June 26, 2019, 09:45:54 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1662713 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12465 on: April 23, 2019, 07:23:44 AM »
Finally got to some of the recommendations from people here.

Firstly, read Swordspoint on the recommendation of @cupiscent and absolutely loved it. Only took me a few days (and a good chunk of a flight) to get through. Totally recommend it; it has a great mystery running through it, as well as fast paced action along with a sweet slice of romance.

Currently just over halfway through A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, suggested by @J.R. Darewood and it is incredible! This is a book I feel I've been looking for for a long time. It needs to be a TV series, or a movie at least. I think the world is ready for it  :)
There's a sequel to A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, it's called The Ladies Guide to Petticoats and Piracy. Tremontaine is a series of short works, a couple written by Ellen Kushner herself, in and around the world Swordspoint was set in.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12466 on: April 23, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »
Am on a business trip and forgot Foundryside. So I bought King of Ashes, the first in Raymond E. Feist's new saga.
Am curious how I'll like it, I loved his earlier books but haven't read the last 2-4 of his Midkemia saga(s) because it got a bit too wild.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #12467 on: April 24, 2019, 12:46:20 AM »
Firstly, read Swordspoint on the recommendation of @cupiscent and absolutely loved it. Only took me a few days (and a good chunk of a flight) to get through. Totally recommend it; it has a great mystery running through it, as well as fast paced action along with a sweet slice of romance.

Currently just over halfway through A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, suggested by @J.R. Darewood and it is incredible! This is a book I feel I've been looking for for a long time. It needs to be a TV series, or a movie at least. I think the world is ready for it  :)

Yay! And I love Gentleman's Guide as well, so I'm absolutely thrilled to hear all of this. :D A TV series of it would be such a delight, I am On Board!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12468 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46:38 AM »
Now I'm getting interested in the Gentleman thingy book. Will give it a whirl after giving feedback on Eyria.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #12469 on: April 24, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
Finally got to some of the recommendations from people here.

There's a sequel to A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, it's called The Ladies Guide to Petticoats and Piracy. Tremontaine is a series of short works, a couple written by Ellen Kushner herself, in and around the world Swordspoint was set in.

I finished GG today, flew through to the end  ;D

Ladies Guide is definitely on the list TBR soon (And I'll be picking up a Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky, a novella following up on AGGTVAV, as soon as it's out this Autumn!)  :)

Will also look into the Tremotaine books too, thanks!
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12470 on: April 24, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »
Those books sound a bit like Gail Carriger's books (Etiquette and Espionage, etc.) are they similarly funny? I think @Elfy read those too and Cupi maybe too?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12471 on: April 25, 2019, 01:25:41 AM »
Those books sound a bit like Gail Carriger's books (Etiquette and Espionage, etc.) are they similarly funny? I think @Elfy read those too and Cupi maybe too?
I haven’t read the Mackenzi Lee’s, @Lejays17 has, from what she told me I don’t think they have a lot in common with Gail’s books apart from the alliterative titles.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #12472 on: April 25, 2019, 01:48:39 AM »

Both Carriger and Lee have a similar sort of rompy historical fun approach, but Lee has a more serious character introspection vibe (her characters are Dealing With Their Shit), whereas the Carriger is more frothy hijinks.

Offline Skip

« Reply #12473 on: April 25, 2019, 05:04:34 AM »
Currently reading Medieval Maritime Warfare which is about as dull as you are picturing it, but which at least gave me some background on a pirate with the great name of Henry the Fisherman. I'm headed out on a big trip and have Tchaikovsky's Children of Time on tap, along with the next installment of The Expanse. I'm also about halfway through another O'Brian work, The Reverse of the Medal.
Visit Altearth

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12474 on: April 25, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »
Thanks, both of you!

Halfway through King of Ashes and I'm enjoying it. It feels darker but thinking back at Midkemia/Serpent war/... it probably isn't, maybe he just changed his tone.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12475 on: April 27, 2019, 04:58:02 PM »
Midkemia started and ended well imo. The books in between we're kind of meh.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12476 on: April 28, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
I finished book 2, The bear and the serpent, and I've now started book 3, The hyena and the hawk.
This is really a great trilogy, and I can't wait to know the rest of the plot!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: April 28, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »
I finished book 2, The bear and the serpent, and I've now started book 3, The hyena and the hawk.

You've still got The Meerkat and the Giraffe to read.

The Black Prince by Adam Roberts.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Peat

« Reply #12478 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Everything is better than Meerkats.

Thanks, both of you!

Halfway through King of Ashes and I'm enjoying it. It feels darker but thinking back at Midkemia/Serpent war/... it probably isn't, maybe he just changed his tone.

I haven't read King of Ashes yet - considered getting it while its cheap on kindle and just feeling a little burnt by how lackadaisical the end of Midkemia was - but I think this could be a bit of both. Yes, Feist had some messed up stuff in the Midkemia cycle that was disguised by a light tone and a lot of barely on camera stuff, but there's not all that much of it. And most of it is in Shadow of a Demon Queen. Most of his dark stuff is traumatic relationships and tbh, I'd love to get a time line of his divorce and his writing-

Hmm. Right, going from Google, Feist divorced in 2000.

Prior to that, the most toxic romantic relationships in Midkemia were all about Roo Avery, the phenomenally greedy workaholic with ego issues who married for money... but that still ended with him being happy with his wife. William had some not-at-all-plot-motivational heartache in those bloody video game boks.

After this... I don't think there's one straight forwards happy romantic relationship introduced until right in the end he goes for the fairytale romances of the Crydee sons as he brings the cycle full close. And he retcons one of the ones he had. Oh no, tell a lie, Caleb has one.

I'm just speculating but it seems to fit that his view of the world changed.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12479 on: April 28, 2019, 10:04:05 PM »

You've still got The Meerkat and the Giraffe to read.
For a second there, I wondered if there were actually 4 books in the series ::) :-[ >:( ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams