February 22, 2019, 04:52:16 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1537560 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12270 on: January 16, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »

I've been trying to read Shadow's Edge but about a third of the way in i keep putting the book down b/c it's making me so mad...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Elene was always more of an object than a character, on top of being just the worst female stereotype.  Her transformation from street rat to virginal religious pacifist is not only never really explained, she's just one-note and completely absurd. Her very existence as a character is almost sexist. Then you've got Kylar selling the priceless sword for enough money to repay the people whose home he got burned down and instead spends it all on wedding earrings.  Those 3 chapters just made me cringe so much I think my face is broken and I know they get past this stupidity at some point but I really so disgusted I can't pick up the book any further.

idk maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.  I loved the books, but Elene was a real sore spot in the first book and now she's like a gaping wound in this one.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12271 on: January 16, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »

I've been trying to read Shadow's Edge but about a third of the way in i keep putting the book down b/c it's making me so mad...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Elene was always more of an object than a character, on top of being just the worst female stereotype.  Her transformation from street rat to virginal religious pacifist is not only never really explained, she's just one-note and completely absurd. Her very existence as a character is almost sexist. Then you've got Kylar selling the priceless sword for enough money to repay the people whose home he got burned down and instead spends it all on wedding earrings.  Those 3 chapters just made me cringe so much I think my face is broken and I know they get past this stupidity at some point but I really so disgusted I can't pick up the book any further.

idk maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.  I loved the books, but Elene was a real sore spot in the first book and now she's like a gaping wound in this one.

I fully agree, I really hated how women were portrayed, and the whole relationship evolution, even though I liked the books in general.
If it helps, I found his Lightbringer series A LOT better in that respect (even though he then did something in book 4 that left me really mad - I'm still anxiously waiting for the last book this year).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:14:45 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12272 on: January 16, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I fully agree, I really hated how women were portrayed, and the whole relationship evolution, even though I liked the books in general.
If it helps, I found his Lightbringer series A LOT better in that respect (even though he then did something in book 4 that left me really mad - I'm still anxiously waiting for the last book this year).

If this consoled you (or not. Definitely not, hehe  ;D) Elaine continued to be more of that plot device/ motivational object later throughout the series until the finale at the third book (where something that happened to her played a pivotal role, no spoilers though!) It's seriously what put me off with the series as a whole, despite the amazing bloody action scenes and the cool assassin motif that got me interested in the first part. It's a series that's almost great, but still left many things to be desired, I'd say.

Since finishing the trilogy I haven't been able to motivate myself to pick up any more books by Brent Weeks yet. Maybe one day...

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12273 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:02 AM »
Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde a pleasant enough read

Offline Isabelle15

« Reply #12274 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12:52 AM »
I am a fan of Fantasy and Mystery books. The book I'm currently reading is "THE EMERALD DOORWAY" by R. Scott Lemriel. One of the best authors in my opinion, love all his books on . I get all the latest books from his website
https://nolinktoday
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:44:57 PM by xiagan »

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: January 17, 2019, 04:43:56 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

If this consoled you (or not. Definitely not, hehe  ;D) Elaine continued to be more of that plot device/ motivational object later throughout the series until the finale at the third book (where something that happened to her played a pivotal role, no spoilers though!) It's seriously what put me off with the series as a whole, despite the amazing bloody action scenes and the cool assassin motif that got me interested in the first part. It's a series that's almost great, but still left many things to be desired, I'd say.

Since finishing the trilogy I haven't been able to motivate myself to pick up any more books by Brent Weeks yet. Maybe one day...

I don't remember it actively bothering me when reading them, but thinking back the female characters were certainly less well-drawn than their male counterparts. Lightbringer id definitely a lot more balanced, though @ScarletBea is 100% right about a stupid event in Book 4. Kind of ruined the series for me, in all honesty.

