoyed Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice, so I immediately started Royal Assassin!

I remember reading Farseer (first 3 books). It was not bad but not that great to continue reading the following books. I would give it a solid 6.5 / 10 :)

I do not know the reason why I could not get into Farseer's world, maybe I had high hopes and they were not met. Eventually, it was not a waste of time but I do not recommend it to anybody :)

I'm about halfway through Royal Assassin. It is exactly like the first book...lots of really good side stories, but a lack of a strong central plot. Didn't mind it in the first book, but the length of this one is making it a bit more difficult to appreciate. Still great, though. I think the wolf is my favorite character?!