September 23, 2018, 11:10:06 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1431888 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11895 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Finished Violent Century. Unusual but solid book. Alternative reality of WWII with super heroes (or should I say Übermenschen?).
Spoiler for Hiden:
A book where I absolutely didn't expect a happy ending but got one (more or less) nevertheless. :)

In the middle of Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. This woman can write... I'm envious.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11896 on: August 15, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »
Finished Violent Century. Unusual but solid book. Alternative reality of WWII with super heroes (or should I say Übermenschen?).

Nietchze was a proto-Nazi. I'm just saying.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11897 on: August 15, 2018, 05:04:34 AM »
I've been making slow progress on Red Sister. I like it, but I never feel that dying need to know what's going to happen next.

I've been in a reading slump in general.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11898 on: August 15, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
I'm now reading Anthony Ryan's last Draconis Memoria book, The empire of ashes!
I was first (only?) on the list to get it from my library as soon as it was published/ordered, hehe

I'm not sure if it's me or if it's the story, but I'm finding this book quite uneven. Some parts keep me reading, others are a bit meh :-\ I loved book 2, so this is being a bit of a disappointment... I've got about 1/3 left and it is picking up, so maybe it was just the beginning
Finished this one last night - book 2 is still my favourite.
I felt that the ending was a bit of a let down, too rushed, and quite different to what was expected. While this can of course be a good thing, it's annoying when the reader is taken along a path for 2.5 books and then suddenly it verges.
(I felt the same with Brett's The core)

And a general comment: what is it with books that end with the big battle and then have just a couple of pages/epilogue for the aftermath? Don't writers realise that after investing themselves in the characters for so long, readers could use a bit of calm and a glimpse of what "life afterwards" is?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11899 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »

How did you find The Core, Scarlet? I'm having some interest in the book itself, so I'm eager to know more about it. Since I've DNF'd a boatload of books lately I'm being cautious and trying to prevent the pile from growing any larger.  :P

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11900 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »

How did you find The Core, Scarlet? I'm having some interest in the book itself, so I'm eager to know more about it. Since I've DNF'd a boatload of books lately I'm being cautious and trying to prevent the pile from growing any larger.  :P
Well, you should only read it if you've read the previous 4 books in the series, hehe
Despite some variance in quality along the books, for me, this still remains a series that is worth reading and I think you would really enjoy :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11901 on: August 15, 2018, 12:01:40 PM »

Nietchze was a proto-Nazi. I'm just saying.
The Nazis referred to and used Nietsche's writings, yes. But they cherry-picked like most Christians do with the Bible. Nietzsche was an European.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #11902 on: August 15, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
Have anyone read a Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Sparks? I started it yesterday, and it was quite the unusual book.

The prose is very unique, not really descriptive but flows very well in short bursts/ fragments. The dialogue, as many people have said, reminded me of a stage play in a respect. There are also tons of genuinely good dark humor here as well, along with the POV saying at least five 'fuck' on at least every page.

I'd recommend this to people looking for something out of the usual for a change.   8)   

I read and really enjoyed Court of Broken Knives last year, although the ending did fall a little flat for me. Definitely one of the most vividly written books on my shelf though. I've got the sequel The Tower of Living and Dying on my tbr stack now, will probably get to it by the end of the week. Just to need to get through a bit more of my Space Opera collection first.

On the Space Opera theme, I finished Dune: The Battle of Corrin las night. Definitely one of the best Dune prequels, and now I'm only a Butlerian Jihad and a Sisterhood away from having completed the Dune series.

Offline Peat

« Reply #11903 on: August 15, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Been doing some re-reading (Feet of Clay and Echoes of the Great Song) and currently picking my way through The Silence of Gethsemane by Michel Benoit, a fictionalised novel about the historical Jesus. Very fascinating, but hard going in places.

Got an itch for something new and fun though. I should probably consult what my kindle already has loaded on it...
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: August 15, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »
Finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Hyena and the Hawk (slightly disappointing finale, but still a good trilogy) and will now finally pick up the famous Lies of Locke Lamora and see what it's all about  :)
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48:30 PM »
Finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Hyena and the Hawk (slightly disappointing finale, but still a good trilogy) and will now finally pick up the famous Lies of Locke Lamora and see what it's all about  :)

It’s a bit dated now as it came out 12 years ago  j/k 😛 you can still join the book club !
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:56 AM »

It’s a bit dated now as it came out 12 years ago  j/k 😛 you can still join the book club !

But if Saraband reads the Lies and the next two really slowly he may even manage to go straight on to The Thorn of Emberlain. :D

Only just found out it is a seven book series. Will not bother any more because somehow doubt I will ever see Inherit the Night.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11907 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:58 AM »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11908 on: August 16, 2018, 06:44:19 AM »

But if Saraband reads the Lies and the next two really slowly he may even manage to go straight on to The Thorn of Emberlain. :D

Only just found out it is a seven book series. Will not bother any more because somehow doubt I will ever see Inherit the Night.
There are 7 planned books, but they're fairly self contained. The reader is given some sense of resolution.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11909 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
There are 7 planned books, but they're fairly self contained. The reader is given some sense of resolution.
I agree with this.
I've read the first 2 (I preferred the second, to be honest), and they can very much be read individually.