June 18, 2019, 04:07:59 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1656358 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12180 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
I read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 5/5

I knew there was a movie about it and this was really popular, but I wasn't really expecting much, considering I heard it was all about the 80s.

What a great surprise. You don't need to catch up some references (though some you'll definitely identify - Ultraman, Godzilla, etc) and I don't think everything was 80's (unless Neon Genesis Evangelion was made in the 80's).

This is most likely how I believe some people would do if VR became as powerful as this, but the book went even further than that, also showing the really bad side effects if you get addicted to it. It wasn't just romanticizing games and movies.

I loved RP1. Due to its success, there are boatloads of people who will tell you Ernie Cline is a horrible writer and RP1 is a horrible book, and I do have some critiques (the movie did some things better and some things worse) but overall, RP1 hit all my happy buttons and I'm happy Cline gets to live every nerd's dream of having his book made into a super cool movie. I look forward to the sequel!
Loved it when I first read it and I enjoyed a reread, although on my 3rd go through I found a few plot holes and some of the weaknesses in Cline's writing, still a good book, though. I think it suffers from 'tall poppy syndrome' where a certain group of people out there want to tear it down because it was popular.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12181 on: December 14, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
I've now started In the Vanishers' Palace, the new self-published book by Aliette de Bodard.
What a lovely lovely book!
If you want different stories from the quest-plot/medieval-society/western-based stories, please read Aliette's books.
This one is a very loose retelling of Beauty & the Beast, where the beast is a dragon (the eastern type one) that transforms into a woman at will.
There's romance and sci-fi and eastern magic and words as magic and changellings and pain and walls that stretch into infinity...

And it's a standalone and short, so a good choice for those who want to take a break from long series :)

Now, what's next? I'd like to finish another book before the end of the year, and I think that I won't read Malazan 4 in 2 weeks, so I might choose another from my TBR pile at home before then starting the year with a couple of Malazan ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:38:14 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: December 14, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
Try @Justan Henner short novel only a 1000 pages.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12183 on: December 14, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
;D

I'll start reading Rotherweird, by Andrew Caldecott. I'd been curious about this one, and found it in the charity shop the other week.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12184 on: December 14, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »
I finished The Grand Tour (Cecelia & Kate #2) by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed it, although I think I'd still say the first one has the edge. There didn't seem to be as much point in having two narrators when they are together for most of the book.

I've moved on to Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee, but I'm not really sure I'm in the right mood for it. I was a bit too tired last night and didn't take much in, and it seems like a book where you need to be on the ball.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: December 14, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »

It's a novellla, really.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12186 on: December 15, 2018, 01:07:17 AM »
I finished The Grand Tour (Cecelia & Kate #2) by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed it, although I think I'd still say the first one has the edge. There didn't seem to be as much point in having two narrators when they are together for most of the book.

I've moved on to Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee, but I'm not really sure I'm in the right mood for it. I was a bit too tired last night and didn't take much in, and it seems like a book where you need to be on the ball.
Tend to agree about the Cecy and Kate books. The 2nd and 3rd were fun, but they didn't have the magic of the first one.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12187 on: December 17, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »
I started the Silent City, by some random  ::) named G.R. Matthews who decided to try sci-fi
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline nettletea

« Reply #12188 on: December 17, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »
I finished Startide Rising last night. I really enjoyed this one and will try to write up my thoughts about it at some point, so I don't forget between now and reading The Uplift War. :)

Now i'm settling down to finish The Fitz and Fool trilogy this winter..

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12189 on: December 17, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
I'll start reading Rotherweird, by Andrew Caldecott. I'd been curious about this one, and found it in the charity shop the other week.
This is being super!
I think it will appeal lots to fans of Ben Aaronovich, and urban fantasy mixed with history :D

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12190 on: December 17, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
Currently reading The City Stained Red by Sam Sykes. I can't believe it's taken me this long to check out his work, as I am absolutely loving the story so far. It's like if the writing team from Buffy/Angel got to do a story in the Dragon Age universe. I'm only about 30% in but I'm hooked by the ensemble cast, fun interplay between characters, and clever/snarky dialogue.

If you only know Sam Sykes from his sh*tposting on Twitter, you should actually check out his books.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12191 on: December 18, 2018, 11:41:06 PM »
I started the Silent City, by some random  ::) named G.R. Matthews who decided to try sci-fi

That's not Sci-Fi. Geoff created his own genre, Submarine Noir!

Sam Sykes has no concept of time. Everything happens at once.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:43:03 PM by Rostum »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12192 on: December 21, 2018, 04:55:36 AM »
I'm done with The Waking Fire. The era, magic system, and settings are really refreshing, although I do admit to liking the earlier parts more than the second half (I'd like it more if it sticks to humans using the magic to fight one another, rather than shift into the Hollywood giant monster destroying the world theme). Liked it overall, but didn't feel enough attachment to the characters to warrant if I'd ever bought the second book.

On the other hand, I started Skyward. I mean, I don't normally (well never, actually) read Sci-fi, but it's Brandon Sanderson. I'd probably read a laundry detergent manual written by him any day.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12193 on: December 21, 2018, 08:03:55 AM »
I'd probably read a laundry detergent manual written by him any day.
;D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12194 on: December 21, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
Reading Weight of the Crown on kindle, but struggling imperfect translation silly mistakes and improbable actions added to an overly complex plot are making it slow going. I will finish (86% through) but my TBR contains stuff I would rather be reading.

I am a hunded pages in to Snakewood and I am enthralled. It is a simple story made complex by its fragmented telling and complex worldbuilding and very different to anything I have read in the past few years.