December 19, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1495680 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12105 on: November 10, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »
Finished White Night (Dresden Files #9). Great as always, and despite the length of the series each book had managed to impressed me even further. The Dresden Files have become one of my favorite series for sure.  :D

Offline Skip

« Reply #12106 on: November 10, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
I started Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

Let's see what it is all about. The introduction by the author was brilliant, though (if you have some writing aspiration, that is).

Authors looking for another reason to be depressed about their own writing will note that she was eighteen when she wrote Frankenstein and only twenty when it was published.
Visit Altearth

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12107 on: November 10, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »
I started Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

Let's see what it is all about. The introduction by the author was brilliant, though (if you have some writing aspiration, that is).

Authors looking for another reason to be depressed about their own writing will note that she was eighteen when she wrote Frankenstein and only twenty when it was published.
She didn't write a great deal after, what she did however write wasn't genre fiction. A lot of her efforts were given over to trying to get her husband (the poet Percy Shelley) published. Would have been interesting to be a guest on that Venetian island where Byron challenged the others to write a ghost story. Not only did that challenge give us Frankenstein, but also Polidori's The Vampyre, whuch in turn inspired Stoker's Dracula.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12108 on: November 11, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
Finished the Eyre Affair fun but a bit pat for me Started the 2nd laundry files book. Strange reading with a fever but as good as the first.

BTW for any readers of the Register I can make an educated guess at who writes BOFH.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Mistborn
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
Finished the brilliant Magefallby Stephen Aryan last might. Just the shot of heroic fantasy I was looking for.

Next up is Skyward, the new Brandon Sanderson. It's quite removed from his Cosmere work but I have high hopes nevertheless.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12110 on: November 13, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »
I'm currently reading "Mein Kampf", for university.

... don't really recommend the experience.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12111 on: November 13, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
I'm currently reading "Mein Kampf", for university.

... don't really recommend the experience.

I have an original from my great grandfather who removed the cover and wrote "Diary of a Cannibal" there instead. It's a bit hard to read because it is in Tannenberg font (see picture below) and I'm actually not that interested in reading it...

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12112 on: November 14, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
I'm reading Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. About a hundred pages in, and it's terrific so far. I was hesitant to start it due to numerous assassin-in-training novel in the market these days, and the fact that it's grimdark, but now I'm so glad I give it a try.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12113 on: November 14, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
I finished Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik last night. I enjoyed it, and must try to read the last two in the series before I forget everything again.

Next up, though, is Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton, the second half of the Commonwealth Saga. I've been trying to make some room for this mammoth space opera since I read part 1 last year, but it's over 1200 pages long so I kept putting it off until I'd met most of my other goals for the year. I'll be surprised if I can even get this book into the What Did You Read in November thread, but I'll give it a shot.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12114 on: November 15, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
I've started Under the pendulum sun, Jeannette Ng
Still very much in the beginning, but I see the potential: steampunk/fake victorian of young woman visiting the land of the Fae to find her brother, who's a missionary there.

I'm being a bit put off by the religion part of it, I wonder if it will continue...

Ok, this is one of those books where I really should have read the author description first, then I wouldn't have been so surprised with the focus on theology.
I'm about 2 thirds in, and as I said I could/can see the potential, but it's being a bit of a drag, and I read just a chapter or two (they're short) at a time. I started skipping the (quite long) "chapter introductions" (how do you call them, those extras that appear at the start of each chapter), and I'm normally a person who quites enjoy them.

@Peat, you told me it didn't click with you, I'm definitely agreeing.

Today I noticed on LT that a recommendation for people who like this one is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I can definitely see the connection. Funnily enough, that was also a book I churned through, with difficulty...

(now why does this happen with books I've actually bought instead of those I got from the library, eh? ::) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #12115 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
Still very much in the beginning, but I see the potential: steampunk/fake victorian of young woman visiting the land of the Fae to find her brother, who's a missionary there.

I'm being a bit put off by the religion part of it, I wonder if it will continue...

Ok, this is one of those books where I really should have read the author description first, then I wouldn't have been so surprised with the focus on theology.
I'm about 2 thirds in, and as I said I could/can see the potential, but it's being a bit of a drag, and I read just a chapter or two (they're short) at a time. I started skipping the (quite long) "chapter introductions" (how do you call them, those extras that appear at the start of each chapter), and I'm normally a person who quites enjoy them.

Today I noticed on LT that a recommendation for people who like this one is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I can definitely see the connection. Funnily enough, that was also a book I churned through, with difficulty...

(now why does this happen with books I've actually bought instead of those I got from the library, eh? ::) )

Murphy's Law at work!

You got further than me. Its a fantastic idea but I thought the story struggled to escape the density of all that prose and all those ideas.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12116 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »

Had the same issue with JS&MN myself the first time. I reread it some years later and had a much better experience.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12117 on: November 15, 2018, 09:46:48 PM »
ploughed through book 3 of the laundry files and started book 4. All other reading has been put aside. I guess I need an urban fix.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12118 on: November 16, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
Had the same issue with JS&MN myself the first time. I reread it some years later and had a much better experience.
I enjoyed the series, so it's not a question of subject - I think for me the main problem with these books is really the writing style: far too much "true vitorian", like the classics that I also can't read.

Interestingly enough, it's the same style as some contemporary books from portuguese authors that I had to study at school, and also really struggled to read (and hated analysing them!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #12119 on: November 16, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »
I enjoyed the series, so it's not a question of subject - I think for me the main problem with these books is really the writing style: far too much "true vitorian", like the classics that I also can't read.

Interestingly enough, it's the same style as some contemporary books from portuguese authors that I had to study at school, and also really struggled to read (and hated analysing them!)

I think I'm in the same boat. I find most Victorian age literature - and imitations there of - to have a rather stiff and dense feeling to it that creates a sense of distance and a feeling of work. Give me faux-Georgian any day.