May 25, 2019, 02:17:28 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1630327 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12450 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
Finished Holy Sister. Great conclusion to the trilogy. :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
"It's true, I haven't stepped on the path in over twenty years. That's because in all those years, I never left it." Holy guacamole! What a scene!

Next will likely be Foundryside or the Invisible Library.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Peat

« Reply #12451 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
I've finished Adrian Tchaikovski's The tiger and the wolf, and I really enjoyed it.

The premise, of having a 'spirit animal' that you can Step into (transform) is super interesting, and worked in a way in the plot that not only makes perfect sense, but also eliminates the obvious niggles we could have with such an option.
I think Hesprec was my favourite character!

Spoiler for Hiden:
And I loved the idea of having 2 competing souls inside you, each showing different traits, but instead of choosing one over the other, she got a hybrid of of the two, bigger than either. It's a good metaphor for when we have to make decisions about ourselves, I think :)

I've now started book 2 of the trilogy, The bear and the serpent.

Sweet! I will step up my attempts to get my hands on this.

As for me, I'm floating between the following three books as I wait for something to command my attention entirely -

Redemption's Blade - Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Killing Moon - NK Jemisin
Last First Snow - Max Gladstone

So far my editing is winning, with Last First Snow the runner-up, with The Killing Moon a little behind. Redemption's Blade is lagging a fair amount - its not bad, but it feels a bit humdrum compared to the rest.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12452 on: April 15, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
Finished Holy Sister. Great conclusion to the trilogy. :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
"It's true, I haven't stepped on the path in over twenty years. That's because in all those years, I never left it." Holy guacamole! What a scene!
Agree 100% - I was speechless at that scene :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

« Reply #12453 on: April 15, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »
Finished Holy Sister.

A good conclusion but ultimately feel short of expectations.

That Sister Pan moment was the only event, I really enjoyed in the whole book.

Probably the weakest book of the trilogy.

6/10.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't like the over emphasis on Abbess Glass long game. They made it like she was some Grand Master moving pawns and nobody else's decision actually matters. The 'promises' to Glass we're the sole driver for the entire story. And that too after she died in between books.

The death of Lano Tacsis and Noi Guin was the biggest let down. After snippets in previous two books alluding to that battle...Nona runs and drowns them? Where's the epic fight? Oh, my! So disappointed.

Ara, Clera, Zole, Joeli, Markus, ex-HP Jacob, the Arachons...the entire supporting cast didn't feature at all and had minimal throwaway supporting role. They made Nona the sole superstar and wasted the rest of the cast. Even the feared Queen Adoma and her Fist barely featured before getting wiped out.

And why is Nona Mistress Blade at the end? Isn't that a Red Sister role? Surely they haven't run out of all red sisters.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:41:07 PM by Bender »
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12454 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
I finished Black Wolves. I really enjoyed it - it was interesting to see how the world of the Crossroads trilogy had changed into this, and it felt logical. I wonder how book 2 is going. Then again, it's a long time since I read the Crossroads books and I didn't have too much trouble remembering what had happened.

Now I can start Holy Sister like, apparently, everyone else in the forum. It's rare for me to read two fantasy books back-to-back, but this one's a library book and I've already had it for a week.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12455 on: April 16, 2019, 08:28:33 PM »
Finished Holy Sister.

A good conclusion but ultimately feel short of expectations.

That Sister Pan moment was the only event, I really enjoyed in the whole book.

Probably the weakest book of the trilogy.

6/10.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't like the over emphasis on Abbess Glass long game. They made it like she was some Grand Master moving pawns and nobody else's decision actually matters. The 'promises' to Glass we're the sole driver for the entire story. And that too after she died in between books.

The death of Lano Tacsis and Noi Guin was the biggest let down. After snippets in previous two books alluding to that battle...Nona runs and drowns them? Where's the epic fight? Oh, my! So disappointed.

Ara, Clera, Zole, Joeli, Markus, ex-HP Jacob, the Arachons...the entire supporting cast didn't feature at all and had minimal throwaway supporting role. They made Nona the sole superstar and wasted the rest of the cast. Even the feared Queen Adoma and her Fist barely featured before getting wiped out.

And why is Nona Mistress Blade at the end? Isn't that a Red Sister role? Surely they haven't run out of all red sisters.
Valid points, I still enjoyed the book. :)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12456 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
I started Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, recommended by a friend. Let's see what happens here.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12457 on: April 19, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
Foundryside by Bennett is a Blast! I'm enjoying it more than his (also very good) City of Stairs/Blades/Miracles.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12458 on: April 19, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
Nice. I've been putting if off after hearing mixed reviews.

Divine Cities was just awesome.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12459 on: April 20, 2019, 09:57:36 PM »
Finished Traitor God by Cameron Johnston.

(+)

Good read. Quite a unique plot and loved the Titans theme specifically...reminded me of Warlords Battlecry, a love I loved in my early years. The concept of gods, ascension, other-worlds, demons etc have been woven into the story brilliantly and absolutely love the world-building. Fascinating, rich, vibrant and full of possibilities.

(-)

The first half crawls at slow pace, but the roller coaster of a second half makes up for it. The writing style also felt different between the halves. First half was like a memoir or a diary of the protagonist, whist the second half felt more like a fantasy novel. Character s are a bit uni-dimensional thought the lead character comes across as smug, self-righteous person who can rationalize his every bad acts, rather than shades of grey flirting between lines of good and evil.

In the end, the 2nd half of the book has made up for the drawbacks in the first half and I have the urge to get right into the next book (which is always a good thing when it comes to trilogies).

Though will probably read Foundryside before moving on to God of Broken Things.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12460 on: April 21, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »
I finished Holy Sister this morning. I enjoyed it, although it left a few questions unanswered. I still haven't read Emperor of Thorns or the Red Queen's War trilogy, but I don't really feel that plotting is Lawrence's strong suit.

Time for my regular Agatha Christie next - I can probably get it done before I go back to work on Tuesday - and then I need to read my KOLL book, The Gods of Men by Barbara Kloss, another SPFBO finalist, because I will lose my chance to borrow a book in April if I don't finish it before the end of the month.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12461 on: April 22, 2019, 01:16:44 AM »
Just realized God of Broken Things isn't available yet...Hmmm.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12462 on: April 22, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
Just realized God of Broken Things isn't available yet...Hmmm.
Nope, only published in June :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12463 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
After being in my TBR pile for a long while, finally starting Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice.

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #12464 on: April 23, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
Finally got to some of the recommendations from people here.

Firstly, read Swordspoint on the recommendation of @cupiscent and absolutely loved it. Only took me a few days (and a good chunk of a flight) to get through. Totally recommend it; it has a great mystery running through it, as well as fast paced action along with a sweet slice of romance.

Currently just over halfway through A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, suggested by @J.R. Darewood and it is incredible! This is a book I feel I've been looking for for a long time. It needs to be a TV series, or a movie at least. I think the world is ready for it  :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...