April 25, 2019, 05:18:09 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1590256 times)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12300 on: February 04, 2019, 09:43:37 PM »
I started Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey over the weekend!

YES! I promote Brassey's books whenever I can. I adored Skyfarer and it's sequel, Dragon Road. Hoping you dig them as much as I did. :)

I need to read the sequel. I really enjoyed the first one. It kind of felt like reading Final Fantasy XII, and that's not a bad thing.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12301 on: February 05, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »
I need to read the sequel. I really enjoyed the first one. It kind of felt like reading Final Fantasy XII, and that's not a bad thing.

Absolutely! The FF 12 vibe (and for that matter, the FF IV vibe) was incredibly strong with that book. If I had to describe it I'd definitely go with Final Fantasy 12 meets Firefly.

The other thing I really like is that both Skyfarer and Dragon Road each tell a complete story. No need to tread water or set things up for sequels, though I DO want another book.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12302 on: February 05, 2019, 02:44:18 AM »
I started Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey over the weekend!
Snap! I started that this weekend as well.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12303 on: February 05, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »
Going to add one more link since I'm boosting Skyfarer.

If you're curious what the world is like (it has sleek cool airships, floating islands, and badass magical knight military contractors) you can't go wrong with the intro to FF 12. Honestly, I feel like this could be a trailer for a Skyfarer movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpl7P9-B1Ho
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:12:52 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12304 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
The written by Ben Galley, delightfully nasty so far.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12305 on: February 10, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
I just finished Turn Coat (Dresden Files #12?) Pretty sad ending when compared to other books in the series, with Harry losing a lot of his relationship-esque stuff, and the main turn coat of the novel ending up badly as well. As he said, "You can't win them all," I guess.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
I just finished Turn Coat (Dresden Files #12?) Pretty sad ending when compared to other books in the series, with Harry losing a lot of his relationship-esque stuff, and the main turn coat of the novel ending up badly as well. As he said, "You can't win them all," I guess.

Turn Coat was the last Dresden book I genuinely loved. Hopefully you'll get more out of the next few than I did.

I think I might be hitting one  of those -slumps- I've heard people talking about.  :-\ I've been reading and enjoying loads of SF this year, but I'm only on my third fantasy read and it's heading for another 2/5. It's The Gutter Prayer, which I've heard only good things about. But despite having ghouls, Lovecraftian horrors, and a dark and twisted setting, I'm bouncing right off. I think it's down to writing style more than anything else. Suffice to say, if you weren't a fan of Court of Broken Knives, you'll probably want to give this a miss too.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12307 on: February 11, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »

There's a fair few bittersweet endings and Pyrrhic victories from this point on. Personally I think it elevates the series but to each their own.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #12308 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
Finished Skyfarer. So much fun! Can't wait to read the sequel!

In the meantime, I bought the Audible version of Cameron Johnston's The Traitor God! Been looking forward to this.

Online Skip

« Reply #12309 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
Deep in the Expanse. Just started the sixth book, Babylon's Ashes. Easily the best SF I've read in years.

But then I saw Bancroft's new book is out, so I'm also reading The Hod King.

My brain runneth over!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12310 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
I've finished Blood Song. I liked the book overall, especially in training part. Felt like the fantasy portions are quite weak storytelling, though. Not sure if I'd moved onto the next book since I heard the series got progressively worse.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12311 on: February 12, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
I finished Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force #1) by Craig Alanson. It was moderately enjoyable nonsense. It takes a while to become really enjoyable - the best bits involve a character that doesn't turn up until about half way through, and this character is also inconsistently overpowered, so ends up trading some drama for comedy. I also thought this felt longer than it claimed to be - it says it's a little over 250 pages, but it felt like about 400 - which is why it took me longer than I expected to finish it. I might read the next one, I might not.

I've moved on to Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt #2) by Elspeth Cooper. I can't totally remember what happened in book 1, to be honest, but this seems to be following different leads so far. I'm hoping this will be my last book for the reddit fantasy bingo, but that does depend on some mountains turning up.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12312 on: February 12, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
So I picked Shadow's Edge off the floor and forgave Elene and Kylar by skimming the problem chapters made it nearly to the end... and Logan made me throw the book across the room and vow not to finish it.

So I finally got around to reading more of The Blade Itself.  It's really enjoyable, but I also know what happens and I'm not sure I can emotionally invest in a bunch of awful people who I know will continue to be awful and disappointing through the end of the trilogy. If I didn't know what was going to happen, I'd love the Bayaz and Logan chapters.  All the Union stuff is just agonizing, Jezal is somehow more tortuous than Glotka, but they're both pretty sickening.

That made me crave some good old fashioned high fantasy good-and-evil so I picked up A Memory of Light for like the 900th time while sitting on a cozy chair in the Last Bookstore on Sunday.  It's been so long so I reread quite a bit before I got to new stuff.  I'm easily to the halfway point now.  I think it's been long enough that the differences in the characters (and the world itself) don't seem so glaringly painful.  But it *is* weird to be subjected to what amounts to exclusively military fiction after, you know, 15 books of sword and sorcery/political intrigue. I mean the politics is still there... it's just not intriguing. It really just feels like the gamification of story elements and I find myself wanting desperately to skip entire chapters because they are so painfully boring to me. War blah blah blah.  But I didn't find it as painful as the last few times I tried to read it so that's progress!

I've also got Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows sitting on my shelf so i might abandon all these half-read books and read that next.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:33:39 PM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12313 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »
I've moved on to Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt #2) by Elspeth Cooper. I can't totally remember what happened in book 1, to be honest, but this seems to be following different leads so far. I'm hoping this will be my last book for the reddit fantasy bingo, but that does depend on some mountains turning up.
Was the fourth (and last?) part ever published? I need to check. It's been ages since I read those books.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12314 on: February 12, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »
Was the fourth (and last?) part ever published? I need to check. It's been ages since I read those books.
No, she's still writing it. Apparently she's got serious health issues and stopped for a long time, but she's better and back :)
This was another series that I thought was a trilogy until halfway through reading book 3, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams