June 17, 2019, 12:03:47 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1655299 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12240 on: January 10, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
I read Forge of Darkness two years ago and it's exactly as you describe, Peat and Alex. It has it's highs and very interesting things happening but it's a bit too philosophical and some sentences/scenes have to be chewed like gum. I could've lived without the grimmest scene I've read so far, too.

Fall of Light is on my nightstand for over a year now. It's huge and intimidating and I read maybe the first 80 pages and they were like Forge of Darkness so I'm not exactly motivated to read further. Especially when the last part of the trilogy isn't out yet...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #12241 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
The style of Kharkanas is inspired by the setting. Tiste Andii have always been a secretive and morose bunch all through Malazan, the most interesting Jaghut was the mad Lord of Death....so a story involving these races has to be heavy. There are no light characters in any of the races involved.

I bet they wouldn't give you the time of the day if you ran into them in Starbucks.

But I loved and pushed through the series for the story. The amount of information on some of the more mysterious characters from BotF was just so attractive to me that I was eagerly awaiting the third book and disappointed by the delay.

ICEs Path to Ascendancy is a lighter and more fun prequel in Malzan.

Let's see how Karsa trilogy comes up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:28:12 PM by Bender »
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12242 on: January 11, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
Sometimes I'm quite glad I didn't get on with Gardens of the Moon and wrote the whole thing off.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12243 on: January 11, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
Well, it depends what you like, hehe

I'm in the final leg of Erkison's House of Chains but I've also been reading a non-fiction book that turned out to be super interesting and relevant.
It's called 21 lessons for the 21st century, by Yuval Noah Harari, and it's made up of 21 chapters analysing the current issues of the world, and how/where, in terms of anthropology and sociology, we are going wrong. So far everything makes a lot of sense, and has made me look at reactions and actions, both from me and from other people, with a fresh pair of eyes.
I've got 3 chapters left, where I think he will propose some way forward.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

« Reply #12244 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm a huge Malazan fan and would lap at anything in that world.

Offline Egg

• Tribute
  • The egg that boils quickly, cracks just as fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29:33 PM »
I finally got most of the books I ordered, 8 out of 10. Already, I'm remembering how voracious a reader I was back in school - it hasn't been a week and I've already devoured MacPherson's "Here Be Dragons," and as of this morning I've started work on Barker's "Age of Assassins." My goal was to read these books over the course of the next three months, but at this rate I'll be lucky if I have any left by Valentine's Day!
He who seeks to cook the egg, must first look into himself, and find the recipe within.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12246 on: January 11, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »
I've already devoured MacPherson's "Here Be Dragons,"
Hey @OnlyOneHighlander, I've got you a fan ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12247 on: January 11, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Sometimes I'm quite glad I didn't get on with Gardens of the Moon and wrote the whole thing off.
I made it as far as Memories of Ice before bailing, but I feel much the same.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12248 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
How can you not be seduced by the epic finale of MoI?  :D

Offline Peat

« Reply #12249 on: January 12, 2019, 01:51:18 AM »
The style of Kharkanas is inspired by the setting. Tiste Andii have always been a secretive and morose bunch all through Malazan, the most interesting Jaghut was the mad Lord of Death....so a story involving these races has to be heavy. There are no light characters in any of the races involved.

I bet they wouldn't give you the time of the day if you ran into them in Starbucks.

But I loved and pushed through the series for the story. The amount of information on some of the more mysterious characters from BotF was just so attractive to me that I was eagerly awaiting the third book and disappointed by the delay.

ICEs Path to Ascendancy is a lighter and more fun prequel in Malzan.

Let's see how Karsa trilogy comes up.

Oh good lords I'm reading the troo grim nekro black metal of fantasy fiction  ;D

I could read Esslemont but, well, Eriksen's the big dog. I want to be able to say I've given his stuff a proper try.

But right now I'm hate-reading this story. For ages I've read the descriptions of Malazan and thought it sounded like everything I love. But reading this book, he's decided to love everything I don't. I should probably put it down and wait until I can find GotM or the 2nd book... but right now, I want to find out just how much I dislike about this book.

Because that is the troo grim nekro thing to do.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12250 on: January 12, 2019, 02:22:43 AM »
I really loved GotM. Fascinating, brilliant. Grim. Deeply engaging
But it took me three tries to finally get into and and then I couldn’t put it down.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12251 on: January 12, 2019, 03:15:13 AM »
If you can't stomach GotM, rest of Malazan ain't your cup of tea.

It's different as in you get dropped in middle of a war saga with no bearings. Just go with the flow and expect things will get better down the line and it's enjoyable. If you're expecting explanations and backstory after every chapter, you'll be disappointed.

Just get on the rollercoaster and enjoy the ride.

Imo the greatest fantasy series of all time. The world is so big, characters so engaging and varied that after 15+ books we haven't even scratched the surface.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:16:51 AM by Bender »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12252 on: January 12, 2019, 04:59:08 AM »
How can you not be seduced by the epic finale of MoI?  :D
Didn’t make it to the end. People said that about Deadhouse Gates and that didn’t float my boat. I got halfway through Memories of Ice and thought to myself ‘I really can’t bring myself to care about any of these characters or what their journey is’, put the book down, have never gone back, and nothing I’ve seen since has made me regret or rethink the decision.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12253 on: January 12, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Hmmm wondering if we should move these Malazan discussion posts to a separate thread... @xiagan what do you think?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12254 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:56 AM »
I find them interesting. Just saying.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com