May 19, 2019, 08:11:37 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1622615 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12390 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
I finished re-reading Lawrence's Red sister yesterday and immediately started Grey sister :D

It did feel a lot better this time, without the weight of expectation/previous trilogies behind it.

Ohmygawd, Grey Sister was fantastic! I finished it last night, after a bit of a marathon reading because I just couldn't put it down. Straight onto Holy Sister :D :D

It almost felt like a mixture between the base of the first Ancestor book (which definitely attracts a whole different kind of readership from the ones who loved the first 2 trilogies) and Mark's other books. It expanded into the world, added a couple more POVs, added politics, stealth and real baddies, while maintaining the amazing friendships, abilities and characters of book 1.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12391 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
@ScarletBea: Read his short story "Bound" first! It takes place between Grey Sister and Holy Sister and is incredibly good.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12392 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »
@ScarletBea: Read his short story "Bound" first! It takes place between Grey Sister and Holy Sister and is incredibly good.
Thanks for the tip! Since it's a short story, I might relax my "no ebooks" rule and get it ;D
(lunchtime task)

I've only read Holy Sister's prologue, so I'm still on time, hehe

Funnily enough, yesterday I was looking at it and thinking of doing that, but today I completely forgot, in my rush to restart :-[

Edit: bought and reading it :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:00:32 PM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12393 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
You've inspired me to give Red Sister a second try, too. Like you, I just came with the Prince of Thorns expectations, and those were some very thorny boots to fill. First, though, I'll be start Philip K. Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch tonight. No idea what it's about.

Still reading that one (a very weird book), but also started listening to Terry Pratchett's Jingo audiobook. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks and rarely listen to any, but Nigel Planer is a phenomenal narrator. And Jingo is a book written for our times. Couldn't think of a more relevant Discworld novel in our current political climate.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12394 on: March 21, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Since it's a short story, I might relax my "no ebooks" rule and get it ;D
(lunchtime task)

I've only read Holy Sister's prologue, so I'm still on time, hehe

Funnily enough, yesterday I was looking at it and thinking of doing that, but today I completely forgot, in my rush to restart :-[

Edit: bought and reading it :D
It was brilliant! And it's got k-i-s-s-i-n-g ;D

Spoiler for Hiden:
I really liked the idea (hint? confirmation of what I was thinking after GS?) that Nona is bi and Ara's gay, hehe, after their reaction to kissing each other and Regol, hehe

Offline Bender

« Reply #12395 on: March 21, 2019, 05:05:39 PM »
I've just started Red Sister after reading comments here. Fingers crossed!
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12396 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
bound is great

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is another book by David Wong and it's far too sensible compared to John Dies at the End.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12397 on: March 22, 2019, 05:14:09 AM »
bound is great

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is another book by David Wong and it's far too sensible compared to John Dies at the End.
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits was fun, but the John books are better.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12398 on: March 24, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
Finished Red Sister and Holy Sister in a binge.

Very nice story...but somehow I'm not able to picture a pre-teen girls doing all that stuff....even as untrained magician warriors...and in next chapter going back to juvenile grudges in classrooms. Quite jarring mix.

Would have preferred the setting to be like a university rather than a school with sufficiently mature cast.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12399 on: March 25, 2019, 12:57:44 AM »
Bound is a smut story ffs!  ;D liked it well, till I realized they were underage. Aaargh. Mark Lawrence should have more discretion.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12400 on: March 25, 2019, 05:19:54 AM »
Smut because there is kissing? I just thought it was sweet. In comparison to GOT which starts with an under age marriage I would say it's fairly tame. I am reminderd of William Goldmans line.

"Hold it! Hold it! What is this? Are you trying to trick me? Where's the sports? Is this a kissing book?"

It's not like it's a subject any teenager anywhere would be at all concerned with. Oh hang on...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12401 on: March 25, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
I'm with Rostum!

Bender, you call it 'smut' because it's got kissing? :o How old are you? 100?

And you can't imagine young girls doing all that? What are you reading, historical fiction? And have you seen the Gymnastics World Championships? Can you imagine those young girls doing that?

Edit: I realise the above sounds very strong, sorry I don't mean it in a bad way, just an "unbelievable" way
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:15:50 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12402 on: March 25, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
I'm with Rostum!

Bender, you call it 'smut' because it's got kissing? :o How old are you? 100?

And you can't imagine young girls doing all that? What are you reading, historical fiction? And have you seen the Gymnastics World Championships? Can you imagine those young girls doing that?

Edit: I realise the above sounds very strong, sorry I don't mean it in a bad way, just an "unbelievable" way

Hahahahah, that's the first time I actually heard Scarlet went all out like that, and it's hilarious.  ;D You should express yourself like this more, Bea!

For the matter at hand, I've read Nevernight which got seriously intimate sex scenes. I didn't really want those in my fantasy (I would've read erotica, otherwise). I advice you to just skip through them like I did, Bender.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12403 on: March 25, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »
So which fantasy books have smut in? Just asking for a friend.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12404 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
I finished Sowing by Angie Grigaliunas a few days ago. It was so-so. It started kind of like a YA dystopia, but seemed like it might be developing a bit more nuance towards the end.

I'm now reading Level Up by Craig Anderson, a LitRPG I picked up for free a short while ago. It's kind of fun, and I think I'm going to blow through it quite quickly. It's about videogame mechanics spilling over into the real world. I was just looking for something quick - and ideally something I acquired this year, since I've been very bad about starting my new books - and this suited me well.