On a happier note, yesterday I picked up Christoper Paolini's new book. Sort of a novella-cross-anthology about a few characters from Eragon and what they're doing now. Pretty light, but it's comforting to be back where I started my fantasy journey.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12276 on: January 17, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »
I am a fan of Fantasy and Mystery books. The book I'm currently reading is "THE EMERALD DOORWAY" by R. Scott Lemriel. One of the best authors in my opinion, love all his I am a fan of Fantasy and Mystery books. The book I'm currently reading is "THE EMERALD DOORWAY" by R. Scott Lemriel. One of the best authors in my opinion, love all his books on . I get all the latest books from his website https://nolinktoday

I am a fan of Fantasy and Mystery books. The book I'm currently reading is "THE EMERALD DOORWAY" by R. Scott Lemriel. One of the best authors in my opinion, love all his books on . I get all the latest books from his website
https://nolinktoday

How and why are there fantasy book spam bots? R. Scott Lemriel, what the f*ck did you do?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12277 on: January 18, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I don't remember it actively bothering me when reading them, but thinking back the female characters were certainly less well-drawn than their male counterparts. Lightbringer id definitely a lot more balanced, though @ScarletBea is 100% right about a stupid event in Book 4. Kind of ruined the series for me, in all honesty.

On a happier note, yesterday I picked up Christoper Paolini's new book. Sort of a novella-cross-anthology about a few characters from Eragon and what they're doing now. Pretty light, but it's comforting to be back where I started my fantasy journey.

Wait, there's a new Eragon novella? How is the MC though. Is he sitting old and alone in a deserted island, pondering on the foolishness of his choice in leaving Arya? (like Star Wars episode 8?)  ;D

Offline Alex Hormann

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: January 18, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »

Wait, there's a new Eragon novella? How is the MC though. Is he sitting old and alone in a deserted island, pondering on the foolishness of his choice in leaving Arya? (like Star Wars episode 8?)  ;D

Well it's a mountain not an island.  ;)

We don't actually see much of Eragon himself. There's a framing narrative  where he's building a new home for the Dragon Riders, but most of the novella is three stories that are told to him. One about magic, one about Angela, and one about the Urgals.

I finished it last night and enjoyed it. It's not so much a continuation of the story, but an expansion of the world.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #12279 on: January 20, 2019, 02:18:50 AM »
Currently reading ....

The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3) by James Oswald
Police detective series set in Edinburgh where the baddy is, or is messing with something supernatural.

The Bumper Book of Peanuts: Snoopy and Friends  by Charles M Schultz
Comic strip collection.

Space Team: The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team #2) by Barry J Hutchison
Listening to the audio version of this. Funny space adventure series.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12280 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:19 AM »
Currently reading ....

The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3) by James Oswald
Police detective series set in Edinburgh where the baddy is, or is messing with something supernatural.

The Bumper Book of Peanuts: Snoopy and Friends  by Charles M Schultz
Comic strip collection.

Space Team: The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team #2) by Barry J Hutchison
Listening to the audio version of this. Funny space adventure series.
Hi Jeni, nice to see you posting. I adore Peanuts was so far ahead of its time often.

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #12281 on: January 20, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
Just finished The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell after I was recommended it by a friend. A gripping story of the first mission to an alien world undertaken by Jesuit missionaries. The majority of it was very good but I found the ending rushed and unsatisfying. It also has a lot in common with The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber (but Russell's came first so that is maybe on Faber, not her).

Also read The End We Start From by Megan Hunter and that I really liked. It's a cli-fi disaster story but told in very sparse, poetic prose. I read the whole thing in two sittings and, although there is a lot of grimness in it, I found it uplifting. And there are some brilliantly evocative turns of phrase.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline Alex Hormann

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: January 20, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
I've started reading my way through Gollancz's new Golden Age Masterworks series. Both Henry Kuttner's Fury and C.L. Moore's Doomsday Morning have been great reads. Shame to see they've been forgotten.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12283 on: January 21, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
I finished Colours in the Steel (Fencer #1) by K J Parker over the weekend. I enjoyed it, and will be picking up book 2, even though book 1 was pretty well self-contained and it's not obvious where it's going next.

In the meantime, I've started Rhapsody in Black (Hooded Swan #2) by Brian Stableford, because I needed something short and easy to read. This is a space adventure from the early part of his career, in the 70s. I can't really remember much about what happened in the first book, so that's all I've got. I think there are six in the series, and I bought them all ages ago, so it's probably about time I got on with it.

This is also the start of my new idiotic plan to read a book whose title contains the word Black every month of 2019. I came up with this when I realised that I'd almost done it by accident for the last 4 months of 2018, and that I had several Black books I wanted to read in 2019. I don't know why I do this to myself. It seems that whenever my outstanding challenges start to run a bit low, I come up with something else.

Online Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #12284 on: January 21, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm still gripped by Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed - taking me a long while to read, but I've found it much denser than I thought. It's not an easy one to digest, but I'm enjoying it a lot, if confused at times.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns