March 23, 2019, 11:03:45 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1560935 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12165 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »
I love snark-- and @tebakutis  you're the master of it!!  But this fell flat more me.  I thought your own stuff was way better :)

That is high praise. Thank you. :)

Offline nettletea

« Reply #12166 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »
I am still enjoying Startide Rising, but the wind was blowing over the fen tonight and it had the bite of winter in it.. so I made some tea and made my return to the Realm of the Elderlings - just started Fool's Quest. Very excited! :)

(I tried to attach a picture but got a "The upload folder is full" error message.)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12167 on: December 05, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
I am still enjoying Startide Rising, but the wind was blowing over the fen tonight and it had the bite of winter in it.. so I made some tea and made my return to the Realm of the Elderlings - just started Fool's Quest. Very excited! :)

(I tried to attach a picture but got a "The upload folder is full" error message.)
Yay!

And @nettletea, you can't add photos here using that facility, you need to follow these instructions:
1. Find or save your photos on a site (it can be on places like flickr)
2. Right-click the photo, select 'copy image link'
3. Come here, click the little Mona Lisa icon (second from left in second row) and paste that link inbetween the tags.

If they look too big, write height=350 inside the first tag, like [img height=350]
Ta da!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline nettletea

« Reply #12168 on: December 05, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:36:17 PM by nettletea »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12169 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:54 AM »
I've just started The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan and absolutely loving it. I'm intrigue by the world and age the novel is set in (especially since I don't usually read flintlock-era fantasy) and the unique magic system from drinking drake's blood. I think I'll have to get my hands on more flintlock fantasy.  :D 

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12170 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
I've just started The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan and absolutely loving it. I'm intrigue by the world and age the novel is set in (especially since I don't usually read flintlock-era fantasy) and the unique magic system from drinking drake's blood. I think I'll have to get my hands on more flintlock fantasy.  :D
Oooh you're in for a treat! I also loved book 2, although the last left me a bit underwhelmed, but it's a great series :D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #12171 on: December 07, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
So I did end up picking up The Poppy War again. And got quickly sucked in as it went into full fledged Shamanism territory, and did it incredibly well.

Then lost interest when the war started.

Then regained interest when the Shamanism became important again.

The darkest parts of this book are, for once, among the best. Its darkness for a reason and Exhibit A of how Fantasy can be great at tackling real world problems - there's not much appetite for a book on the Rape of Nanjang and other instances of Japanese cruelty, but there is an an appetite for a fantasy book that includes them tactfully in an interesting story. I can see how it would jar but it didn't jar me.

And then I raced through the ending so I could end it.

I really don't know what to think about this book. It feels like 5 different books in once, some breathtakingly good and others that I would not finish. I suppose that taken as a journey I'm happy I read it and read it all. I'm happy enough to have read it that I was mildly excited to see a publication date for the sequel.

Would I recommend it to others? Yes, but with reservations.

In a weird way, I'd say the book is a lot like Eye of the World. Its an interesting story with an emphasis on internal growth and truama that's somewhat let down by the decision to start it in a super cliched way that doesn't really add much unless you're a fan of that cliche for the sake of that cliche.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12172 on: December 08, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Finished Tool of war. I have started The weight of the crown on kindle  and Snakewood.

Tool of war is an off shoot from the Ship Breakers and a continuation from the Drowned Cities and was very readable, but I don't think it compares well with some of his other works.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12173 on: December 09, 2018, 11:53:46 PM »
I read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 5/5

I knew there was a movie about it and this was really popular, but I wasn't really expecting much, considering I heard it was all about the 80s.

What a great surprise. You don't need to catch up some references (though some you'll definitely identify - Ultraman, Godzilla, etc) and I don't think everything was 80's (unless Neon Genesis Evangelion was made in the 80's).

This is most likely how I believe some people would do if VR became as powerful as this, but the book went even further than that, also showing the really bad side effects if you get addicted to it. It wasn't just romanticizing games and movies.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12174 on: December 10, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
I've now started In the vanishers' palace, the new self-published book by Aliette de Bodard.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12175 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »
I finished my foray into general fiction, and have moved on to The Grand Tour by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. This is the second of the Cecelia & Kate historical fantasies of manners. I'm enjoying it so far, although I think it might be longer than I thought.

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #12176 on: December 10, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
After finally finishing The Wheel of Time series I've got a few to catch up on and started with Bloody Rose. 

If it's half as good as Kings of the Wyld it will be brilliant!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: December 10, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
Finished The Winter Road. While I still enjoyed the world and the plot, I'm afraid I don't rate it very highly. I found the writing oddly hard to follow. I think it was deliberate, to have a less-educated narrator, but it didn't work for me.

I'm now on book 12 of Gaunt's Ghosts, hoping my nearly-empty tbr will last me until my birthday.  (The problem with asking for nothing but books is that you have to stop buying them yourself  ::) )

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12178 on: December 11, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »

I knew there was a movie about it and this was really popular, but I wasn't really expecting much, considering I heard it was all about the 80s.

What a great surprise. You don't need to catch up some references (though some you'll definitely identify - Ultraman, Godzilla, etc) and I don't think everything was 80's (unless Neon Genesis Evangelion was made in the 80's).

This is most likely how I believe some people would do if VR became as powerful as this, but the book went even further than that, also showing the really bad side effects if you get addicted to it. It wasn't just romanticizing games and movies.

I loved RP1. Due to its success, there are boatloads of people who will tell you Ernie Cline is a horrible writer and RP1 is a horrible book, and I do have some critiques (the movie did some things better and some things worse) but overall, RP1 hit all my happy buttons and I'm happy Cline gets to live every nerd's dream of having his book made into a super cool movie. I look forward to the sequel!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12179 on: December 11, 2018, 04:14:34 PM »

I loved RP1. Due to its success, there are boatloads of people who will tell you Ernie Cline is a horrible writer and RP1 is a horrible book, and I do have some critiques (the movie did some things better and some things worse) but overall, RP1 hit all my happy buttons and I'm happy Cline gets to live every nerd's dream of having his book made into a super cool movie. I look forward to the sequel!

Re: the movie, WTF was Rush?! (as in, where in the f...)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com