March 23, 2019, 12:56:47 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1560957 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12225 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
Started Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed a few nights ago. Shaping up to be really interesting.
One of my favourite Le Guin books.

This is sitting on my kindle to read ... was on offer over Xmas.

The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:05 PM »
Thomas Cromwell: A Life by Diarmaid Maculloch. Set in a fantasy land called England.  About a man who rises up from humble beginnings to become the chief advisor to the king and makes big changes in the kingdom.  Have a sneaky feeling things will end badly for him.

Old Venus a "retro Venus science fiction"-themed anthology edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bender

« Reply #12227 on: January 09, 2019, 02:47:40 AM »
Finished Tad Williams Bobby Dollar trilogy. Liked book 1, but series went downhill from there. Barely readable Book 2 and had to skip read Book 3. Awful.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12228 on: January 09, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
Started Scythe By Neal Shutterstorm. Almost DNF'd it at first, but then it proved to become quite interesting. It's about an unique world with a highly respectable occupation, the Scythes, playing the major role in decreasing the world population in a world without death.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12229 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
Started John Dies at the End. Delightfully Twisted.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12230 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:40 PM »

I resent that title.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12231 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

I resent that title.  8)
Well, "John MK lives forever" is the sequel ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:08:19 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12232 on: January 09, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
Great book. I thought that the sequel This Book is Full of Spiders was even better.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12233 on: January 10, 2019, 03:01:16 AM »
I've only seen the movie

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12234 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Was it worth seeing?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12235 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:04 PM »
Yes.
It's like taking acid but without the risk of permanent psychosis and flashbacks.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12236 on: January 10, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
I just finished Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell. Its a slow starter for me, but it really sparks and takes off towards the middle and its a great twisty book... until it decides that how I want to finish a really fun mystery book is with a giant fight that takes forever. That is most incorrect. But it didn't detract too much.

What did detract a little was the black and white nature of many characters and other elements; I ask those who've read his other stuff, is that him or is that just him writing YA?

I'm now reading Forge of Darkness by Eriksen. The style - a deliberate throw back to narrated detail heavy epic fantasy - is quite stodgy and offputting. I'd probably not be reading this if I didn't want to give Eriksen a go all the way through and my library wasn't short of the first two books of Malazan.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »

I'm now reading Forge of Darkness by Eriksen. The style - a deliberate throw back to narrated detail heavy epic fantasy - is quite stodgy and offputting. I'd probably not be reading this if I didn't want to give Eriksen a go all the way through and my library wasn't short of the first two books of Malazan.

I've almost finished Forge of Darkness on my own re-read of Malazan. This and Fall of Light are definitely my least favourite parts of Malazan, so it'll be nice to get them out of the way first. The worldbuilding is really superb, next-level stuff, but the rest is a real struggle to keep my eyes from glossing over. If I read one more soldier's three page soliloquy on the futility of civilisation, I may just scream.

regarding the style of these prequels though, I did read an article somewhere about how it's modelled on Shakespearean dialogue. So each sentence is broken into fragments the length of a breath. Doesn't make it any easier to read, but it's certainly interesting.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12238 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »

I've almost finished Forge of Darkness on my own re-read of Malazan. This and Fall of Light are definitely my least favourite parts of Malazan, so it'll be nice to get them out of the way first. The worldbuilding is really superb, next-level stuff, but the rest is a real struggle to keep my eyes from glossing over. If I read one more soldier's three page soliloquy on the futility of civilisation, I may just scream.

regarding the style of these prequels though, I did read an article somewhere about how it's modelled on Shakespearean dialogue. So each sentence is broken into fragments the length of a breath. Doesn't make it any easier to read, but it's certainly interesting.

I can't help but be reminded of B. R. Myers' "A Reader's Manifesto" and its attack on affected and pretentious prose. I thought I loved language for language's sake, but I guess there's a limit and here it stands; prose stops beings interesting when it's hiding what's interesting about the message, instead of displaying it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12239 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
What did detract a little was the black and white nature of many characters and other elements; I ask those who've read his other stuff, is that him or is that just him writing YA?
Peat, I think it's him writing YA.
I mean, his Greatcoats series wasn't exactly a dark, convoluted picture of life, but I really enjoyed that one - I still haven't read his other books.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams