October 15, 2018, 04:17:18 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1446327 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #12030 on: October 11, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
I finished A Calculated Life by Anne Charnock last night. A good short SF novel. I now find out there's a semi-sequel novella I'm going to have to look up.

I'm planning to read The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso next, mainly because I have it in paper and want to make some progress on my physical book stacks, and also because it was a Morningstar nominee and my only remaining long-term challenge is to read all the books that have ever been shortlisted.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12031 on: October 11, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »
I've now started The court of broken knives by Anna Smith Spark.
I'm still quite in the beginning, but it's being a bit meh... I hope it picks up soon.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12032 on: October 11, 2018, 09:23:50 PM »
I finished Poul Anderson's The Boat of a Million Years. A solid six out of five for me and an author I'll likely read more from.

Do you know the feeling when a book stays with you and you think about it when not reading it and after you finished it? This is such a book.

Next I'm thinking about trying out Sanderson's Alcatraz and the evil Librarians books. Light and funny YA. Anyone read them?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:43:57 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12033 on: October 13, 2018, 03:56:31 AM »
Finished Warbreaker. It's amazing, with more twists and turns in the book than a box of screws. The story started out pretty slow, without any major action scenes, but it picked up splendidly with all the twists and turns (esp. the later portions). Lightsong the Bold and Vivenna have officially become my fifth and sixth most favorite characters in fantasy, their character traits and developments throughout the book is beyond amazing. Would recommend to anyone.  :D

Now, could we talk about that connection between Warbreaker and Oathbringer? I'm dying to discuss it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So Nightblood ended up becomming Szeth's sword, but how did Nin son God got his hand on it in the first place? Vivenna went under the name of Azure, and had she managed to craft an Awakened blade like Nightblood? (there's a scene where Adolin observed her mysterious shardblade, which turned people into smoke). How did Vivenna and Nightblood got to Roshar in the first place anyway? Did they tagged along with Hoid?

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12034 on: October 14, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
I've now started The court of broken knives by Anna Smith Spark.
I'm still quite in the beginning, but it's being a bit meh... I hope it picks up soon.
The plot got better, but something that keeps jarring me is the style variance. You get 3rd person POV, 1st person POV, past tense, present tense, action and stories... I don't mind either of those, or even a couple combined, but it seems the book has got everything but the kitchen sink with lots of changes.
Or maybe I'm just being picky...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12035 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
I thought the intro chapter was poor but the writing excellent in the first book.

Still reading Grey Bastards and finding it problematic....

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12036 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »
I finished Poul Anderson's The Boat of a Million Years. A solid six out of five for me and an author I'll likely read more from.

Do you know the feeling when a book stays with you and you think about it when not reading it and after you finished it? This is such a book.

I just finished Jo Walton's Small Change series, and I have the same feelings about that, especially the first two books; Farthing and Ha'penny.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com