September 20, 2019, 04:58:14 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1740363 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12375 on: March 13, 2019, 03:27:01 PM »
Halfway into Rejoice - A knife to the heart by Steven Erikson.

A alien first contact novel that has no aliens, army or action of any kind. Amazing and refreshing.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: March 13, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
I finished Kellanved's Reach the other day. Suffered in the usual Malazan way of throwing names at me that I had long forgotten the significance of, but otherwise a very strong book. It's nice to have Malazan that's a story not just philosophy.

One minor aside though: I was under the impression it was a trilogy, but the inside jacket says 'continuing' rather than 'concluding', and there's no real resolution. Hopefully this means there's more in the series yet to come.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12377 on: March 14, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
After months of reading The Blade Itself on and off, I finally finished the book. The introduction of various characters are wayyyyy too long in my opinion, but I'm glad that at least Ferro's and Logan's action scenes near the end made up for that. Hoping for more intense action with the next books!

Starting on Before They are Hanged.  :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12378 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
I finished re-reading Lawrence's Red sister yesterday and immediately started Grey sister :D

It did feel a lot better this time, without the weight of expectation/previous trilogies behind it.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12379 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
You've inspired me to give Red Sister a second try, too. Like you, I just came with the Prince of Thorns expectations, and those were some very thorny boots to fill. First, though, I'll be start Philip K. Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch tonight. No idea what it's about.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #12380 on: March 14, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »
Right now, I'm continuing my indie fantasy binge.

I'm currently reading:

Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler. It feels very much like more of a children's story (with two 12-year-old main characters), but I'm enjoying it.

Trial of Stone by Andy Peloquin. Gives me some Brent Weeks vibes, and that's definitely a good thing.

The Silver Sorceress by Alec Hutson. This is the sequel to the excellent first book, The Crimson Queen.

City of Light by Will Wight. It's the final book in the Traveler's Gate trilogy, which is a lot of fun.

Offline Bender

« Reply #12381 on: March 15, 2019, 07:26:14 PM »
Halfway into Rejoice - A knife to the heart by Steven Erikson.

A alien first contact novel that has no aliens, army or action of any kind. Amazing and refreshing.

Just finished this. It's not that often, I find a book that totally blows me away and leaves me speechless, one which gives immense mental satisfaction and yet leaves you screaming for me. I found it in Rejoice. This has instantly claimed the peak of my small sci-fi favourites.

It's like Rosseau and Marx in space. A profound analysis and ruthless taking down of current geopolitical and sociopolitical hurdles caused by old fashion greed of power and wealth and unfettered Capitalism. A book which questions things we take as cornerstones of a modern society and brutally tears down the veil.....all cloaked as a alien contact novel.

I'm privileged to have read this book.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: March 15, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
Wow. The blurb didn't faze me but your review certainly did!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #12383 on: March 16, 2019, 12:23:54 PM »
Wow. The blurb didn't faze me but your review certainly did!

:D

No, it's not a economics book. It's all about reaction of different people (religion/corporations/governments) to an alien who refuses to show itself, helps humanity....and demands that humanity rises above petty politicking and advance as a species. How the current world order tries to accomodate the presence of a all-powerful alien into their own beleif structures. 

Premise of evil aliens, other species who need out help, terraforming Mars and Venus etc keep the sci-fi angle live and in sync with the story.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:25:36 PM by Bender »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12384 on: March 17, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
You've inspired me to give Red Sister a second try, too. Like you, I just came with the Prince of Thorns expectations, and those were some very thorny boots to fill.
@Saraband, you definitely need to do that, and then continue to the other books: Grey Sister moves out "into the world" and it's being amazing :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #12385 on: March 17, 2019, 08:50:01 PM »
You've inspired me to give Red Sister a second try, too. Like you, I just came with the Prince of Thorns expectations, and those were some very thorny boots to fill.
@Saraband, you definitely need to do that, and then continue to the other books: Grey Sister moves out "into the world" and it's being amazing :D

I'm excited to hear that about Grey Sister. My biggest issue with Red Sister was that I would have liked to see less school and more world.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12386 on: March 17, 2019, 11:19:37 PM »
finished The Gutter Prayer a great story with the most original ending

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12387 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
Finished Agent of Change. Wasn't that impressed.

I have now started Sowing by Angie Grigaliunas, which is currently at the foot of the finalists table in the SPFBO. I seem to be reading it fairly quickly, but I'm not sure I'm really enjoying it.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: March 19, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »
Finally finished Kushiel's Dart. Felt like months (probably were, to lazy to check five pages back or so).
Very good, massive book. Doesn't look like it but I guess it has more words than Way of Kings. If BDSM doesn't bother you, I'd recommend it. Intrigue at the court of an alternative world France, a courtesan-spy, Gypsies, Picti Kings and warriors, a "German/viking" barbarian invasion and a stuck up priest who is a blademaster, just to name a few.

Next one will be Kellanved's Reach.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
Of Monsters and Men by Patrick Ness
The Real Powers That Be