December 19, 2018, 10:05:29 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1495499 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12120 on: November 16, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »
During this week I managed to read three books.

Read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. 5/5.
I wasn't expecting much and it ended up surprising me a lot.

Read The Epic of Gilgamesh by some Sumerian author. 2/5
The style was too dated for me, unfortunately. I felt at times I was reading the Bible haha... much better to read about the story than to actually read it.

And just finished I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. 2/5
It's actually a collection of short stories. Only the first one worked for me, the rest didn't do much. If it wasn't for some creative situations involving the Three Laws, I would have given this a 1*.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12121 on: November 17, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
Had the same issue with JS&MN myself the first time. I reread it some years later and had a much better experience.
I enjoyed the series, so it's not a question of subject - I think for me the main problem with these books is really the writing style: far too much "true vitorian", like the classics that I also can't read.

Interestingly enough, it's the same style as some contemporary books from portuguese authors that I had to study at school, and also really struggled to read (and hated analysing them!)

I think I'm in the same boat. I find most Victorian age literature - and imitations there of - to have a rather stiff and dense feeling to it that creates a sense of distance and a feeling of work. Give me faux-Georgian any day.
Interesting that you've bith pegged it as Victorian. It apes Austen, and she was Regency.  Predates Victoria by about 20 years.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12122 on: November 17, 2018, 06:29:24 AM »
Oh no, I find Austen and the Brontes *very* different in writing style to the books we're talking about!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12123 on: November 17, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
Quote from: Lanko link=topic=104.msg191303#msg191303 date=15424089
Read [b
The Epic of Gilgamesh[/b] by some Sumerian author. 2/5
The style was too dated for me, unfortunately. I felt at times I was reading the Bible haha... much better to read about the story than to actually read it.

It probably had a prologue and lots of adverbs.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12124 on: November 17, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Oh no, I find Austen and the Brontes *very* different in writing style to the books we're talking about!
The Brontes were Victorian writers, Jane Austen was not. She died in 1817, 20 years before Victoria took the throne, it was in fact 2 years before she was even born. JS&MN is described as a pastiche of styles, including Austen, it is set in the early 19th century, during the Napoleonic Wars, which is the same period Austen set her books. One of the main reasons being that she drew on her own life for her books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12125 on: November 17, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »
Quote from: Lanko link=topic=104.msg191303#msg191303 date=15424089
Read [b
The Epic of Gilgamesh[/b] by some Sumerian author. 2/5

It probably had a prologue and lots of adverbs.

Damn, how did you know?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Peat

« Reply #12126 on: November 18, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
The Brontes were Victorian writers, Jane Austen was not. She died in 1817, 20 years before Victoria took the throne, it was in fact 2 years before she was even born. JS&MN is described as a pastiche of styles, including Austen, it is set in the early 19th century, during the Napoleonic Wars, which is the same period Austen set her books. One of the main reasons being that she drew on her own life for her books.

Well, I've never read Austen so I can't comment as to whether I'd enjoy her style, but whatever was added to the JS&MN pastiche didn't make it feel Regency despite the fact that, yes, stopping to think, I know that of course it is. Maybe if I re-read carefully I'd feel different?

p.s. Re Gilgamesh - I think there's a few good modern retellings around. Silverberg did a decent one.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12127 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
Well, I finished those chunks of Mein Kampf I was supposed to read for university. I can safely say that in addition to being a monster Hitler was a shitty, shitty writer.

God, what a boring read.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12128 on: November 20, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
Now reading Here be dragons, David MacPherson, also known as @OnlyOneHighlander in certain circles ;)

I'm enjoying it so much ;D
(that comment about men keeping everything just in case made me laugh as my dad was telling me exactly that yesterday, showing me around the garage :D)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Mistborn
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: November 20, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
I'm sat staring at the front cover of Sisterhood of Dune Really hoping I enjoy it as once I'm done, there's no more Dune for me to read. The series has had ups and downs, so it would be nice to end on a high.

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #12130 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
Now reading Here be dragons, David MacPherson, also known as @OnlyOneHighlander in certain circles ;)

(that comment about men keeping everything just in case made me laugh as my dad was telling me exactly that yesterday, showing me around the garage :D)

I approve this message  ;D
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12131 on: November 23, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »

I approve this message  ;D
I finished it last night, I really loved it!! :D
I could easily see the comparison with Pratchett, but being its own book and plot. I loved the characters, even the baddies!

@OnlyOneHighlander do you have more books? I want more ;D

@Lady Ty I think you'll love this one too :D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12132 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
I've just finished Nevernight by Jay Kristoff, and it's quite amazing. The Red Church reminded me of Harry Potter in many aspects, but the author did a splendid job of combining those magical, school elements to the gritty nature of fanatical assassin's life. There were a tad too many sex scenes, but overall I totally loved the book.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12133 on: November 24, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
Heard a lot about Kushiel's Dart over the years so I finally gave it a go.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12134 on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
I'm now reading Philip Pullman's La belle sauvage. I'm quite enjoying being back in that world, although I think this feels 'younger' than His Dark Materials series did.